Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing my 914 back to life
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattNorton7
How’s it going everybody? New here. So basically I have an all original ‘75 914 that was my father’s and it has been sitting in his garage, covered up, sadly for about the past 20 years. Not sure why. I would like nothing more than to bring it back to life. Also I’m positive it hasn’t been started for probably the same amount of time it’s been sitting. It’s a beautiful car and I refuse to let it be neglected and collect dust. Have NO clue where to begin or the process of a project like this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.
preach
welcome.png

You'll get your help here for sure!

Welcome.
914werke
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mepstein
welcome.png
fiacra
I also have a 1975 1.8 that has been sitting in storage for 8 years now. Bought it when I knew a lot less about 914's, couldn't solve a problem I was having, and so I put it in the garage to "get to when I can" and well.... I think there are a lot of us out there with cars on jackstands so I don't feel lonely.

Not sure how you want to approach your project, but for almost a year now I've been mining this forum, reading build threads, meeting fellow more informed owners, and generally gathering information. (I also bought a well sorted driver in the meantime because, well, immediate gratification biggrin.gif ) I've always wanted to see a well documented thread on bringing a stored car that only needed "maintenance" back to life. There are lots of threads out there on bringing a car back from the brink of the junkyard. I think if you go to this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...35667&st=40 and look at post #43 you'll see a list that dr914 posted of the things he did to a car he bought that had been in long term storage. Of course things like "check the brakes for operation" have a whole sublist of items to accomplish, but it is a good list to look at and give you an idea of what you need to tackle. Good luck and I'll be watching to see what others post.
Coondog
QUOTE(MattNorton7 @ Nov 30 2019, 08:58 AM) *

How’s it going everybody? New here. So basically I have an all original ‘75 914 that was my father’s and it has been sitting in his garage, covered up, sadly for about the past 20 years. Not sure why. I would like nothing more than to bring it back to life. Also I’m positive it hasn’t been started for probably the same amount of time it’s been sitting. It’s a beautiful car and I refuse to let it be neglected and collect dust. Have NO clue where to begin or the process of a project like this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Congrats, your going to get some awesome advise on what it’s going to take to make your family’s 914 road worthy. I will only start with read, learn, listen, ask questions, watch u tube videos then figure out your budget before you start this project. You will get advise from replacing fuel lines to tires. It’s the order that you do things which will make for a happier Resto experience.
Tdskip
Welcome - lots of good people here to help.

@MattNorton7 - How comfortable are you working on cars? That is the first question...
PanelBilly
welcome.png
jtprettyman
Welcome - there are several Knoxville area folks on here who may be able to provide some guidance (Nashville area here). Post up some detailed pictures of what you are starting with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.