Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911SC flares - another option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gary
Hi guys, have largely been lurking due to being 914-less for the last couple years. She's been at Aircooled Racing in PA getting a couple patch panels in the floor pans and lower firewall, a bare metal or primer up paint job, roll bar, 911SC flares, and a 2.7L six put in. I went to visit last week and took some pics. Some other goodies installed are 4 pot brembo (944T) calipers and carrera rotors up front, carrera calipers and rotors out back and konis all around. Thought folks might be interested.
Gary
Close up of flare:
Gary
Rear view:
Gary
Rear view. Color is L OA9, a pearl white in mid 80's Audi's and an option on '86 911s.
Gary
Getting a Getty dash... Also notice, the sidebar from the roll bar for a little bit of side intrusion protection:
Gary
Finally - rebuilt webers, and an alternator with internal regulator (gonna get rid of the relay board, hehe):
jonwatts
Sorry, we don't really like 914s here. cool.gif

Nice work and a nice car. A little hard to see the true color indoors (those pearl colors are always tricky). Can wait to see it in the sunlight.

Jon
Brad Roberts
Thanks for posting Gary. It appears Steve is doing a great job for you. Make sure you let Steve know we are here. I know he has about as much time as I do for this "crap" but he would benefit greatly by sharing some of his 914 knowledge with this group.

Nice car.

B
Gary
Yup,

Steve's a great guy - a really nice guy who's never been anything but honest with me. Also kept me out of trouble on some "out there" ideas too... He's got a cool collection of early 70's racing 911's and 914's. Great hobby, but I'm glad it's his and not mine, hehe.

I'll email him this link. Maybe he'll pop by. He's on the other coast near where I was stationed at the time. He's got a website: Aircooled Racing

Gary
tahoward
That is gonna be one nice car!! How soon till its finished?
Gary
Hoping for mid-March, but might be April.
Mike D.
Here is a shot of the 911 sc flare done on my car. we did the rocker pannel a little (a lot) different. check it out
-Mike D.
scottb
gary,

please have your body guy show up at my house as soon as possible. he will need to bring all his tools and have this done for my car before i move to mass in about a month. hope he can find the time. that car looks sweet!
Brad Roberts
I dont want to bust any bubbles here... but notice something about the cars pictured with the flares installed (SC) ?? None of them are sitting on the ground with a fat tire/wheel combo under the flare. The one and only SC flare conversion car running around here complained that the SC flare looked good, but didnt offer him much more room because of the "slope". Also.... RULES. JP knows about this. There is a reason why the GT factory look flares have the exact same 914 opening.

Just be careful and check your local rules for whatever class you *might* want to run in.

B
scottb
my car is gonna be for pimpin'....... cool_shades.gif

what are the rules there?
krk
Gary,

The car looks sweet, but *man* the webers look _clean_!

(can you tell I have weber-envy?)

kim.
L8Apex
scottb, the rules is that you have to have these wheels on there

IPB Image
Gary
Hey Scott,

If you're really interested, the body shop is about 1/2 hour east of Gettysburg. Depending on where you are in Maryland, they may be close... They did a great job: primer coat, 3 base coats, 2 pearl coats, 1 clear coat. I wouldn't bring the girls by; they seem to be a pretty upstanding shop.

Brad,

I'll post when the wheels and tires go on. I had 205's on 7X16's with the fender rolled a bit. Hoping for 245s on 8's. 225s would still be a big improvement.
Brad Roberts
KRK,

Are your carbs still out ?? I have everything we need to pro-rebuild carbs. We just finished the carbs for Mikes 914/6.

B
krk
Brad,

Haven't done the carbs yet. Got as far as collecting some names, but I've been a bit sidetracked. But it's time to get moving.

So you can do the throttle plate bushings now? (I'm assuming that the shafts/etc are still ok, but even if I have to source them, that shouldn't be a big problem)

In Gary's case, I just love seeing well polished webers.

kim.
MJHanna
You mean like this. smlove2.gif
krk
Oh yeh. That's the look alright! Very nice.

kim.
J P Stein
Oh boy, another excuse to post my favorite pic.
Brad Roberts
Mark has the fastest lawn mowers in North Texas.

JP, is your back ok after taking that pic ??

I have a pic of Muellers carb in one of the Bridgeport mills getting a broken air correction tube out.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 6 2003, 11:27 AM)

JP, is your back ok after taking that pic ??

B

Heh, heh.

That was a one hand shot with my digital camera. Just kinda stuck it in there and fired away....no talent at all....figures rolleyes.gif
seanery
What kind of flares are these?
IPB Image
krk
JP: That is a beaut. You can even read "weber".

Seanery: This prolly won't help much, but I assume you know that is one of the 2 8 cylinder 914's produced at the factory. I'm pretty sure the guys taking the photo are Reef/Mastenbroek (who did "caught by camera") The wheel arches got "subtle flares" according to the commentary in the book. For your obref: the car was towed to the photo location by the red car in the background.

kim.
seanery
Thanks I didn't know that!

hmmm, they're nice sized, and somewhat subtle.
campbellcj
Great car -- a local SoCal guy did his 914 in a Caddy pearl white. High-end paint job (for a 914, i.e. bare metal, several $K). Looks sweet. My Audi is pearl white also, but I think the newer version has a bit more "beige" in it.

OK, I might as well show off my webers too, since this has turned into a carb candy thread. Mine are not as finger-lickin' clean as JP's, but not too bad.

On the four-banger (in car now) --

On the six-banger (going in car Real Soon Now, I hope) --

krk
Chris,

"carb candy"! God, I love that phrase!!!

We'll be re-using that one! (although prolly not describing mine... oh, oh...
I know what comes next...)

kim.
krk
Oh yeh, and JP's are the end goal. Sheesh, even the stacks are polished!

kim.
seanery
here's mine
seanery
Here are my webers.
seanery
ok really, i'm gonna post the pic, i swear.
krk
seanery:

Outside of teasing us a little, that's a fine pic!

kim.
krk
Here's mine. Not quite as purty I'm afraid!

kim.
SpecialK
You guy's are killing me drooley.gif , nice cars!!

I've got rear SC's on my '73, and hope to put a mild flare on my fronts with the help of John Kelley's tips and tricks smash.gif , similar to the 914-8 pic a couple of posts up.

Kind of curious about why a 914 with SC's would have more of a tire clearance problem than a 911 SC? confused24.gif

Oh yeah Brad...mine's been "levitating" in the garage for 5 years now, but at least it's an assembly process at this point. beer.gif
Steve
Beach boys racing next to Ottos has been installing SC flairs for years.
Performance products used to sell them but It was usually cheaper to get cut off ones from the wrecking yard.

Depending on the color I didn't think the rounded SC flair matched the boxy body.
The BBR car was black and had matching rockers.
I thought it looked pretty good in black.
Gary
I can tell you it looks pretty nice in Pearl White Metallic LOA9. It's the Audi pearl white, interestingly also avaiable on the 930 as a factory option.

What kinda rubber you guys running out back?
GTeener
Ah, another opportunity to show off my SC flares. I love the look wub.gif

I run 225x15 8's on my rear... Khumo VictoRacers
GTeener
side view
Gary
Very nice. 225's will work for me...
Eddie914
What size of Webers are these?

... and why are there so many plug wires?

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Mar 12 2005, 11:12 PM)
What size of Webers are these?

... and why are there so many plug wires?

MFI?
JoeSharp
I kinda like the SC flair also. This one looks like Mike D's car. biggrin.gif
Joe
JoeSharp
225 50 16 with a 19mm spacer.
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.