Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Living under the boot of the empire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
I think I can get behind this, if we all get a new Porsche.
iankarr
Wow. Do ya think the symbolism could be any worse?
bretth
What the hell? Electric cars or else.
GregAmy
"It's a can't miss reveal!"

Wait...wut?
VaccaRabite
"Porsche. We are the villains"
"Porsche. 80 years and still fascists"
"Porsche. Lets blow up a planet together"

WTF are they thinking?

Zach
mepstein
Like it or hate it, I bet piggybacking it on Star Wars gets it a ton of exposure.

Villians are always more fun than the good guys.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2019, 08:08 AM) *

Like it or hate it, I bet piggybacking it on Star Wars gets it a ton of exposure.

That and I doubt anyone in the market for a Taycan knows much about WWII.
Superhawk996
bootyshake.gif

Long ago I used to be a fan of all things Porsche. Then in 1996 they decided to start making SUVs. That was the beginning of the end in my book. It has only gotten worse with more SUV, and the horror of sedans since 1996. This Taycan is just another reason I won’t be buying any Porsche newer than 1996.

I wish them luck but I have no interest in Porsche as the brand currently exists.

914sgofast2
Where’s Adolf?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 08:20 AM) *

bootyshake.gif

Long ago I used to be a fan of all things Porsche. Then in 1996 they decided to start making SUVs. That was the beginning of the end in my book. It has only gotten worse with more SUV, and the horror of sedans since 1996. This Taycan is just another reason I won’t be buying any Porsche newer than 1996.

I wish them luck but I have no interest in Porsche as the brand currently exists.

Some say the last true Porsche, it's the newest one in my collection.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 25 2019, 08:40 AM) *

Where’s Adolf?

Next to Porsche...
Mikey914
WOW something lost in translation on that one. Must be a younger group of marketing execs. popcorn[1].gif
Mayne
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 25 2019, 11:41 AM) *

bootyshake.gif

Yes and if they hadn't moved to water-cooling, a budget Boxster, and SUVs, it probably would have been the last Porsche, period. But think how much your beautiful 993 would be worth!

I love my ICE cars, especially my dual Weber'd 914, but I'm kind excited about the coming age of EVs, mainly because companies like Tesla and Porsche are making them exciting. That said, the above photo is a bit perplexing. dry.gif I'd rather see it with Han Solo photoshopped in (or maybe one of those sunshades with Chewie and Han).
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mayne @ Nov 25 2019, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 25 2019, 11:41 AM) *

bootyshake.gif

Yes and if they hadn't moved to water-cooling, a budget Boxster, and SUVs, it probably would have been the last Porsche, period. But think how much your beautiful 993 would be worth!

I love my ICE cars, especially my dual Weber'd 914, but I'm kind excited about the coming age of EVs, mainly because companies like Tesla and Porsche are making them exciting. That said, the above photo is a bit perplexing. dry.gif I'd rather see it with Han Solo photoshopped in (or maybe one of those sunshades with Chewie and Han).

I’m not a Luddite. Well maybe a little ! happy11.gif

I have nothing against water cooling. I’m biased toward air but understand that it had become a constraint both for emissions and more importantly for performance.

I’m not against EV’s. They actually hold a vast performance advantage.

I’m am against sedans and SUVs, an presumably Trucks (if it ever comes to that) with Porsche’s name on them. I know all the other cool kids on the block are doing these things but just because they do it, does Porsche have to do it too? I don’t think so. I used to like Porsche because they were different (sports car only, rear engines, air cooling, etc.)

I am against having hidden agenda (or not so hidden) rammed down on me to go EV when the economics of EV ownership is still a net negative. I look forward to 2020 when I can stop subsidizing EV cars for others, and especially $100k EV’s!
jmitro
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 04:36 PM) *

I’m am against sedans and SUVs, an presumably Trucks (if it ever comes to that) with Porsche’s name on them. I know all the other cool kids on the block are doing these things but just because they do it, does Porsche have to do it too? I don’t think so. I used to like Porsche because they were different (sports car only, rear engines, air cooling, etc.)

but your screenname says "996" which was made AFTER 1996 poke.gif Just kidding.

I understand the romanticism of the "sports cars only" moniker, but Porsche never would have survived as an independent company without the Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Macan, etc
beech4rd
"I understand the romanticism of the "sports cars only" moniker, but Porsche never would have survived as an independent company without the Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Macan, etc"

It didn't. It's part of the Volkswagen Group, with Lamborghini and Bugatti and Rolls Royce, among others.

