Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition or Fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsyr
73 2.0 d-jet stock.

From idle to 1500 it runs smooth.
1500 to around 1900, lots of hesitation.
After 1900 it runs great.

I've held the throttle around the 1700 range and played with the idle screw and the enrichment adjuster on the ecu with no change to the way it's running. This leads me to believe it is the ignition. Everything is new; wires, plugs, points etc. So now I am clueless. Anyways, anybody got any pointers?
mihai914
Did you clean the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), the tracks get dirty and worn sometimes. A simple way of checking it is to unplug the connector to the TPS and see if the symptoms dissapear, the car will be slower to react to throttle response though. If you clean it, it will have to be recalibrated after.
mattillac
have you set dwell and timing? checked the fuel filter? adjusted the valves? as always check all of the basic stuff first. how old are your vacuum lines? etc. etc. etc.

ph34r.gif
redshift
That sounds like TPS worn/dirty. It sounds like other stuff too, but that sounds easy.

The other things range from bad grounds anywhere on the car, to a bad paint job.

M
nsyr
dwell, timing, valves are good. new hoses. all the basic stuff has been done. i'll try the tps and see if that helps.
ArtechnikA
mixture knob affects mixture ONLY at idle.

TPS only functions as your accelerator pump (as well as having the idle stop and WOT contacts). IOW - off-idle, it *should* only affect accelleration. but as a test - unplug it, and see if things are better. in a road test, it won't sccelerate worth poop, but it should be smooth. if unplugging doesn't make your steady-throttle problem better, the solution lies elsewhere...
goose2
My first guess woud be the paint job. laugh.gif ..if repainting it doesn't help, try the TPS, then trigger points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.