Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another "S" bites the dust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
wndsrfr
Exiting the bus stop at Daytona firmly in 4th gear put the power to it and POP...
Here's the carnage...
Krieger
wacko.gif wow! Looks like your pinion shaft was taking some abuse too. Is that a bullet intermediate plate?
Krieger
How much time did you get on this trans? Do you run an lsd?
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 25 2019, 05:20 PM) *

How much time did you get on this trans? Do you run an lsd?

The "S" gearset came from a 912 trans that was a core that came with the car when I got it 6 years ago, so can't say if it was abused by PO's or not. Yep, it's a billet intermediate plate and there is an LSD in this trans. Lots of hours on the trans but about 550 race miles, say maybe 7-8 hours on the "S" gearset since it was installed last summer.
Charlie at Intersport came up with another "S" gearset from his stash so will be back in action soon. I'll be using my shorter geared MSX box for next race at Roebling in Savannah in 3 weeks...
Charles Freeborn
Hmmm. Same gear set as mine. What engine / hp are you pushing through it?
Krieger
That's not a lot of run time. I would think that having an S gear would make it easier on the trans. What kind of hp are you putting out? I have a 3.0 with that puts out just under 250 hp and stock gearing on my 901. No lsd. I have 24 track days on it with no problems
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Charles Freeborn @ Nov 25 2019, 09:39 PM) *

Hmmm. Same gear set as mine. What engine / hp are you pushing through it?

It's a 2.7 215hp on a Mustang dyno....
That gearbox is set up with AFNSZ, use it at longer tracks Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta. The other box is AFMSX for shorter tracks, Roebling, Summit Point. Daytona was too fast even with taller tires, 225/50/16's I was at 7600rpm every lap from turn 4 to past the tri oval s/f line, about 150mph...
Krieger
I have one mod that a racer engine builder John William's at Otto's in Venice beach told me I must have. He said the rear studs that hold the tail cone work loose under load. The higher power is loosening the nuts/studs that hold the tail cone. He had me install longer studs (the ones that hold the tail cone on). Make them so they protrude through the forward end of the trans case. Put nuts on the studs as they are coming through. Tighten the nuts. Then weld those nuts to the studs. I have recently added an oil cooler.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 26 2019, 08:22 AM) *

I have one mod that a racer engine builder John William's at Otto's in Venice beach told me I must have. He said the rear studs that hold the tail cone work loose under load. The higher power is loosening the nuts/studs that hold the tail cone. He had me install longer studs (the ones that hold the tail cone on). Make them so they protrude through the forward end of the trans case. Put nuts on the studs as they are coming through. Tighten the nuts. Then weld those nuts to the studs. I have recently added an oil cooler.

Now that's great advice on strengthening the studs...cooler may be in the works later if I'm running more than sprint sessions....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.