Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Considering migrating from a Miata... am I crazy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuzzybeanbag
Hi all,

First - sorry ahead of time if you've seen a million of these posts...

I currently own a rare-ish 95 M Edition Miata (the purple one); low mileage, exceptionally maintained, race suspension bla bla, etc. It is a fun car, a weekend tosser if you will, and the 2nd one I've owned so I know my way around Miatas.

Recently, I've been looking around 914s in the CA Bay Area, a car that I've always liked (and only because if the flip-up headlights)... and come across a couple that are priced fairly well and appear to be fairly restored, at least cosmetically.

But - I am a stranger to aircooled drivetrains, my familiarity with VAGs is limited to MK6 GTI, B7 Passats, C7 A6 TDI and B8.5 A4s... so fancy modern cars.

What am I potentially getting myself into? I am good with a screwdriver and a hammer; can even handle a wire stripper and a soldering iron... But in the years I've owned my Miata, aside from the occasional oil change, brake pad/rotor maintenance, and tightening of a slightly leaky oil pan drain plug, I had to do zero work on the car...

... it also has a working A/C.

Thanks in advance!

sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif

Superhawk996

welcome.png

You're not crazy but beware if you're not mechanically inclined you will either need to gain skills fast, or you'll spend crazy money paying someone else to learn. There are not many mechanics around that really understand these cars and it doesn't make sense IMHO to pay someone else to learn at your expense.

I started with a 914 in the mid 80's and went to a 91' Miata when I graduated college in 94'. I'm now back to a 914.

Similarities:
Both are about 2000 lb cars (95' Miata a fair bit heavier than my 91').

Both are open air converible and great fun.

Both are great handling vehicles.

Great owners clubs and on-line forums for each.

Dissimilarities:
The Miata was nearly maintenance free. A 914 is not.

The Miata had much better ride quality and was fine for long trips. The 914 is more tiresome. Don't get me wrong I've done long trips in both but the 914 does leave you a bit more tired at the end of a day.

The Miata had fully functional heat and A/C. 914's not so much. I thought I had gone to heaven when I spent my 1st winter and 1st hot summer in the Miata!

Miata's are a dime a dozen. 914's aren't.

Miata parts are reasonably cheap, and plentiful. 914 parts prices are now Porsche prices. This forum is great for helping people find parts but they aren't as cheap as Miata parts. happy11.gif
VaccaRabite
If you think of a 914 as a noisy Miata with way worse maintenance issues and no A/C you will have it on the nose.

In my mind the 914 is the cooler car. But driving them is similar (at last in stock or near stock trim). Both are momentum cars that can REALLY carve and hold in a turn. Both feel about the same speed (again stock to near stock trim) and are slow cars that can be driven fast.

You will be giving up AC and easy maintenance for a car that is appreciating in value and gets a lot of cool nostalgia points.

If you are handy and like to mod, you can build a monster 914 in some ways easier then building a monster miata.

While I can't speak for the 95 Miata, you can see a LOT more out of the 914 then you can out of the MX-5 and its sail panel dead spots and tiny rear window.

Zach
boxstr
One of my first 914 sales on eBay was to a person in the Bay Area. He said that he was a Miata owner and liked the look of the 914 and wanted to know more about it before he bid. I told him to go out and drive one before bidding to see if it was something he would like.
I didn’t hear back, bidding finalized and he was the winning bid. I asked him if he ever went and drove one, he replied no I know I will like the 914. Okay. The car was shipped and he received it.
About one month later, he contacted me and asked if I would buy the 914 back, he didn’t like it as much as he thought he would and was going to stick with the Miata. I reminded him of my earlier suggestion to go drive one and that he hadn’t done that, I suggested he put it back on eBay and sell it himself. He did just that and is a happy Miata driver.
Craig at MX5
Cairo94507
welcome.png I always liked the Miata. I think you will really like the 914. Take your time to read everything you can about these cars and their issues. If you buy one, try to find one that has minimal rust and is a well documented, as original as possible car. Don't rush and grab the first pretty one you see. I have seen a lot of these cars "restored" by "flippers" and really all they did was mask the problem areas. Rust is the death of these cars and you want to be sure you know the condition of the chassis at the tine you but it. Read, read, read. beerchug.gif
Chi-town
Yes, you are crazy.

