Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coat epoxy primer from PPG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I am looking around local shops to blast my 914, I saw that they offered Epoxy priming as part of the service - Turns out it is a powder coat epoxy product from PPG.

Has anyone heard of this? The spec sheet from PPG is a little ambiguous for top coats.

PCMT70101
ENVIROCRON® Powder Coat

http://www.azprostrip.com/epoxy-primer/
sixnotfour
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 25 2019, 07:24 PM) *

I am looking around local shops to blast my 914, I saw that they offered Epoxy priming as part of the service - Turns out it is a powder coat epoxy product from PPG.

Has anyone heard of this? The spec sheet from PPG is a little ambiguous for top coats.

PCMT70101
ENVIROCRON® Powder Coat

http://www.azprostrip.com/epoxy-primer/

interior // temp of bake ? ...good for stripped shells but ?? i had my shell sprayed and baked ,,but had the body shop spray the epoxy..10 yrs ago..
mepstein
Looks like it's low temp (350 degrees) powder coating. I saw a 911 chassis that was done that way and it looked great. They made it the same color as the final paint and left the interior unpainted.
Mark Henry
I'd ask if it's easy to sand off if you have welding repairs.
The stuff my powder coat guy uses (finish powder coat) is really hard to sand off which could be a royal nightmare with welding prep.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 25 2019, 11:06 PM) *

I'd ask if it's easy to sand off if you have welding repairs.
The stuff my powder coat guy uses (finish powder coat) is really hard to sand off which could be a royal nightmare with welding prep.

agree.gif I would make sure all your welding is done before powder goes on.
Boothy
May not be the same but I sprayed my 356 with an epoxy primer 6-7 years ago. came out well. Really sticks.
jmitro
yea there's epoxy primer and then there's powder coat.
OP is referring to a product supposedly containing both properties in one
Andyrew
Sounds like the start of a $20k paint job.
TravisNeff
Spec sheet.
TravisNeff
I called the shop and asked a couple of questions. They say that it is compatible to topcoat with any other PPG products, high build primers etc.

Ballpark prices were $1,100 for the shell if I get most of the seam sealer out. $125 for each door and if I did the decklids too it would be around $1600 total with media blast, de-ionizing and powder epoxy.

Sounds about the same price for media and traditional epoxy spray application?
Andyrew
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 26 2019, 09:22 AM) *

I called the shop and asked a couple of questions. They say that it is compatible to topcoat with any other PPG products, high build primers etc.

Ballpark prices were $1,100 for the shell if I get most of the seam sealer out. $125 for each door and if I did the decklids too it would be around $1600 total with media blast, de-ionizing and powder epoxy.

Sounds about the same price for media and traditional epoxy spray application?

That pricing does sound pretty good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.