Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winter is coming, be prepared ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
As a year end reminder to be safe out there, here's an educational video on how to drive a 914 in the snow.
driving.gif

PS: Best viewed in full screen mode ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcgu4xedAjs

Unobtanium-inc
What happens if you can't find your car?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 27 2019, 11:53 AM) *

Time to build a storage facility ...
poke.gif

brcacti
Looong ago I drove my orange 914 in the snow up snow skiing, didn't drive that fast smile.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 02:48 PM) *

As a year end reminder to be safe out there, here's an educational video on how to drive a 914 in the snow.
driving.gif

@SirAndy

That is an old video but it just makes me smile every time I see it. Watch his hand speed on the steering wheel. Love the sound of that sweet, sweet air cooled six!

Thanks!
bretth
If I remember right this is a real six too.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 27 2019, 12:08 PM) *
That is an old video ...

I know the video is old, but so is winter ...
biggrin.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 05:22 PM) *

That is an old video ...

biggrin.gif

@SirAndy

You're telling me that from CA? We had 10" of snow here about two weeks ago and we haven't even ofically started "winter". Thank God it finally melted.

Poor @Bbrock probably has 10 feet of snow by now and is probably skiiing off his roof. laugh.gif

The snow does afford the opportunity to drive at the limit and drift a few corners more often though! I'll consider that a small gift. santa_smiley.gif
gms
@GaroldShaffer took me out to lunch in his snow machine a couple weeks ago
Click to view attachment
SteveL
To all the guys in California, bootyshake.gif
We got 10" of snow last night. Thick, Heavy snow that binds up the snowblower auger and sticks to the shovel. Then, today it got warm enough for a little bit of it to melt, coating everything with a layer of slush, which is now freezing into a huge skating rink.
Every winter I curse myself for staying here.
headbang.gif
Time for a beer.
raynekat
Every time I see this video I tell myself.......don't do that. ohmy.gif
beech4rd
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 02:48 PM) *

driving.gif

You only see it at the beginning; the car has GT flares and very skinny tires. That's because you get the best traction on loose material with minimal contact.
djm914-6
That’s going to be me in a few weeks when my Mercedes goes to the body shop. The 914 will be put back to daily use. Wishing I had winter tires on it.
AZBanks
I USED TO live in Michigan.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 27 2019, 03:29 PM) *

Poor @Bbrock probably has 10 feet of snow by now and is probably skiiing off his roof. laugh.gif

Ha! av-943.gif LUCKY bbrock has had plenty of snow since mid-September. I pity you poor souls with little snow and tepid temps. I tell you what though, it feels cold as a witch's tit here today. Thermometer reads 19F which isn't really that cold, but that wind out of Canada sure sends the man parts up into the chest in a hurry. happy11.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 27 2019, 04:31 PM) *

@GaroldShaffer took me out to lunch in his snow machine a couple weeks ago
Click to view attachment

It was fun with stone hard summer tires. Got myself a set of blizzaks that will be put on this Friday, then let the real fun begin! driving.gif
Beach914
I loved winter in Colorado Springs and loved driving my wife's xj6 with blizzaks on the roads after a fresh snow and plowing. My wife got the Land Rover Disco in the winter. She took the jag back in late spring.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 11:55 AM) *

poke.gif

Negative Ghostrider, the inside pattern is full.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 27 2019, 06:52 PM) *

poke.gif

There's nothing preventing you from putting a roof over that outside space ...
poke.gif

Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 27 2019, 06:52 PM) *

poke.gif

There's nothing preventing you from putting a roof over that outside space ...
poke.gif

If any of those cars were going to be here for more than a year I might make more of an effort to protect them. But most of the cars we find have spent decades in the elements so one more year at Unobtanium won't make much difference.
Robarabian
It rained here. We were in shorts and tee shirts. The news was on "Stormwatch" with their "storm tracker" RADAR. Every day, I wake up and realize Gavin Newsome is our Governor and wonder why I stay here.... Snow might be a better trade off...

ClayPerrine
Here it made it to 70 yesterday. Today it was in the 50s. Tomorrow there is supposed to be rain and a high of 47.

We do occasionally get snow. Usually it comes overnight and melts by noon.

I took Igor out for a drive on Sunday. That much HP, a stiff racing clutch, and wet roads don't mix well. driving.gif

Gotta love living in the South. Beats the 5' of snow I had on Thanksgiving weekend when I was 12 and living in Ohio. Took me two days to shovel out the driveway.
Unobtanium-inc
We're supposed to get 8 inches this weekend, spent the day today prepping the lot for snow blowing. It's gonna be looking like this soon.
jim_hoyland
Just do it....

IPB Image
sixnotfour
idea.gif
Krieger
Spiderman is the only person capable of driving this way! With that sticking ability and those reflexes .
lol-2.gif Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 27 2019, 02:22 PM) *

That is an old video ...

biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
jim_hoyland
Fun snow day....

sixnotfour
confused24.gif
sixnotfour
here you go Jim..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGKj-erUH8
buck toenges
I remember driving home on Thanksgiving night 1978 from my uncles house. Had about 6" of snow on the ground. The next day I looked at the back of my car and my 1970 rear valance was gone. Never did find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.