You're looking at stepping out of one of the most capable chassis in the automotive industry with all the creature comforts (heat/AC) and into a 40 year old antique that is lucky if it can defrost it's own windows.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 914.

I like:
The challenge of sourcing / selling parts
The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design
The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+)

And I like the 914 community, 99.9% of them are good people. beerchug.gif

If you've got money to burn and want a sports car to work on and you're already familiar with Mazda, go find an FD RX-7 laugh.gif
gereed75
Welcome. I suggest that you definitely get a drive in the 914 before making up your mind. A significant drive, include a variety of roads, not just around the block on a smooth local road.

I have never owned or driven a Miata, but I suspect that a 914 will not compare well in ride quality to the Miata - more flex, less compliance, more judder on rough roads, an awkward seating position. All things you can live with, but may not be apparent on a quick lap around the campus.

I suggest that a more comparable mid engined ride would be an mid year MR2. Also comes with Toyota reliability. Don’t get me or us wrong, back in the day my 73 2 liter 914 was dead reliable, but 50 years in who knows what might needs fixed after neglect, wear and tear, rust and DAPO abuse. There are probably lots of near perfect examples out there but the average ones are projects at some level.

Having said that, I love my 914, for its engineering efficiency and performance and just plain fun factor. Admire Miata for what they are, but don’t want one. Good luck in your
Search. Carpe Viam! (Seize the road!)
Racer
914 = slower and louder. Vague shifter. more NVH. No climate controls (no ac and heat, well, can be good, can be smelly.. can be good and smelly wink.gif ) Do you want to learn about 914 FI or Carbs.. as cars you find may have either one.

All that said, I just love 914's.. The smell, the noise, the easy fiberglass top, the handling, the lack of ABS, the lack of modern creature comforts.

I couldn't tell if you are giving up the Miata for a 914 or adding a 914 to the stable. Adding is a no brainer... Replacing? as someone above mentioned, go test drive a few.. from stock to modded.

Check the board to figure out what some of the main challenges are (besides age of the car - 45-50 years old!) to keeping them running and where the problems can be.

Be aware that a 914, even stock, has a more frequent service interval (plugs, timing, oil changes, valve adjustments etc) than you are used to . You will need to either learn them or find a shop that still knows how to do them.
thelogo
Yeh your slighty of center not crazy but

Just focus on this 1 ? Have you ever owned and operated a air cooled volkswagen of any make or model because i always recommend you start with a bug or equivalent with a stock 1600 ...

The car is kinda disposable.... If you fuck up somethings or learn to work on it or break it .your not really screwed.

So you learn and make mistakes on that pos

And when you have a feel for aircooled vw then you move up to the 914 ....

I personally cant stand any miata ...im 6ft3 and its just a car i dont fit in so a 914 is way above the miata on interior volume\ room and the one mx5 i rode in was a 2002 model. It was rattle prone got terrible milage .was a auto and not my thing .

But also 914 is not really a daily driver ( only 1 side mirror( .lol)no hvac etc .... Miata all day daily
Jamie
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 21 2019, 07:22 AM) *

914 = slower and louder. Vague shifter. more NVH. No climate controls (no ac and heat, well, can be good, can be smelly.. can be good and smelly wink.gif ) Do you want to learn about 914 FI or Carbs.. as cars you find may have either one.

All that said, I just love 914's.. The smell, the noise, the easy fiberglass top, the handling, the lack of ABS, the lack of modern creature comforts.

I couldn't tell if you are giving up the Miata for a 914 or adding a 914 to the stable. Adding is a no brainer... Replacing? as someone above mentioned, go test drive a few.. from stock to modded.

Check the board to figure out what some of the main challenges are (besides age of the car - 45-50 years old!) to keeping them running and where the problems can be.

Be aware that a 914, even stock, has a more frequent service interval (plugs, timing, oil changes, valve adjustments etc) than you are used to . You will need to either learn them or find a shop that still knows how to do them.

