Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just drove that white 914/6 3.0 L car in Newport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Pages: 1, 2
Tdskip
Went to go look at this under the theory that buying one complete is cheaper than building it, and it’s a ripsnorter of a car. The guy who owns it, Joe, is a good guy and he’s got a good history on the car. Engine and gearbox seem really healthy.

It’s too high adrenaline for me, at least as it’s currently set up, the Webers and the exhaust that are on it are a bit too aggressive for what I’m looking to build, but if you want something to wake you up and be aggressive with this might be a good one.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Here is the link

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/d/n...7030092936.html
Robarabian
Isnt that car the one with a Salvage title though? I thought the original ad listed it as salvage...
Tdskip
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2019, 11:14 PM) *

Isnt that car the one with a Salvage title though? I thought the original ad listed it as salvage...

My understanding is that it is a salvage title car, apparently there was a front hit back in the 90s that was repaired. The seller was completely straightforward about it when I stop by to see the car and helped me locate where the repair was done .
burton73
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 1 2019, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Dec 1 2019, 11:14 PM) *

My understanding is that it is a salvage title car, apparently there was a front hit back in the 90s that was repaired. The seller was completely straightforward about it when I stop by to see the car and helped me locate where the repair was done .

FROM THEIR AD
California slavage title from a front end hit in the 70's. Car was fixed properly by TLG auto back

Bob B
mb911
Looks like a nice car.. I am going to let you in on a little secret.. The reason I sold my last 914-6 was because it was loud with no heat.. That is why I started doing what I do now.. Creature comforts in my book are heat, and quiet mufflers..
eric9144
Bummer for the salvage title dry.gif Otherwise I'd probably have been all over this one.
All of the other stuff could be addressed over time, but the title thing will always be a cloud that affects value.
Justinp71
If he has the stock CIS pistons in the car still you can convert it to CIS. Which isn't too hard but it will take finding a nice CIS system and some homework.

Also I think if you just put on a stock 911 air cleaner and one of Ben's new quiet mufflers it should tame it down quite a bit with some easy parts swapping.

I like it loud, when I went from CIS to webers I was in love... wub.gif
PlantMan
Dont let the salvaged title scare you.
If you like it, buy it. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy.
Looks like a nice car to me.
bulliporker
does anyone know the owner as sent him a email and still not heard anything back
colingreene
yeah look up joe anselmo motorsports.
thats him.
6s219
I was considering this car however the salvage title turned me away. I think it is a good build and as the seller said, you will be hard-pressed to find a better canyon carver. But remember the car you buy today might be the car you have to sell in the future and that salvage title might be a black cloud. I have found salvage cars always have a story as to why they were salvaged.
mepstein
QUOTE(6s219 @ Dec 4 2019, 08:47 PM) *

I was considering this car however the salvage title turned me away. I think it is a good build and as the seller said, you will be hard-pressed to find a better canyon carver. But remember the car you buy today might be the car you have to sell in the future and that salvage title might be a black cloud. I have found salvage cars always have a story as to why they were salvaged.

But that’s why they come cheaper.
6s219
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2019, 06:10 PM) *

$27,500 is cheap?
Tdskip
I have no financial interest in this car, but I would suggest that asking and selling price may be significantly different with this one. I’d just pick up the phone and call him, seems like a good guy and I think he’s motivated .
mepstein
QUOTE(6s219 @ Dec 5 2019, 01:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2019, 06:10 PM) *

$27,500 is cheap?

For a good running conversion. Yes. Try to have one built for that price.
6s219
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 5 2019, 07:03 AM) *

I have no financial interest in this car, but I would suggest that asking and selling price may be significantly different with this one. I’d just pick up the phone and call him, seems like a good guy and I think he’s motivated .

By no means am I questioning the sellers character, in fact I applaud him for disclosing that the car has salvage title, and I think we all know it is more cost-effective to find a complete car then it is to try to go out and do it on your own. if he’s motivated to sell he should put a motivated price. If somebody’s looking for a car like this and sees a price at $27,500 but only has a $22,000 budget chances are they’re going to say there’s too much of a spread and the seller won’t come down that low and will look elsewhere.

Andyrew
Its a $20k motor... Your getting a hell of a lot of car for 27500...

Conversion 6's are probably the best bang for the buck Porsches on the market.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 5 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Its a $20k motor... Your getting a hell of a lot of car for 27500...

Conversion 6's are probably the best bang for the buck Porsches on the market.

agree.gif I'm surprised it's still available.
roblav1
Agree... $27.5k is a good deal. I'm building one now and am way over that already. My engine alone is $25k.
mountainroads
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Dec 5 2019, 03:35 PM) *

Agree... $27.5k is a good deal. I'm building one now and am way over that already. My engine alone is $25k.

I can attest to that, as well. Mine's not a conversion nor did it require major restoration, but the expenses racked up in a big hurry.

- MR
burton73
What does this car use for extra oil cooling?

I have a message in but no word back

Bob B
914z
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 4 2019, 12:30 PM) *

If he has the stock CIS pistons in the car still you can convert it to CIS. Which isn't too hard but it will take finding a nice CIS system and some homework.

