Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BF Goodrich 15-inch tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
Curious if anyone has tried any of these in 196/60R15, 195/65R15, or 205/60R15?

Advantage T/A Sport (up to 130 mph)

Old-school Radial T/A (up to 112 mph)
horizontally-opposed
Simple sidewalls, "period" or not-too-modern tread patterns, and some interesting sizes available, such as 195/60R15, as well—though 205/60R15 was the largest tire I ever successfully snuck under my 914's narrow fenders…

I just wonder how they work on a 914...
Krieger
Are they white walls on the other side? poke.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 24 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Are they white walls on the other side? poke.gif

Only on the ones I sent to your house. beer.gif
Racer
Radial TA is horrible. No grip. So, if you like sliding the car around at low speeds, perhaps its a good choice. imho, not worth it.
maf914
I recently bought a set of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT for our Honda CRV and am satisfied so far at about 5,000 miles. Note that these are T/A Sport LT (crossover/SUV) which differ from your tire. They ride and handle better than the original, that I thought were poor, Hankook Kinergy tires which lasted only 35,000 miles, which is pretty lame for a contemporary tire.

I bought these based on The Tire Rack reviews and rating charts. These are the first BF Goodrich tires I have had, so I will see how they go. My most recent previous purchases have been Bridgestone, which I have been happy with.
ClayPerrine
Years ago, we ran the BfGoodrich Comp T/As on Betty's car. They were great tires, sticky in the dry and great in the rain. We have not run any Goodrich tires since. I was thinking of trying them on Elwood when we get the Mahle's back from the paint shop.

But if they don't stick well, then I don't want them.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2019, 09:42 AM) *

Years ago, we ran the BfGoodrich Comp T/As on Betty's car. They were great tires, sticky in the dry and great in the rain. We have not run any Goodrich tires since. I was thinking of trying them on Elwood when we get the Mahle's back from the paint shop.

agree.gif ran these back in the day on some street machines I used to play with pre 914. Whats changed? Compounds?
Racer
COMP T/A's are not what the OP posted. COMP T/A's were great back in their day.

imho, Radial T/A's would be expected to be seen in the 1980's on a kids "restored" 1960s Camaro or Mustang. Sitting on a set of Cragar chromed 5-spoke rims wink.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 25 2019, 07:42 AM) *

This is why I am trying to find people are speaking from direct experience with the Radial T/A on a 914 or other interesting sports car.

Here's why: BFG is owned by Michelin, which is no stranger to performance and arguably knows more about performance tire compounding than any other tire manufacturer. From Le Mans to OE fitments...and the sublime Pilot Sport A/S3, it knows its stuff. I also get the sense (but do not know) that some BFG tires may not only be directly developed by Michelin but may be "generic" versions of Michelins, or something akin to them. That makes the Advantage T/A Sport somewhat interesting, besides the fact that its sidewall is 1970s-appropriate and its tread pattern wouldn't look alien on a 914...and it's affordable from a good brand. Possibly made here in America, to boot.

As for the Radial T/A? It's available in good sizes for a narrow bodied 914—like 195/60R15, 195/65R15, and 205/60R15—and those 205s can be matched to 225s for the back of a flared car. Its period correct looks are hard to beat, and besides a size advantage over 165s or 185s, there's a fair chance its compounding has been modernized. I remember they were dirt cheap for years and years, and now they're not. Possible that BFG recognized it could charge more due to vintage car prices, but also possible it upgraded the Radial T/A much as Pirelli did with the CN36. Vintage looks, modern compounds.

And, at these prices, either or both are a nice alternative to XWX and CN36s and CR6ZZ for those who want reasonably "period correct" looks with good performance. It seems like many would be perfectly happy with something that's simply better than what the car came on. If it's miles better, which is what I am looking for? All the better still. Hence my search for feedback on these tires from those who have tried them. I'm a ways away from timing out my latest set of tires, but good choices in 15s have been tough to find for years now—unless you want strict vintage 165/185s or low-profile 50-series rubber. If I was up for a set of tires, I might try one of these. I've paid more for tires that didn't do it for me, whether Vredesteins or Dunlop all-seasons.

On the face of it, I wrote these BFGs off as "they can't be good" when I am now wondering if a great choice isn't sitting right under our noses.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 25 2019, 08:11 AM) *

COMP T/A's are not what the OP posted. COMP T/A's were great back in their day.

imho, Radial T/A's would be expected to be seen in the 1980's on a kids "restored" 1960s Camaro or Mustang. Sitting on a set of Cragar chromed 5-spoke rims wink.gif

Loved the Comp T/A 3 that I used to run on my 914...too bad that's no more. Probably one of the best tires I ever used on the car.

As for the Radial T/A...that's my perception too. I am now wondering if the modern reality is different, and possibly even appealing. Maybe flip the white letters inward and call it a day?
Racer
About 5 years ago, my dad put a set of Radial TA's on his /6 because his 6 runs 14" wheels and those are even harder to find that 15" tires.

I drove the car after he put them on. I drove them again 3 years later when I got the car. They still drove like crap. I doubt they've reformulated the compound. Don't waste your money.

I would rather have a period correct tire (ie, Pirelli CN 36, Vredestein Sprints, Michelin X or XWX) than waste it on those Radial T/As

I can't speak to the other tire mentioned in the OP.. the "Advantage T/A" ? They could be better, but that doesn't make them great, or even good.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Racer @ Nov 25 2019, 10:03 AM) *

About 5 years ago, my dad put a set of Radial TA's on his /6 because his 6 runs 14" wheels and those are even harder to find that 15" tires.

I drove the car after he put them on. I drove them again 3 years later when I got the car. They still drove like crap. I doubt they've reformulated the compound. Don't waste your money.

I would rather have a period correct tire (ie, Pirelli CN 36, Vredestein Sprints, Michelin X or XWX) than waste it on those Radial T/As

I can't speak to the other tire mentioned in the OP.. the "Advantage T/A" ? They could be better, but that doesn't make them great, or even good.

Don't get me wrong: I care about performance. I've seen 174 mph on the way into T1 at Road America, among other adventures—and like the Avon CR6ZZs I'm running on my 914 right now (though I probably should have gotten the softest compound rather than the hardest), but...I just don't drive my 914 on the street the way I do on a track, and I don't love the cost of the Avons—nor do I think they represent good value for most 914 drivers.

Vreds didn't impress me (I liked the steering feel and ride but gave them away after 500-1000 miles), and all accounts suggest Coker XWXs (which look great) are awful. XZXs can only be worse. Which leaves Avons or CN36s at 2x or 3x the price of the BFGs...so about $1000-1200~. That's a lot of coin for an occasional use car. Or any car.

The alternative seems to be an endless array of all-season Camry tires or summer performance tires in 50- and 55-series. I've run both of the latter, too, and hated the all-seasons (it was some years ago) and like the performance of 205/55s but don't love the look.

That kinda leaves 60-series tires like the P6000 N3s (also expensive) or one of these BFGs. Three years ago is about when the price for the Radial T/A seemed to shoot up. Main point of this thread is to compare notes. We seem to have at least two people with Radial T/As on their flared 914s, maybe there are others? Your observations on the 14-inch T/As seem to fit with what I've suspected about these tires, but I'd like to hear from others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.