As a reliable daily driver you would be crazy to swap a Miata for a 914. With the value of enjoyment of ownership I would have both a 914 and Miata, totally different machines, and maintenance requirements. I am familiar with the Miata since my nephew races a Spec Miata, and he and his buds has spent many days and nights in my garage before recently purchasing his own home.
billh1963
I have three Miatas and even more 914’s. One is not a direct replacement for the other.

I would literally get into any of my Miatas and drive cross country. I MIGHT have one 914 that could make it? Even then, I would be worried.

Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 21 2019, 07:54 AM) *

I have three Miatas and even more 914’s. One is not a direct replacement for the other.

I would literally get into any of my Miatas and drive cross country. I MIGHT have one 914 that could make it? Even then, I would be worried.

Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

"Keep the Miata and buy a 914. Then you can have the best of both worlds."
agree.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 01:17 AM) *

...so I know my way around Miatas.

I'm exaggerating, but "knowing your way around Miatas" means remembering how to open the fuel door and when to take it to Jiffy Lube.

A Miata is quicker, handles better, shifts smoother, is quieter, gets better mileage. It's more comfortable, more dependable, and safer than a 914. You can put the top up or down at a stop light, parts are relatively inexpensive, every town has a Mazda dealer AND multiple inde shops if needed.

Only you can decide if your love for the 914 is worth forgoing the above.

ClayPerrine
My wife and I have been around 914s for a LONG time (34 years). When she bought her's, it was 11 years old. Once we worked out the small issues with it, it was very reliable and fairly low maintenance. However, time has taken it's toll. Her car is still very reliable, and is still a daily driver. I would not hesitate to get in it and drive it cross country to another event. But that is at the expense of more frequent maintenance and minor repairs. And it has never a decent defroster......

The reason it is so reliable is it has been maintained by us since 1985. I know every nut, bolt, screw, piston, gear and bearing on that car personally. I know all the history, and there is no DAPO to blame anymore.

Taking on an unknown old car that is almost 50 years old is not a venture for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of persistence, and patience.

Mind you, I am not trying to discourage you, just to make you aware of the reality of the situation. The 914 of 35 years ago is the same as a currently running Miata. Great fun car, and fairly reliable. In 35 years, the Miata will be just like a 914, needing lots of maintenance to keep it on the road.

If you decide to get one, you will have loads of support from everyone here. You will be part of a dynamic group that really loves these cars and will do anything they can to help you.

But always keep in mind the age of the 914. At 50, they are still going strong.. with lots of love from the owners.

rjames
My step dad bought a used first gen Miata and drove it for 10 years with absolutely zero issues before selling it because he decided he needed a back seat. During that time my 914 was on jack stands more times than I care to remember. Also, as much as I love my 914, I wouldn’t want it as a daily driver.

If you like having a reliable car with modern comforts forget the 914.
If it’s going to be a second car for you and you think you’ll enjoy working on it (or have deep pockets to pay someone else to do it), go for it. IMHO the 914 has way more character than any Miata.

As others have said though, go drive one.

abes914
If you have other car for everyday use and would love a challenge-sure. Please note that Porsche parts are more expensive than Mazda. If you get a 914 with Subaru engine, then I say go for it.

One reason I got a 914 and not a Miata was that I don’t have to smog my 914. I had to pay smog with my b16 crx every other year and my crx cannot be daily driven because thieves were trying to steal it. It got stolen two weeks after I sold it.
sixnotfour
Boxster
billh1963
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Boxster

Until your engine blows like mine did on the way to Okteenerfest this year
SirAndy
QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 01:17 AM) *
CA Bay Area

bye1.gif

Mayne
OP states his Miata is a fun weekend car, so it doesn't seem DD reliability is needed.

OP, the only reason you mention for actually liking 914s is the popup headlights, so you probably want to drive a few to see if there are other elements you like.

Also, since we're talking options, I could suggest a 944, especially an S2 convertible if you like dropping the top. They feel more vintage than a Miata, but a nice one is comfortable, fairly reliable, and fun. And to me, a more "grownup" looking car than a Miata.

