Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shipping Q? - transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM

need to ship a transaxle from NorCal to SoCal

- seek opinions on best way to do that (it is CLEAN & empty)

- will UPS (or other) accept & ship it bare with a label on a tag, or does it need to be boxed and/or crated? (i do have a 914Ltd shipping crate from long ago)

TIA

914-6 & 911/3.2 parts FS - pdf here https://tinyurl.com/911-914-Parts-List
rjames
I use Dr. Evil’s recommendation:

Get a Rubbermaid container with a lid. Drill holes around the perimeter and use zip ties to the lid in place. Pack it with cardboard to keep the trans from moving around inside. Ship it via UPS. 7 years or so ago it cost me about $75 to ship one. Not sure what they charge now.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 30 2019, 02:07 PM) *

I use Dr. Evil’s recommendation:

Get a Rubbermaid container with a lid. Drill holes around the perimeter and use zip ties to the lid in place. Pack it with cardboard to keep the trans from moving around inside. Ship it via UPS. 7 years or so ago it cost me about $75 to ship one. Not sure what they charge now.

agree.gif All that is consistent with my experience as well.
rhodyguy
Not the yellow and black ones from Costco. They tend to crack. The tote at Walmart is about $15. Free FedEx account. substancial savings. A piece of plywood in the bottom helps keep things intact.
mepstein
That's how I did it until fedex put a forklift through the container and broke the trans in half. It was a 911 trans insured for $2K but they refused to pay and cited improper packing. I followed up and it was determined they only insure when it's on a pallet even though they will take your money for insurance. I learned the hard way but just wanted to pass it along.
cary
Preferred shipping method at Rothsport.
Gearbox in big cooler, banded onto pallet.
914Sixer
Whatever style of container you use, put a piece of wood down in the bottom to support the weight of the transmission.When I shipped my transmission to DR Evil I used a rolling RubberMaid trash can. Made it easy on the freight guys, no lifting.
larryM
excellent ideas & advice above - thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.