Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Conversion - Water temp sending unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
Which sending unit will give the most accurate reading when used with the stock oil temp gauge to use the gauge as a water temp gauge in a V8 conversion? It will need to be NP threads (hopefully 1/8"). It would be great if 190-200 F would be around mid scale on the gauge.
drifter914
If you have FI you may need a 3-pole sending unit ( one for the ECU).
ClayPerrine
I would suggest you make an adapter fitting to put the oil temp sender into the manifold fitting next to the thermostat on the small block. Or drill and tap if you have a blank boss on the manifold.

Liquid is Liquid, and using the stock 914 sender insures you have the correct sender for the gauge.

DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(drifter914 @ Nov 23 2019, 10:48 AM) *

If you have FI you may need a 3-pole sending unit ( one for the ECU).

No FI. Ol' skool carbed SBC.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 23 2019, 12:32 PM) *

I would suggest you make an adapter fitting to put the oil temp sender into the manifold fitting next to the thermostat on the small block. Or drill and tap if you have a blank boss on the manifold.

Liquid is Liquid, and using the stock 914 sender insures you have the correct sender for the gauge.

I have read/heard that oil in an air cooled Porsche/VW is substantially hotter than the water in a typical water cooled engie. If that is the case, the gauge which is centered at normal oil temp in an air cooled engine would not be centered at normal water temp in a water cooled engine. (BTW, my stock gauge is not marked with degrees)

True?
Chris914n6
You're right. The oil temp gauge is going to read low. Middle on most water gauges is 212F and is 'numb' so as to not freak out drivers when it gets a little warm or cool.

There is a chance a different sender is in a better range.

Probably easiest is using an early 944 gauge and sender which is standard 1/8npt. Also comes in white.

IPB Image
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 23 2019, 06:35 PM) *

Probably easiest is using an early 944 gauge and sender which is standard 1/8npt. Also comes in white.

Thanks, Chris.

That would work if the gauge pod is the same size as the 914, and if the 914 fuel level sender would drive the 944 gauge properly. Any idea on those two qualifiers? It looks close enough to a 914 cluster to be stock.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914forme
the 924 - early 944 can be modified to be a quad gauge. It is the same size.

But if you wanted to the oil temp can be switched to a water temp gauge with a bit of modifying , and use the proper sender from the kit.

Just pops out and you can add in the new one.You have to change out the insert pin, but not hard at all. I add a short piece of heat shrink around the post to avoid grounding issues. Over kill, yes, but I do it just the same. I'm a bit old school stuff like that.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 24 2019, 08:04 AM) *

the 924 - early 944 can be modified to be a quad gauge. It is the same size.

But if you wanted to the oil temp can be switched to a water temp gauge with a bit of modifying , and use the proper sender from the kit.

Just pops out and you can add in the new one.You have to change out the insert pin, but not hard at all. I add a short piece of heat shrink around the post to avoid grounding issues. Over kill, yes, but I do it just the same. I'm a bit old school stuff like that.

Thanks.

Do you mean replace only the 914 oil temp gauge with the 944 water temp gauge and not the whole combo gauge? I'm not sure what the "kit" is, but it looks like OE 944 senders are available new.

914forme
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Nov 24 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Thanks.

Do you mean replace only the 914 oil temp gauge with the 944 water temp gauge and not the whole combo gauge? I'm not sure what the "kit" is, but it looks like OE 944 senders are available new.

That would work, good thought, LOL that could be 4 screws, the gauge face might be a bit short of the 914 window, never thought about trying that one.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 24 2019, 10:22 AM) *

That would work, good thought, LOL that could be 4 screws, the gauge face might be a bit short of the 914 window, never thought about trying that one.

Well, I thought it was YOUR thought.

Can you explain your idea further? I obviously missed it. sad.gif
Chris914n6
Measured Ohms for the gauges. My 944 gauge is the 2nd style with the circuit board back and round connector, but that shouldn't matter. I believe the 924 gauge has the separate modules like the 914 if you wanted to swap just that part.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.