Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914 at Sotheby's Auction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcheek
As the original owner to number 3411, it should be interesting to see what the market will bare for number 3888.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/on00/rm-...e-914-20/834877

Looks to be a very high level restoration.

No reserve auction ends 11/20/19.

Dave
ndfrigi
what a documentation provided and looks very clean.
drem914
related to another thread about horns for '75-'76 cars, it looks like the horns are installed in the front trunk next to the headlight motors. Am I seeing that correct?
914Sixer
Those are the rubber boots on headlight motor not horns. I always bothers me when I see the underside black. Looks like it was painted all the way to the underside of engine shelf.
johnhora
drem914...no that's not a horn...it's the black round shape rubber cover for the headlight actuator arm.

It does need some of the plastic covers for that area.

Also just a couple little nit picky things..
Ditch the Euro lens and KYB shocks for this very nice 914. smile.gif
DickSteinkamp
Nicely photographed too!
rhodyguy
I have no prob with KYBs on a budget build. On a 60-70k car? Weird.
drem914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Nov 20 2019, 01:32 PM) *

drem914...no that's not a horn...it's the black round shape rubber cover for the headlight actuator arm.

I should have just peaked inside my own hood and I would have realized that. Sorry for the interruption. Now back to your regular programing.
johnhora
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 20 2019, 02:55 PM) *

I have no prob with KYBs on a budget build. On a 60-70k car? Weird.

I agree...no problem with the KYBs...decent shock for the price...
but for this car come on... put the real deal on there. smile.gif
Jett
QUOTE(drem914 @ Nov 20 2019, 11:26 AM) *

related to another thread about horns for '75-'76 cars, it looks like the horns are installed in the front trunk next to the headlight motors. Am I seeing that correct?

Correct. 75 two metal horns facing down and 76 one. (potentially corrected by JeffBow on another thread... Appearance package cars have two horns... maybe).

It looks like I found a set smile.gif
rhodyguy
Those Mahle wheels are correct, desirable and considered an upgrade?
AmjadY
Ok, I get that this is a beautiful restoration, but someone please tell me how a '76 914, even a rotisserie restoration, is valued at $60-80k!?

I must be missing something?

914werke
Simple: limited # (& lowest qty) of MY cars as they are all leftover 75's. Supposed to be 2.0L only with all options but Ive seen all manner of trim on 76's
Transition yr, with introduction of the 1 yr only 912e as a stop gap followed by the water pumpers in 77
ctc911ctc
Wow, went through all of the pictures twice. That is a very honest 100 point restore. It would be like driving one off of the lot at the North Shore Porsche Dealership in Kenilworth Illinois as I dreamed of doing in 1976. Memories!

Starting with a clean car from AZ or SCal you are going to be North of 50K not counting labor. Not sure the market will appreciate the costs, but I sure do.
914werke
Odd vinyl pattern kinda blotchy ~? Agree a resto to the level can COST nearly that amount.
dcheek
QUOTE(AmjadY @ Nov 20 2019, 06:08 PM) *

Ok, I get that this is a beautiful restoration, but someone please tell me how a '76 914, even a rotisserie restoration, is valued at $60-80k!?

I must be missing something?

The same could be said about split window 23 window VW buses when they hit 100K at auction. It's what someone is willing to pay is what makes its value. I would almost guarantee that the new owner will garner more attention with this car than many late model exotics simply because of the 914 story, and the fact that most were abused or neglected.

Dave
Chi-town
This reminds me of the blue one that sold a few months back, way too much money for an ok car.

KYB shocks, Birsch exhaust, glossy top, and quite a few other little things wrong with it.

There is a specific group of profiteers who put cars like this together just to take advantage of automotive trends and people who don't know any better.

I've watched it happen with quite a few other makes and models (Hemi Mopar anyone? laugh.gif ) and I really think these people should be ashamed of themselves. chair.gif

infraredcalvin
1hr 35min to go, at $8500 - uh oh... panic sets in...
rhodyguy
The ballon will burst with enough altitude. They won't showcase this attempted sale on TV. Not with the debacle with that early car. Fresh wound. 'Missed it by that much Chief...'
GregAmy
Did it just get pulled...? I was reading it and then "poof".
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 20 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Correct. 75 two metal horns facing down and 76 one.

Really? Mine has had two horns mounted on the bottom til I switched to early bumpers.
dcheek
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 21 2019, 10:01 AM) *

Link I posted does not show this car???????
They must have taken it down.

Dave
Chi-town
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 21 2019, 10:01 AM) *

Probably pulled it after he realized he wasn't even going to get $10k for it. laugh.gif
Be prepared to have it pop up again on BAT or in Monterey rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
Offered at no reserve. dry.gif should have sold for the last highest bid+premium.
AmjadY
Yeah, no reserve unless it flops in which case they pull it????

IF thats what happened what a scam. I went to Barrett Jackson for the first time last year in WPB and was very disenchanted. Ghost bidders right in front of the crowd, running up the auctions.

rhodyguy
Could be bidding opened at $8.5k and no takers at all. No telling how it progressed. Online real time auction. Like eBay for the well heeled.
Jett
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 21 2019, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Nov 20 2019, 05:03 PM) *

Correct. 75 two metal horns facing down and 76 one.

Really? Mine has had two horns mounted on the bottom til I switched to early bumpers.

Sorry you are right... JeffBowlsby corrected me. the current thinking is that two horns came with Appearance Package cars. Does your car have an Appearance Package?
Bleyseng
Yes, my car came with everything possible. AC, Sport and Appearance packages.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.