Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about a 123 Ignition Dizzy Distributor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
Here’s the Dilemma, I just bought a 914 with a Raby 2270 engine build. It came with a Mallory Unilite Ignition System which allegedly kept blowing the Ignition modules at about $100.00 a pop. The Mallory was removed and replaced with a Stock 009 distributor with points. Now it idles better but cold starting and definitely a loss of power through its power curve (estimated about 15%) on the 170 hp engine. It has been recommended to upgrade to a 123 Ignition dizzy distributor by a knowledgeable Type 4 mechanic that drove the car. From his recommendation I have a message into R.A.T. Raby’s Aircooled Technologies to see what they recommend. These distributors run about $450-up. What would you recommend from your experience? I’m getting the cart before the horse here but thought it would be nice to know the recommended options i have down the road for I don’t have to do it twice! Thanks
yeahmag
The Mallory should be fairly reliable for you. Especially if you add the protection circuit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29371/

You can also use the cheaper replacement modules:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-6100m

I personally think that's your best bet for the price. I run them myself.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for the reply!
rhodyguy
The circuit guard looks like a good investment.
9144me2enjoy
Pics
mobymutt
I'm surprised all the 123 people haven't chimed in on this! Seems like everyone that installed one has been very happy. (Mine is still sitting on my desk, so I have nothing to add of any value...)
rjames
You already have the Mallory, and if the $60 circuit guard might solve the issue, seems like that’s worth trying.
Not sure what you meant by “Is it possible to just rebuild one of the existing distributors to 123 specs”, what specs specifically are you after?

i have a 123 distributor on a stock 2.0 4/cyl. Other than a slightly higher idle (1000rpm vs 900rpm I had with stock dist) I am very happy with it so far.
9144me2enjoy
I agree, I’m planning on just reinstalling the Mallory with a Circuit guard. As far as rebuilding a Mallory to 123 specs that was an error on interpretation I made from reading an article on the 123 Ignition. Thanks
Porschef
Very happy with the 123, car runs much better, and cold start has vastly improved. Yes, they’re pricey, but in my case it was worth it.
DRPHIL914
I don't see why it would not work for you, I assume your 2270 is carbs? you can do the blue tooth programmable one which would be awesome. but the 123 is all integraded electronic. for us d-jet guys its got choice of presets to try, with and without vac advance. and I had been running a Hot Spark module with new OS trigger points plate, and the car ran good, same module for 8 years, but I think the distributor was getting worn and I can say my car is like night a day on how well my car runs now, no hesitations on acceleration, perfect idle at 900, no cold start or hot start issues, really running awesome. for the dependability of this system , not running an old worn distributor, if you are having issues, why would you not save up and spring for one of these?? I think we paid close to $300 on the group buy, but still, everyone here spends$$ on different stuff for their car, if you bought a car that has a Raby 2270 or you bought the motor directly either way you spent some serious coin , probably way more than I could afford but yet you are worried about spending $450 rolleyes.gif . I mean if the Mallory will work fine with a $50 circuit protector than just do that I am all for it , and I would do that first if it were me,, but in the scheme of things I thinks its not much to spend to have a dependable running car.

BTW would love to see some pics of the car and motor - love those Raby motors! drooley.gif
VaccaRabite
IMO the 123 is a better unit then the Mallory.
The biggest advantage is that the 123 is a current system, and the Mallory is no longer made and can be very hard to get parts for.

Sounds like the protection circuit is a good idea either way for your car.

Zach
9144me2enjoy
Bottom line, I believe if your going to make the investment, do it once and be done with it! The Mallory is old school whereas the 123 is new technology. I can sell the Mallory and the 901 distributors and recapture some of my investment in the 123 Ignition. I will run a WTB ad on here to see if any of the forum members have one they want to part with. Some things you shouldn’t cut corners on. Thanks, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.