Boxster was mentioned. Hard choice so I have a Boxster, 944, and 914. That way at least one is is running at any given time...usually!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 21 2019, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Boxster

Until your engine blows like mine did on the way to Okteenerfest this year

Put a suby six into the boxster. No more IMS issues. And it makes more power.

BENBRO02
I've got both a 914 and an MX-5. I have driven the 914 about 8,000 miles in the past year and prefer driving it over the Miata on days when the weather permits. I doubt it would be practical to daily the 914 unless your name is Betty driving-girl.gif , and Clay turns wrenches for you.
914forme
I have a 94 M edition and 914s. they are both capable, when I auto-xed a lot with NASA I would run against other Miata owners in my 914, only thing that caught me was a supercharged or turbo unit. 914s can be great cars. But they are 50 years old, they lack refinement of nice haves, like A/C.

The 914 does have more interior room and head room. I had a 1990 Miata that I fit in better. the 94 M I sit tall and hit my head on the bows or the hard top.
Rand
If nobody has said it clearly: The Miata is a superior car!!

But driven mostly by girls and grandmas with after life crisis effect. I'll take a rude 914 every time.

fuzzybeanbag
First - thank you all for your candid feedback! As someone mentioned in earlier replies - y'all are a good bunch.

To clarify a few things:

- My Miata is definitely not a daily driver. I put around 3500 miles a year on it, less if the weather is permitting.

- I am actually not a huge fan of drop-top. Mine has a hard top and I rarely (if ever) take it off. Yes - I know, what's the purpose of having a convertible if you aren't using it as a convertible. It is simply a personal preference.

- Someone commented on the fact that I liked the 914 only because of the headlights - it was a cheeky comment on my end. I think the car looks timeless; both vintage yet modern; really appeals to me.

I also understand that it'd need more maintenance than a Miata; but the part cost is something I didn't realize. I will need to check things out to get a general idea. Nevertheless - I think I have a better (initial) understanding of what having a 914 would entail. I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.
Rand
QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 04:28 PM) *

I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.

This is the only thing you got 100% wrong. The 914 will appreciate and be perpetually cool forever. The Miata won't.
rjames
QUOTE(fuzzybeanbag @ Nov 21 2019, 04:28 PM) *
I think the comment that stood out the most was that a 45 year old Miata in 20 years will be just like a 45 year old 914 today.

Except maybe not worth as much, depending on condition.
rhodyguy
Spend more than you want to and buy the best car that you can find. Other than a money pit 'project', plan on a prepurchse inspection(s). Don't be swayed by a 'pretty face' and jump in with both guns blazing. You can get to WTF.gif headbang.gif quickly with the wrong 914.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Nov 21 2019, 10:18 AM) *

Yes, you are crazy.

You're looking at stepping out of one of the most capable chassis in the automotive industry with all the creature comforts (heat/AC) and into a 40 year old antique that is lucky if it can defrost it's own windows.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 914.

I like:
The challenge of sourcing / selling parts
The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design
The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+)

And I like the 914 community, 99.9% of them are good people. beerchug.gif

If you've got money to burn and want a sports car to work on and you're already familiar with Mazda, go find an FD RX-7 laugh.gif

lol-2.gif

@Chi-town

Now I understand why we are often of the opposite opinion. grouphug.gif

The challenge of sourcing / selling parts -- A necessary evil. I much prefer getting on-line and just ordering what I need as brand new parts without any question of where they have been or how they were previously abused. happy11.gif

The challenge of improving outdated mechanical design -- I love that it is dated and pretty much accept it's limitations. I could buy a new car with 500 HP or an EV for brutal straght line acceleration but where's the fun in that. Just another modern pod / cage. If I want to go faster I'll just ride one of the motorcycles. laugh.gif

The challenge of putting an engine in it that is reliable, makes decent power and doesn't sound like a VW bus. (And doesn't cost $10k+) -- I love the noises air cooled motors make, but, I do lust after the scream of a 911 engine and that fan noise that will cost $10K plus, isn't modern, and has it's limitations that I'll accept. biggrin.gif

I really do appreciate that you've rescued a teener from EV land though! And the RX-7 comment - truer words have never been spoken.
beerchug.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 21 2019, 10:51 AM) *

Boxster

I'd agree. I loved my 914 for over ten years. It was completely stock.

