Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panel adhesive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Does 914 rubber sell the recommended adhesive for gluing the vinyl to the sail panels.
mepstein
Most home stores, Amazon, etc carry the 3M spray.
914_7T3
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
DO NOT use Gorilla Glue in a spray can. I used it on the dash board in summer, already pealing off in the cold.
Matty900
QUOTE(tomh @ Nov 28 2019, 08:45 AM) *

Does 914 rubber sell the recommended adhesive for gluing the vinyl to the sail panels.

I prefer to use Wurth high temp spray adhesive.
We will be stocking it soon but are not there quite yet
Big Len
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 28 2019, 03:18 PM) *

agree.gif
IronHillRestorations
I"ve always used 3M Super Trim adhesive. Just don't try and glue the whole thing at once.

Carefully position it and use some masking tape to hold it, as well as masking off the entire area so you don't get adhesive where you don't want it. Then fold the top half down and spray both surfaces and let it dry the time listed on the can. Gradually smooth it up from the glue line working back and forth smoothing as you work your way up. Then fold up the bottom half and repeat the process. If you try and stick it all at once, you'll probably get a wrinkle or air bubble
chrisg
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 28 2019, 11:18 AM) *

While I’m not experienced at sail panel adhesion, my $.02 on the 3m is it will eventually fail with a situation that sees a lot of sun/heat. I use a lot of 3m adhesives (90, 94, Fast Bond 30) in my profession and they seem to always fail after several years in outdoor applications. IMO they do not withstand the temp extremes that a sail panel may be exposed to. Again, just my opinion and experience with various applications using contact adhesives outdoors.
jmitro
QUOTE(chrisg @ Nov 28 2019, 04:56 PM) *

While I’m not experienced at sail panel adhesion, my $.02 on the 3m is it will eventually fail with a situation that sees a lot of sun/heat. I use a lot of 3m adhesives (90, 94, Fast Bond 30) in my profession and they seem to always fail after several years in outdoor applications. IMO they do not withstand the temp extremes that a sail panel may be exposed to. Again, just my opinion and experience with various applications using contact adhesives outdoors.

so what do you recommend?
mepstein
QUOTE(chrisg @ Nov 28 2019, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 28 2019, 11:18 AM) *

Us east coasters never get that much time to have our cars out in the sun.
bandjoey
Will you glue over the paint or sand it down first? What's the preferred install?
Garland
Factory I believe, glued over primer surface, that was splashed around the edges with body color overspray. I’ve used this over the years, with great success, or any good quality rubber cement.
Register the sale panel material to the panel, apply glue to both surfaces, completely, and let dry, then adhere.

Click to view attachment
chrisg
I would say, as above with the Wurth, any old school, solvent based, rubber, contact adhesive would be your best bet. Proper adhesion to both surfaces is the critical aspect. The sprays bond to themselves well, but let go from one of the substrates under extreme conditions suck as heat or continual temperature cycling. 3M fast bond 30 has given me the best results as it a rubber based contact, but still questionable under extreme conditions. Older solvent/rubber based contact adhesives bonded to various substrates much better, IMO. I’m not really sure what’s available outside of California though. We only get stuff that pregnant sea turtles can eat without being harmed.
I would also go with at least a Scotch Brite scuff sand to help the bond.

Again, JMO
altitude411
This is a great vinyl adhesive and not affected by heat cycles.
https://www.amazon.com/HH-66-PVC-Vinyl-Ceme...230&sr=8-13

also has a thinner available to shoot thru a spray gun if you choose.

