Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Media Blasted Some Old Wide Fives
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
So I just got these old Wide 5's back from being blasted. They are steel and were chromed. I had all the rust removed, as well as much of the chrome, but some remains as I want them to have a kind of unfinished look.

My question is what is the best way to remove the rest of the remaining media bits and prep them to be clear-coated and/or painted? I didn't know if I should just hose them off.....but putting water on them doesn't sound like the best idea. Any thoughts? ....and, yes, I know these are cheap, heavy wheels, but I'm kinda just dick'n around at this stage. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Treat with Ospho and shoot with a heavy epoxy primer before paint is ideal.

You may be able to get away with rustoleum.
Andyrew
If you want to wipe something off, wax and grease remover in a spray bottle then wipe with a cloth.

I wouldnt let water touch it..

Personally I would use a scrub pad and give it a good scratch, then air blow it, then some wax and grease and if you want it that color clear, if you want it in paint, prime and paint like Mark said.
Literati914
Are you gonna some how put those on a 914?
Craigers17
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Nov 20 2019, 12:28 PM) *

I'm going to tentatively say no, because they are a VW offset, and with the 10mm adapter, I don't think they would fit. Also, I would surely face unmitigated ridicule....so no? That said, they are 14×6 happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Nov 20 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Also, I would surely face unmitigated ridicule....so no? That said, they are 14×6 happy11.gif

F#ck that noise. If you want them on your car, make it happen. Let your freak flag fly.

Zach
Craigers17
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 20 2019, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Nov 20 2019, 12:41 PM) *

Also, I would surely face unmitigated ridicule....so no? That said, they are 14×6 happy11.gif

F#ck that noise. If you want them on your car, make it happen. Let your freak flag fly.

Zach

Unfortunately, my inner freak runs deep. It will mostly depend on how the overall wheel looks after paint/clear and being mated to the adapter plate. I finally found one made by Vintagespeedwerks that looks subtle enough to give it a shot.....fitment will be the other variable.
Craigers17
Thanks Mark and Andyrew,....I appreciate the tips...I'll give those techniques a shot and see what I come up with!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.