I still love the crew here and the people.

But.......for what I sold my stock teener for you can get a cheap 986 or 987.

AND for the price of a roaring six in the teener have a stock M96 or M97 engine for the same price.

So to each is own but Miata's are great little cars but have ac and a defroster.

My wife's daily is a CX-5....Mazada make a great engine and car for the money.

If it's a long term resto project or a stock teener with a great tub....then maybe and be prepared to do your own work or know how when something breaks.

Good luck in your decision.
bkrantz
The 914 and Miata are on opposite sides of an auto technology divide. The 914 is from the era when cars required frequent expert service, and at best would run poorly if ignored. The Miata is from the newer era where cars could run well without much complex servicing, just oil and filter changes.

So enjoying a 914 means enjoying keeping up with mechanical needs and sometimes driving a thrilling if spartan true sports car (and more true for those who think true sports cars have to hurt a bit). Enjoying a Miata is about driving a true sports car that makes fewer demands on the owner, with optional tinkering.
Amphicar770
Definitely drive one first. I owned a Miata a few years ago. Both great cars but very different. Miata is more refined, quieter, almost zero maintenance. 914 creates more of a man to machine connection, gets a lot more attention and compliments. I prefer my 914 but can understand how others might prefer the Miata.
RARE 6
Or you could just put pop-up headlights on your Miata. Probably cheaper in the long run.
BuddyV
Hmm..... let me see if I can keep you from a big cry.....

the Porsche thing is a big step up from Miata. History, feel,yada yada.

But the 914 is not what I would call.... uh..... comfortable. The Miata I would definitely call comfortable. You can drive it every day if you wanted. THAT to me is the biggest drawback to the 914.

So.....

I also have a 924S with a 968 motor.

OMG.

Lately I am driving it almost every other day. i get AC, small scale, customizability w00t.gif , Porsche charm, not-every-other-car-on-the-street, and with the upgraded motor.... power to spare.

.... and pop up headlights confused24.gif

Maybe my conversion is not ideal..... but if i were coming from the Miata world, I might turn my head toward the 944 Turbo platform. It makes more sense.

Ten years ago this would have been a different conversation..... prices for GOOD, reliable 6 cylinder conversions were reasonable. for a weekend car, that was the ticket.

i just don't think a 4 cylinder is going to do it for you.

Contact me if you want to drive the 924.

beerchug.gif

914forme
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Nov 22 2019, 07:30 PM) *

Or you could just put pop-up headlights on your Miata. Probably cheaper in the long run.

av-943.gif

Early chassis which his 95 is has pop up head lights.

The M-Editions will be most likely the most collectible of the early Miatas. Mine they made a bit over 2000, that is 914-6 territory. But factory rare color cars will most likely be the top dogs. But they lack a bit of soul. Fun, but soulless.

I am selling my Miata M edition, I am keeping my 914-6. Other cars will come and go, the 914-6 will stay.
Kraftwerk
I went from a '71 914 to an '99 MX-5 and I would say both are super- fun but not equally reliable... Well, once got the 914 sorted.. it was okay.. but weird things occasionally broke, since it was so old. To be fair, weird things went on the MX-5 too.. But TWO place's the 914 was better : 1. SPACE the 914 actually has more cargo space, if that is important too you. The' warming' trunk in back is already bigger than the Miata trunk and it will keep a large Pizza warm on the way home...and then there is a front trunk, for the cool stuff...Also, handling... just pure fun driving, it's lighter and MID-engined ...although the MX-5 is very close in that 'fun factor' regard, it also does the important stuff better like: brake, accelerate / GO , and heat the compartment or keep it cool ( if/when the AC works) My Miata A.C. needs repair, actually.
Andyrew
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Nov 24 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Hmm..... let me see if I can keep you from a big cry.....

the Porsche thing is a big step up from Miata. History, feel,yada yada.

But the 914 is not what I would call.... uh..... comfortable. The Miata I would definitely call comfortable. You can drive it every day if you wanted. THAT to me is the biggest drawback to the 914.

So.....

I also have a 924S with a 968 motor.

OMG.

