Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How best (and inexpensively) connect headers to exhaust?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Just bring it to local muffler shop and have them run the pipes?

This is a 2.0L engine going into a ā€˜74.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
@Tdskip

I apologize I'm in a giddy mood in advance of the holiday.

Cheapest way to connect the exhuast is with $1.20 worth of bolts. rolleyes.gif

Best way is to have have
@mb911 fabricate a beautiful system out of Stainless to your specification. lol-2.gif

If you go the muffler shop fab route, who knows what you'll get especially if you can't supply the flanges. I've had great shops that do extraordinary work for dirt cheap at times and other times I can tell it was some new Goober they just hired that day that they turned loose with a torch and a MIG.

What ever they do, make sure they provide some sort of support bracket. You don't want the weight of some muffler assembly being suppoted by the headers, they will crack in very short order.

See . . . I tried to be helpful. laugh.gif

mb911
agree.gif
Garland
Looks like the header is exiting exhaust, forward toward the fan housing?

I could say more.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 27 2019, 03:44 PM) *

I could say more.

WTF.gif I was too busy being a smat ass to notice that!

Is that a bus exhaust header?
Garland
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 27 2019, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 27 2019, 03:44 PM) *

I could say more.

WTF.gif I was too busy being a smat ass to notice that!

Well to be honest that was a rare occurrence gotcha!
sixnotfour
75-76 header...flip em around exit rear... cheeeeper.. Dont break a stud $$$
Rand
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 27 2019, 01:06 PM) *

75-76 header...flip em around exit rear... cheeeeper.. Dont break a stud $$$

That was my first thought. Been there done that, don't recommend it. But flip them backwards and instant dual exhaust. So clean. lol, I guess we go through these motions.
Nacho
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Nov 27 2019, 02:49 PM) *

Just bring it to local muffler shop and have them run the pipes?

This is a 2.0L engine going into a ā€˜74.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

I'm thinking that performance would be a bit better with the long tube heat exchanger type headers of a 2.0. They are individual runners coming off each exhaust port from the head vs. the 2 into 1 as pictured. That design seems restrictive for the proper exhaust flow exit.
sixnotfour
oorrrrrr 914 Werke has the heat exchangers for this appp.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen ā€“ exhaust optima on 914 is a whole new topic for me, so appreciate the thoughts.

Iā€™m planning on @mb911 for the /6 exhaust, this one I need to be as frugal as non-self defeating on.

For education purposes, is it correct to say the issue with these is that you have two cylinders venting into the same pipe in close proximity to each other?
sixnotfour
depends on ap.. for my m38a1 with a 307 2bbl 8 into one is a low rpm torquer
rhodyguy
They are pointing the wrong direction, correct for late HEs. Only thing to make them work is the correct HEs/ducting or fab something up. More stub pipe than header. Cheapest easiest would be a set of early ones with garbage casings (usually about for the price of shipping and a bit for time and gas). More exhaust options this route,
Triaddave
Those are the header part of a 75/76 car and they are pointed foreword as they should be to accept the rest of the heat exchangers. You can swap them side to side, they will fit. With the flanges pointed towards the rear, you could have some stup pipes made to the exhaust bracket (stock location and configuration) then just get a 75/76 exhaust to match. Triad does make those. That is what I would do...
Tdskip
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Nov 29 2019, 03:22 PM) *

Those are the header part of a 75/76 car and they are pointed foreword as they should be to accept the rest of the heat exchangers. You can swap them side to side, they will fit. With the flanges pointed towards the rear, you could have some stup pipes made to the exhaust bracket (stock location and configuration) then just get a 75/76 exhaust to match. Triad does make those. That is what I would do...

Very help - thanks!
barefoot
I havfe these for cheap if you're interested ?? Other side is mirror immage.
They were on my car when i got it, have swapped for SSI with heat.

Barefoot

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Holy Ferrari.....run em Skip beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Vroom vroom!

@barefoot - very kind of you to reach out. Shipping might be a bit spendy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.