Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 -6 : Brain Trust ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
I have a 914-6 project at Rothsport kinda in limbo.
Chassis's been dipped. But front fenders are toast. Especially, the inner support to the cowl.
But after closer inspection this has had a front clip repair job. But it has both a 914 xxxx vin number up front and a Karmann number in the trunk.

Is this a combo of 2 914-6's ?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

You can tell it spent its early life as a race car with a Ginther type windshield.
I can see the windshield frame splice.
This chassis has been in storage at Rothsport for 15 plus years.

Any history on the chassis number ?

sixnotfour
Scott Taylor had a splicer Ginther style race car in the 80s out of Seattle...
This his first one , He built another more recently, but has sold as a sunauto liveried GT
Cairo94507
All 914-6's had the VIN (shown) up front and the chassis number (shown) in the trunk. However I have no idea if that chassis number originally came with that car. You will have to check other places- the underside of the metal dash frame usually has the chassis number hand written on it. If that number matches your rear trunk number you should be good. beerchug.gif
rgalla9146

There are a few people here that can answer your question pretty accurately.

toolguy
The KARMAN 13xxxx number in the CENTER of the trunk is correct for a 914-6
It can be decoded to determine the build date of the chassis. . Porsche entered
the 914-043 xxxx number when the car was built.

A 914-4 had the Karman number on the right side of the trunk

A search should find u all the info
gms
The production (Karmann) number was stamped as cars were finished at Karmann and sent to Porsche for final assembly, VIN was stamped after car was finished.
According to my data it is unlikely 914.043.0756 would be stamped on production number 130574. I have seen a swing of 90 but 182 is pretty extreme.
gms
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 27 2019, 02:50 AM) *

Scott Taylor had a splicer Ginther style race car in the 80s out of Seattle...
This his first one , He built another more recently, but has sold as a sunauto liveried GT

That would be a great find if it were Scott's car!
davep
There are other examples that appear to have a wide divergence of Karmann # and VIN of about 250. It is now known that there are three important body #'s on these cars. The VIN is well known and can be found in several places. The production #, which is recorded in a Porsche database of the cars, is handwritten on the underside of the removable dash frame in what is apparently lumber crayon. A very similar Karmann body # is stamped into the rear trunk floor.
The production # and Karmann body # are similar in the way the data is encoded. The leading digit: 0=replacement body or 1=production body; the second digit 3=Karmann 914/6 body type; the third digit 0=1970, 1=1971 & 2=1972; the remaining digits are a sequential serial #.
EXCEPT: in 1970 the Karmann body # did not have the year digit, but the production # did.
Also, in 1970 both the 914/4 & 914/6 had the Karmann body # stamped in front of the lock. From 1971 they were stamped in front of the right tail light.
Oddities: The production # and Karmann body # do not match except by accident for most of 1970. I am not to certain of later years. At least one 1971 chassis was used for a 1970 model year car; a Sportomatic.
Cairo94507
Not all Six's had the trunk number in the center of the trunk. I know '70's did and maybe early '71's, but then it appears they were over to the right rear of the trunk for late 71's and probably '72's. beerchug.gif
gms
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 15 2020, 03:19 PM) *

Not all Six's had the trunk number in the center of the trunk. I know '70's did and maybe early '71's, but then it appears they were over to the right rear of the trunk for late 71's and probably '72's. beerchug.gif

The trunk number moved in 1971
Cairo94507
Thanks Glenn. beerchug.gif
UROpartsman
Agree with everything above. We also suspect that the body ID's were just a way to identify the finished tubs when they arrived at Porsche for drive line and suspension installations, and Porsche assigned VIN's as the cars were completed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.