Steve
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 25 2019, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 25 2019, 08:40 AM) *

Where’s Adolf?

Next to Porsche...

Big smile on Hitlers face!! He loved the bug!!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jmitro @ Nov 25 2019, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 04:36 PM) *

but your screenname says "996" which was made AFTER 1996 poke.gif Just kidding.

I understand the romanticism of the "sports cars only" moniker, but Porsche never would have survived as an independent company without the Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Macan, etc

I’m not against all cars made after 1996, only Porsche’s. laugh.gif

I don’t have any grudges with motorcycles . . . Yet. av-943.gif

It’s hard to say that Porsche wouldn’t have survived as a certain fact. Would it be smaller and more of a niche vehicle, maybe. Ferrari survives. Lotus survives. Ducati survives.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Nov 25 2019, 06:43 PM) *

It didn't. It's part of the Volkswagen Group, with Lamborghini and Bugatti and Rolls Royce, among others.

agree.gif aktion035.gif

Automotive is such a bizarre industry and the consolidation of brands has been staggering to watch over the years. I don’t know if you can actually say anyone is “independent” anymore.

Anyone remember when Porsche tried to buy VW and then had it backfire on them?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 06:43 PM) *

And VW turned the tables and bought Porsche.....
jcd914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Of course it is not a simple as VW bought Porsche because the majority owner of VW is Porsche Holdings SE. VW has control of Porsche AG which makes the cars but Porsche Holdings SE, a holding company for Porsche family, is the majority share holder and the majority voting rights in VW AG.

Jim

From Wikipedia:

Porsche SE was created in June 2007 by renaming the old Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, and became a holding company for the families' stake in Porsche Zwischenholding GmbH (50.1%) (which in turn held 100% of the old Porsche AG) and currently is the major shareholder in Volkswagen AG (31.3%) and holds the majority voting rights (53.1%).[8][9] At the same time, the new Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (Porsche AG) was created for the car manufacturing business.

In August 2009, Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG reached an agreement that the car manufacturing operations of the two companies would merge in 2011, to form an "Integrated Automotive Group".[10][11] The management of Volkswagen AG agreed to 50.7% of Volkswagen AG being controlled by Porsche SE in return for Volkswagen AG management taking Porsche SE management positions (in order for Volkswagen management to remain in control), and for Volkswagen AG acquiring ownership of Porsche AG.

As of 2019, the 31.3% stake in Volkswagen AG is the predominant investment by Porsche SE, and Volkswagen AG in turn controls brands and companies such as Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche AG, Ducati, VW Commercial Vehicles, Scania, MAN, as well as Volkswagen Financial Services.[12]

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (which stands for Doktor Ingenieur honoris causa Ferdinand Porsche Aktiengesellschaft), as a 100% subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, is responsible for the actual production and manufacture of the Porsche automobile line.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 26 2019, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2019, 11:07 AM) *

Of course it is not a simple as VW bought Porsche because the majority owner of VW is Porsche Holdings SE. VW has control of Porsche AG which makes the cars but Porsche Holdings SE, a holding company for Porsche family, is the majority share holder and the majority voting rights in VW AG.

Jim

From Wikipedia:

Porsche SE was created in June 2007 by renaming the old Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, and became a holding company for the families' stake in Porsche Zwischenholding GmbH (50.1%) (which in turn held 100% of the old Porsche AG) and currently is the major shareholder in Volkswagen AG (31.3%) and holds the majority voting rights (53.1%).[8][9] At the same time, the new Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (Porsche AG) was created for the car manufacturing business.

In August 2009, Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG reached an agreement that the car manufacturing operations of the two companies would merge in 2011, to form an "Integrated Automotive Group".[10][11] The management of Volkswagen AG agreed to 50.7% of Volkswagen AG being controlled by Porsche SE in return for Volkswagen AG management taking Porsche SE management positions (in order for Volkswagen management to remain in control), and for Volkswagen AG acquiring ownership of Porsche AG.

As of 2019, the 31.3% stake in Volkswagen AG is the predominant investment by Porsche SE, and Volkswagen AG in turn controls brands and companies such as Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche AG, Ducati, VW Commercial Vehicles, Scania, MAN, as well as Volkswagen Financial Services.[12]

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG (which stands for Doktor Ingenieur honoris causa Ferdinand Porsche Aktiengesellschaft), as a 100% subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, is responsible for the actual production and manufacture of the Porsche automobile line.

