Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel size that will fit under GT flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
With Steel GT Flares (Auto Atlanta) installed on a 914 what are you limited to on wheel & tire sizes? Example 15x7s & 15x8s or 6x16s & 7x16s with standard 5 bolt conversion on a 1974 914. Thank you
914forme
Depends on the car

Fuchs - Factory

Mym471 option used 15x7s all around and added a spacer in the back. Or was it 6s

GT used 15x7 front and 15x8 or 15x9 in the back, 15x9 is a rare ish wheel all the ones I found where off RSRs or 911 STs. Sizes where all over the place.

Period pictures will also show GT with Minilites on the rear in a 15x10 under factory rears.

Modern 16 or 17s will be a bit wider, and spacers might be involved.

Only real way to know is Mock up and measure, then order. If you use a CNC flat disc. Easy way is a piece of plywood, cut out to 17" or what ever your wheel diameter is. I would use a router for this with fixture that goes off the center. But can be done with a screw in the middle and a piece of string. One you have that, measure out 130mmm and that is your hub wheel stud center. Reality since it is radius cut all measurements in half so 65mm if doing radius. 8" if replicating a 16" wheel, 8.5" for 17, You can figure it all out with a square. That will get you your offset, and you max width, then search for a wheel to fit, and make it a smaller than you max. Tires come into play and require a bit of space themselves.

They do make a device to do this never used it, sorry no help on that one.

This has come up a lot in the past and a google search not even formatted correctly produced great results and lots of good reading here is what I typed in

914World GT flare Wheel width

HTH
Racer
Comes down to suspension - ride height, spring rates, shock stiffness, camber, alignment, tire size etc.

Most folks will fit a 7" front, 8" rear.

8" front and 9" rear will also fit,

I've seen wider in the back, but really?

Comes down a bit to application - racing? if so, is there a class limit? If street tire, sometimes the brand/size you want to run just doesn't exist.

225 front 245-275 rear is common. 15", 16" or 17" Some even stuff 18" wheels in there.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for the information. Happy Thanksgiving!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.