Lately I am driving it almost every other day. i get AC, small scale, customizability w00t.gif , Porsche charm, not-every-other-car-on-the-street, and with the upgraded motor.... power to spare.

.... and pop up headlights confused24.gif

Maybe my conversion is not ideal..... but if i were coming from the Miata world, I might turn my head toward the 944 Turbo platform. It makes more sense.

Ten years ago this would have been a different conversation..... prices for GOOD, reliable 6 cylinder conversions were reasonable. for a weekend car, that was the ticket.

i just don't think a 4 cylinder is going to do it for you.

Contact me if you want to drive the 924.

beerchug.gif

Hell of a lot more car in a 944 turbo than the 914 as well for the money. They are now in the same price range again.

The 944 turbo is an incredible car.

Great daily
Great track car
Great nostalgia feel
Great AC and heat
Great power and some serious handling
And you want to talk about practicality? That trunk can fit a sheet of plywood... Or 2k lbs of bricks.... Ask me how I know ..

Kraftwerk
a Hmm, sheet of ply-wood? You have my attention. We need pictures..
Andyrew
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Nov 24 2019, 09:56 PM) *

If I remember correctly we used 2x4s on the bottom, put the plywood on too and strapped it to the roll bar. But it's been 20 years, it could have been a cut sheet.
Mayne
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 25 2019, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Nov 24 2019, 09:56 PM) *

If I remember correctly we used 2x4s on the bottom, put the plywood on too and strapped it to the roll bar. But it's been 20 years, it could have been a cut sheet.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time imagining a full sheet of plywood in my 951. But an orchestra teacher friend of mine swears she can fit a full sized double bass in the back of her 968 with the passenger seat leaned forward. No comment from her passenger.
horizontally-opposed
Nope, not crazy at all. You'd be moving from one ground-breaking sports car to another, and both are great cars.

With that said, one looked back while the other looked forward—and only one of these raced at Le Mans...and won its class first time out. Only one was equipped with a famous six-cylinder engine from the factory (and you can always convert a four in time).

I can see A/C keeping some folks in the Miata. There are other great things about the Miata...but I've spent time in every Miata except the latest one, and I'd take the 914 for a "fun car" every time.

YMMV!
bigkensteele
Very different cars. I drive a 2009 Miata daily. I love the heated seats, the AC, the modern sound system that I can actually hear and most importantly, the lack of constant maintenance. Plus it is a fun car to drive while the 914 is on jackstands, which is most of the time.

I love the 914 because it provides endless fun projects and when it is running/driving, it is a blast, but not nearly as civilized as the Miata.

My plan is to always own the 914 and upgrade to newer Miatas as needed.
Charles Freeborn
As said, different animal entirely. Any vintage air-cooled is much more of a relationship than ownership, and the maintenance will eat you alive if you have to pay to have it done. Good news is that in CA anything 74 or older is smog exempt so you can change the intake and exhaust systems to your hearts content.... but once you start down that slope it gets slippery in a hurry...
914s are fun cars. So are Miatas..... first world problems...
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Nov 26 2019, 08:59 AM) *

As said, different animal entirely. Any vintage air-cooled is much more of a relationship than ownership, and the maintenance will eat you alive if you have to pay to have it done. Good news is that in CA anything 74 or older is smog exempt so you can change the intake and exhaust systems to your hearts content.... but once you start down that slope it gets slippery in a hurry...
914s are fun cars. So are Miatas..... first world problems...

Correction...75 or older beerchug.gif

WELCOME!!!!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Nov 26 2019, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Nov 26 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Good news is that in CA anything 74 or older is smog exempt so you can change the intake and exhaust systems to your hearts content

Correction...75 or older beerchug.gif

WELCOME!!!!

You should live here in Texas. There are only 17 counties that have emissions testing, and in those 17, if the car is 25 years old or older, it is exempt. As of this year, I own nothing that requires an emissions test in Texas. mueba.gif biggrin.gif

Houston-Galveston-Brazoria Program Area: Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, and Montgomery Counties
Dallas-Fort Worth Program Area: Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, and Tarrant Counties
Austin Area: Travis and Williamson Counties
El Paso Area: El Paso County
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.