Now that is what I call a complex deal....
GregAmy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2019, 03:41 PM) *
Now that is what I call a complex deal....

Try sketching out the whole VW/Porsche/Audi family tree.... screwy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 25 2019, 06:33 AM) *
Wait...wut?

It's only funny because in the movies the storm troopers *always* miss.
popcorn[1].gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 26 2019, 02:07 PM) *

Bingo! We have a winner! beerchug.gif

The Wikipedia version is cobbled at best and sort of skips the important segment 2005 to 2009 where Porsche was attempting a secret buy of VW and couldn’t raise the funds to close the deal after they had driven up the VW share price on the open market. Piech out maneuvered Porsche and ended up with Porsche in the bag!

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsche-...-what-happened/
maf914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 25 2019, 04:40 PM) *

It’s hard to say that Porsche wouldn’t have survived as a certain fact. Would it be smaller and more of a niche vehicle, maybe. Ferrari survives. Lotus survives. Ducati survives.

The Ferrari SUV is on the way. laugh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 27 2019, 08:04 AM) *

As stated previously:
I know all the other cool kids on the block are doing these things but just because they do it, does Porsche have to do it too? I don’t think so.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Vehicles (and Brands) are being purchased simply as a lifestyle statement rather than as a means to an end. How many Porsche Macan owners do you think really understand the history of Porsche, care, or even know how to drive thier Porsche SUV? I use the term "drive" in the enthusiast sense - not just lumbering along in the left lane at 5mph BELOW the posted speed limit as a rolling chicane?

The other funny thing is how many of these "lifestyle" vehicles are purched using debt and have long term car notes attached to them. Having a new Taycan with an 7 year note attached doesn't mean that one can "afford" the toy.

"By the third quarter of 2015, 43.5% of new-car buyers had loans of 61 to 72 months, according to Experian. The credit reporting agency noted that 27.5% of buyers had even longer terms for making monthly new car payments: 73 to 84 months. " Want to talk about being under the boot . . . debt puts you under the boot of the empire for sure.

https://www.autolist.com/guides/average-car-loan-length

A bit hard to blame the OEM's for chasing the money but sad none the less. sad.gif
preach
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 25 2019, 10:55 AM) *

WTF are they thinking?

Zach

This:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-reasons-ga...ally-good-guys/

confused24.gif

EDIT: Oh fuch! Sorry about the politics, please don't ban me!!!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 27 2019, 05:04 AM) *

I think they did that in the 80's, remember the LaForza.
Larmo63
Every article in the latest issue of Panorama was about electric cars. I threw it right into the trash in disgust.

E-vehicles interest me about as much as vacuum cleaners.
raynekat
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 28 2019, 09:18 PM) *

Every article in the latest issue of Panorama were about electric cars. I threw it right into the trash in disgust.

I didn't do that....I flipped through the pages for 10 min, then threw it right in the trash. Ugh
Front yard mechanic
I love electric cars its just the long cord that bothers me
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Nov 29 2019, 09:12 AM) *

I love electric cars its just the long cord that bothers me

OT but only slightly:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/st...19-7-1028381172 happy11.gif

Electrics are beyond awesome for straight line acceleration. The handling . . . . we'll let's just say that a 4700 lb pig like the Taycan won't exactly be nimble though I have no doubt it will be better than most. But let's face it, the average consumer of Porsche's SUV's and Taycan's will stromberg.gif themselves at anything over 0.33G of lateral force on real world roads. Cornering is a lost art.

Sure it's nice that it has 600-750 hp but if it wasn't such a pig, it wouldn't need that sort of HP to accelerate it. But the catch is the weight comes from the batteries needed to get any sort of acceptable range (to avoid the long cord . . . or parking on strangers lawns! av-943.gif). I actually look forward to some sort of quantum leap in battery technology that solves this problem but it doesn't look like it will occur any time soon.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 29 2019, 12:18 AM) *

Every article in the latest issue of Panorama were about electric cars. I threw it right into the trash in disgust.

smilie_pokal.gif

Right there with you until the battery issue gets solved and we can get these pigs back down to fighting weight. Pluse we still need to solve the issues related to thermal runaway risks with Li-ion batteries.

