Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really loud knocking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dcecc1968
I have a 1.7 (or 1.8L) with dual carbs and I noticed a really loud knock yesterday driving home intermittently when stopped in traffic,, it would be there really loud, then totally go away. I typically drive @ 40 minutes to and 40 min from work, but yesterday I had to run some errands so I ran it about 2 hours on the way home, so it was warmed up.

My fuel pump is located in the engine bay and typically "clicks" when the key is turned on and it begins pumping, but I think that is normal from what I've read here. My first thought was a valve adjustment was needed, but after one of my stops, when I went to restart the car, the fuel pump made the really loud knocking sound (prior to the engine turning over) that I heard when stopped in traffic.

Does this sound like my fuel pump is going and needs to be replaced? Or is this related to the "hot start problem" I've heard mentioned here before.

Also, if it is a fuel pump, what replacement would you recommend and what can I expect to spend.

Thanks for your help
-Don
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dcecc1968 @ Nov 26 2019, 09:43 AM) *

I have a 1.7 (or 1.8L) with dual carbs and I noticed a really loud knock yesterday...

Does this sound like my fuel pump is going and needs to be replaced? Or is this related to the "hot start problem" I've heard mentioned here before.

Also, if it is a fuel pump, what replacement would you recommend and what can I expect to spend.

Thanks for your help
-Don

If it was a hot start issue, the car simply would not start until the pump (and the fuel in it) cooled down.

If your pump is making loud knocking noises... Is it the facet type pump or rotary type pump? I'm guessing facet. They are loud. Anyway, put eyes on it and make sure its not about to come loose from the car and what you are hearing its it vibrating against something. While there, check to make sure your fuel filter is not filled up with goo or trash. And then replace your pump with any of the 3.5 psi internally regulated rotary style pumps.

And if you have not already, replace ALL your fuel lines with alcohol tolerant lines while you are poking about the engine bay. Fire sucks.

Zach
dcecc1968
Thanks Zach. I can see where a dangling fuel pump can be a problem... I'll check that when I get home.

I'm guessing the rotary pumps are not as loud an more reliable?
VaccaRabite
In short: yes.
They are just all around better.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.