Stay away from the spray cans
IronHillRestorations
I understand the eco dilema with spray cans, but I can tell you that the home mechanic with limited experience will have better results with a spray, than brush on. It's easier to get it nice and smooth with a spray application, and easier to get lumps with a brush on. You can guess how I know this smile.gif
ConeDodger
My upholstery guy who is the local Porsche club guru says most people who have failures, are using too much.
914_7T3
Just did this a few weeks ago with @SocalAndy and his method is to scuff the paint with a Scotch pad for adhesion.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 29 2019, 01:39 PM) *

Just did this a few weeks ago with @SocalAndy and his method is to scuff the paint with a Scotch pad for adhesion.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

looks great!
iankarr
Weldwood landau top adhesive. Withstands high heat. Unfortunately you can only buy a gallon...but it's worth it. Great for seats, dash tops and sail panels. Use a cheap HF spray gun and wear a respirator. Amazon link below

https://www.amazon.com/Dap-Weldwood-Contact...38931&psc=1
tomh
Great discussion on this, thanks.I’m getting ready to redo my sail panels as a winter project.
My take away is not to use spray adhesive and scuff sand prior to gluing.
I’m pretty sure I’ll use “ Worth”
Optimusglen
Likewise, this has been on my to-do list for the better part of two years. Maybe I'll finally get it done this winter.

BeatNavy
After repairing some rust on my sail panel and trying my hand at painting the roll bar and sail panels (with some success), I am ready to put the new 914 Rubber vinyl on as well as the new targa pad.

Problem is, looks like 3M 90 is getting really hard to find. It's out of stock at all the big box stores it seems, and Amazon has really limited buying options. Is this COVID, VOC's, or some other culprit I wonder confused24.gif

Any other spray adhesives people recommend? I could do the brush on contact cement if needed, but it seems like there's more room for error with this method (per Perry's comment previously).
Cairo94507
I experienced the same problem trying to source the 3M 90 Super adhesive spray. I did find it on eBay from a seller and it took about 1 week to arrive. Cost me $50.... but that is the price you pay for the good stuff some times. Good luck in your search. beerchug.gif
akp2002
Ok this all helps thanks. So I have filled in the holes to mount the lower chrome strip as they promoted rust and am planning on attaching the strips with a strong double sided tape after putting on the sails. Any suggestions?
Cairo94507
3M trim adhesive tape. Works great.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 12 2021, 11:52 AM) *

I experienced the same problem trying to source the 3M 90 Super adhesive spray. I did find it on eBay from a seller and it took about 1 week to arrive. Cost me $50.... but that is the price you pay for the good stuff some times. Good luck in your search. beerchug.gif

Anybody know why this is? I guess it doesn't matter, but it seems a mystery that it rather suddenly is unavailable. The guy at Lowes told me they had it in stock until a few days ago, and now you can't even order it online. Curious. Maybe the massive pipeline supplying 3M 90 to the East Coast was hacked.

No other spray adhesive ideas?

Michael, I've got my roll bar back to Irish Green (just like yours). One day it will be all Irish Green with 16 in Fuchs, although it will have a Type 4 in it, not a six. I'm sure nobody will be able to tell our cars apart rolleyes.gif
bkrantz
I used this. Claims to be resistant to heat failure.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/welatopandtr.h...TBoC120QAvD_BwE
ndfrigi
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 12 2021, 03:37 PM) *

Anybody know why this is? I guess it doesn't matter, but it seems a mystery that it rather suddenly is unavailable. The guy at Lowes told me they had it in stock until a few days ago, and now you can't even order it online. Curious. Maybe the massive pipeline supplying 3M 90 to the East Coast was hacked.

Michael, I've got my roll bar back to Irish Green (just like yours). One day it will be all Irish Green with 16 in Fuchs, although it will have a Type 4 in it, not a six. I'm sure nobody will be able to tell our cars apart rolleyes.gif

3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, Permanent, Bonds Laminate, Wood, Concrete, Metal, Plastic, Clear Glue, Net Wt 17.6 oz, Will Spray Upside Down https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SHWY/ref=cm...=UTF8&psc=1
BeatNavy
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 13 2021, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ May 12 2021, 03:37 PM) *

3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, Permanent, Bonds Laminate, Wood, Concrete, Metal, Plastic, Clear Glue, Net Wt 17.6 oz, Will Spray Upside Down https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SHWY/ref=cm...=UTF8&psc=1

"Usually ships within 1 to 2 months"

pinch.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.