Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low ri-der rides a little lower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grantsfo
Stanford was having a parking lot special on lowering, alignments and corner balancing today. Thanks to Nathan my car is riding a lot lower and sporting more negative camber and its nicely corner balanced. Nathan's going so fast he has to help some of us keep up with his blazing times.

Thanks again for all your help Nathan! I owe you more than a few beers for all your help today. The car already feels better and I cant wait until the next AX!

You have heard of Smart Strings? ....well these are Cheap Strings biggrin.gif :
xsboost90
lower the better, thats what i always say.
SGB
Just read an article (in panorama) which essentially concluded that as long as the braking capaciity exists to break the tires grip, the ONLY way to improvevehicle braking performance is to LOWER the CG.
grantsfo
Anyone who has seen my car knows this is a big improvement. I agree with better braking and lower CG. The car feels much better at this hieght.
xsboost90
the only bad thing i see about lowering these cars is that once the front arms are level or the balljoint is higher than the suspension center, the camber goes from negative to positive. when going into a corner stock, the suspension geometry makes negative camber as the corner increases. When its too low, you start making positive, of course if its negative enough, it just makes it less negative closer to 0camber. Sometimes bigger brakes ARE the key.
Joe Ricard
So Grant did you put the big fatty tiars on yet? The car is nice and low. Looks great! those are some sexy looking Fuchs. I would think you are going to love it on te AX course.

Now you will have to calibrate your eye ball to know what bumps in the road are too high. Speed bumps are now your nemisis.
13 years of drivig a 928 that was 4" off the ground and now the red neck racer that is 3 7/8 I can get around pretty good. You get used to attacking ALL driveways at and angle.
xsboost90
yeah nothing worse than sewer lids sticking up in the middle of the street!
ClayPerrine
When we had our house built, we specifically told the builder that the approach from the street had to be nice and gentle. He kinda blew us off until he saw us pull up in Betty's 914. Then he assured us that they would make it a gentle approach.

Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get in the driveway.
Joe Ricard
Yea passed on a house because of the drive way. Even angled the car bumped the nose 1st. Got the one now that is level to the street and has 2 car garage and work shop. mueba.gif
Joe Bob
I always cut driveways at an angle....I caught myself doing it in the wife's 3/4 ton Yukon truck....habits....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.