Even then I don't think EV's will ever have the soul of a ICE engine vehicle. May have to settle for the soul to be piped in via the audio system. mad.gif

There are actually significant issues with the increase in car sickness that EV drivers and passengers experience related to the abrupt acceleration & decelerations that come with EV's. I'm sure that will eventually be worked out to some degree via software controls improvments or perhaps people will eventually adapt. Early transition from horse and buggy probably came with increased "car" sickness too.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 28 2019, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 27 2019, 05:04 AM) *

I think they did that in the 80's, remember the LaForza.

NARF

Here's the real one but in reality it is a crossover and not a high Cg SUV.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a23300134...over-confirmed/
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 25 2019, 10:58 AM) *

WOW something lost in translation on that one. Must be a younger group of marketing execs. popcorn[1].gif

Yeah, too young or dumb to know when and why (and who) introduced the words "storm troopers" into the modern lexicon.
Larmo63
A whopping quantity of energy is used in the mining and processing of lithium, cobalt, and manganese, crucial raw materials required to manufacture such batteries. It takes more than twice the amount of energy to manufacture an electric car than a conventional one and the main reason for that is the battery. Battery manufacturing with contemporary technology requires 350 to 650 Megajoule of energy per kWh, as per a study led by the IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute.

Also, a typical battery pack of an EV can release 73 to 98 grams of CO2 into the air per kilometre. Added to this, is the CO2 emissions of the electricity from powerplants, which powers such vehicles.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2019, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 25 2019, 06:33 AM) *
Wait...wut?

popcorn[1].gif

Good observation Andy biggrin.gif !
Jamie
We can complain about Porsche straying from the sports car path, but I love my diesel Cayenne for reliable transport in any kind of weather. It pulls my 3 different trailers and yet can run up the back bumper of my PCA club members on any of our "spirited" club drives. Right now the 914 and Cayman are sleeping under their covers with battery tenders until winter and salty roads are gone. driving.gif I have no use for a pricey vehicle that I can't jump into and drive to TX or FL without stopping to charge every 200 or so miles! I'm more interested in making needed stops at Cracker Barrels to refuel me!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 26 2019, 12:50 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

lol3.gif

Few people seem to remember the Carrera GT's exhausts were inspired by Star Wars, but I thought "Stormtrooper" the moment I saw the front end of the Taycan—and didn't dig it. Production Taycan is better in real life, and I've never been in any Porsche that turned so many heads in Europe. It's a looker in real life, even if this marketing lashup is too "on the nose" for me.

As for the Taycan as a car, it's very, very good. And my take is a lot of enthusiasts don't yet realize how much they're gonna like EVs—not because the "empire" is telling them to, but because some will be very good cars. As appliances, anyway, which is most cars. After two days in a Taycan, I felt kinda done with workaday IC engines. Unsoulful inline fours, V6s, muffled V8s, etc. When I got home, intersection after intersection just seemed like a lot of noise pollution for no joy. And I am a lifelong car nut who used to be interested in ALL cars, new or old. Now I find I am interested in so few new cars. If cost was no object (!), if our "grid" was ready for it, and if the grid was ready for it, would I replace our Mazda family car with a Taycan? In a heartbeat. But to check my head, I went and drove my stick 911. First thought as I heard that flat six was, "Nope, not done with this." And then I drove the 914, and thought "NO WAY that I'm done with this."

The Taycan changes things, but it only amplifies my interest in Porsche's sports cars powered by gasoline. It makes them more special in my view, not less. And EVs would be a great way to further separate Porsche's four-doors from its sports cars. Wasn't so long ago that a 991.1 test car was so boring and a Panamera GTS was so good that I wondered if I'd rather have the Panamera. And that wasn't a good place to get to…
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 29 2019, 04:24 PM) *

We can complain about Porsche straying from the sports car path, but I love my diesel Cayenne for reliable transport in any kind of weather. It pulls my 3 different trailers and yet can run up the back bumper of my PCA club members on any of our "spirited" club drives. Right now the 914 and Cayman are sleeping under their covers with battery tenders until winter and salty roads are gone. driving.gif

That speaks more to your skill as a driver and the lack of driving skill of the other members than to the Cayenne's capability.

Trust me, I've driven them all. The Macan is even more nimble than a Cayenne, but I still don't get it. I'm not mad at those that buy them, rather that Porsche decided to go down that path. Why not make a truck too? Those are all the rage latey biggrin.gif

It was funny because when VW 1st captured Porsche in the failed buyout, Piech talked about getting rid of the Cayenne and the Panamera. Then VW got a taste of the money. I guess they decided otherwise. Just like Heroin; once you've had the feeling, its hard to quit and go cold turnkey happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.