Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brake Light Not Working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gonzo54
My parking brake light will not come on. Following the posts here I have checked the E brake switch and it's working, checked the bulb and it's working and the continuity of the wire from the switch to the bulb is good. I tried to check the diode with my volt/ohm meter not really sure how and what to expect on ohm's and I have nothing. I bypassed the diode and the Brake Light Flashes when the E Brake is on. So is the diode bad? What do I replace it with? Or can I eliminate it, not sure what it does. Is the E Brake suppose to flash on a 73?

Thanks,
Rick 73 2.0
914_7T3
Yes, it should flash on a '73 2.0.
gonzo54
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Nov 27 2019, 04:47 PM) *

My parking brake light will not come on. Following the posts here I have checked the E brake switch and it's working, checked the bulb and it's working and the continuity of the wire from the switch to the bulb is good. I tried to check the diode with my volt/ohm meter not really sure how and what to expect on ohm's and I have nothing. I bypassed the diode and the Brake Light Flashes when the E Brake is on. So is the diode bad? What do I replace it with? Or can I eliminate it, not sure what it does. Is the E Brake suppose to flash on a 73?

Thanks,
Rick 73 2.0

Thanks, I thought it should flash. I pretty sure the diode is bad. Where can I get a replacement or can I take it out and run a wire between the 2 connectors?

Thanks-
Rick 72 2.0
bbrock
This might help: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...4088-diode.html
gonzo54
That was a helpful article. I bought the diode from my electronics store and the parking brake light is working and flashing when on. Thanks Brent-

Rick 73 2.0
bbrock
Good to know. I may need to use it for my brake light. Question: Does that plastic diode housing open so you can wire in a new diode, or did you just clip it out and wire the new one in its place? beerchug.gif
gonzo54
No the plastic housing does not open, I destroyed it trying. So, I clipped the wires, soldered the diode in going the correct direction and shrink tubed it.
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.