Also I think if you just put on a stock 911 air cleaner and one of Ben's new quiet mufflers it should tame it down quite a bit with some easy parts swapping.

I like it loud, when I went from CIS to webers I was in love... wub.gif

DITTO!!! The CIS will give you the gas mileage(?) but there is nothing like the sound of gasoline being fed into the venturies beer3.gif
matthepcat
I would take off the carbs and run a megasquirt based ITB set up. No way would I go back to CIS. Somthing like this: https://www.x-faktory.com/store/c6/EFI.html
914_teener
QUOTE(6s219 @ Dec 4 2019, 05:47 PM) *

I bought a used Cayman as a salvage title. It was hit in the front and the insurance company bought it. 60 k on the clock and for an 06 I've had more fun in it for the last two years.

I considered building a -6 for my 914 before I bought the Cayman. I got a stealer deal on the Cayman because of the title.

To build a car like this would cost twice as much as the asking price. The motor alone is over 20k.

If the ask is 27k and everything checks out that is a killer deal.

If I had space in my garage I'd get it.

GLWS
burton73
Going down now to CK it out. Joe is a nice guy on the phone.

I will let you all know.

Bob B driving.gif
burton73
Joe had a lot of nice cars over at his place. On to the 914-6 3.0 conversation. Work was done at Mario and dads shop in the San Fernando Valley. The body was not that bad from the front hit back in the day that made it a salvage Pink.
The car had an AC with its 2.0 and the condenser was removed and a piece of steel was welded in but not a replacement panel. The car looks pretty right in the front in the trunk and there are only some small gap difference in the front hood and flip up lights but not that bad.
The car has a Carrera front end and someone put vented disks on rear and spaced out the 914-4 rear calipers for ebrake that works fine. The car has Webbers 40s and at this time does nor idle well and needs some tuning but the car also did not have filters on the Webbers and it is very loud. That and the GT twin exhaust pipe in the center of rear of muffler. Very loud. No extra oil cooling but he has a GT engine lid that does not pop up because it has no springs on it.

The engine looks super clean from the bottom. Jo says it only has a couple of hundred miles on the Eng. and trans was just rebuilt and worked well. The throttle is not smooth at all and this make the car in this state hard to drive smooth. Car has 7in Fuchs all around and is lowered a bit and scrapes the tires when going down or up a driveway at slow speed. Rear lips are not rolled. Paint is older but very shinny and a nice body.
Steering wheel wiggles up and down a little and buy the way you have to yell to he heard by your passenger.

Headers not heat exchangers and as I said very loud.

My 6 at PMB better not be this loud or I will need to rethink it.

If a guy got it at the right price he could do a bit of work to it to get it very nice but way more than my buddie is looking for.

Bob B
flat4guy
Thanks for the report - I have a loud 912 now so the wife would not like another one, haha. Still tempting but need to figure how much it will take to make it a good fun driver.
Alapone
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 11 2019, 04:52 PM) *

Joe had a lot of nice cars over at his place. On to the 914-6 3.0 conversation. Work was done at Mario and dads shop in the San Fernando Valley. The body was not that bad from the front hit back in the day that made it a salvage Pink.
The car had an AC with its 2.0 and the condenser was removed and a piece of steel was welded in but not a replacement panel. The car looks pretty right in the front in the trunk and there are only some small gap difference in the front hood and flip up lights but not that bad.
The car has a Carrera front end and someone put vented disks on rear and spaced out the 914-4 rear calipers for ebrake that works fine. The car has Webbers 40s and at this time does nor idle well and needs some tuning but the car also did not have filters on the Webbers and it is very loud. That and the GT twin exhaust pipe in the center of rear of muffler. Very loud. No extra oil cooling but he has a GT engine lid that does not pop up because it has no springs on it.

The engine looks super clean from the bottom. Jo says it only has a couple of hundred miles on the Eng. and trans was just rebuilt and worked well. The throttle is not smooth at all and this make the car in this state hard to drive smooth. Car has 7in Fuchs all around and is lowered a bit and scrapes the tires when going down or up a driveway at slow speed. Rear lips are not rolled. Paint is older but very shinny and a nice body.
Steering wheel wiggles up and down a little and buy the way you have to yell to he heard by your passenger.

If a guy got it at the right price he could do a bit of work to it to get it very nice but way more than my buddie is looking for.

Bob B

Any word on how oil cooling is handled?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 12 2019, 06:07 AM) *

Bob B

burton73
Note this is not my car. I just went down with a bud to CK it out.

On this car Oil cooling is a what looks like a stock on engine 911sc oil cooling. The oil cooler on the car looks super clean. They think only a couple of hundred miles on it. Look if the factory put up front extra oil cooling on 911scs I would do the same for this car. Some people run one in the rear like the one Tangerine racing sells, but he has set ups for the 4 and I am not sure he has a under rear trunk one for a six?

Ben has lines for front cooler and heat exchangers and mufflers.

https://914-6werkshop.com/shop/products/

http://www.tangerineracing.com/contact_us.htm

Bob B

Alapone
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 12 2019, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 12 2019, 06:07 AM) *

Bob B

ha thanks sry
Tdskip
On a sidenote it continues to amaze me how many people claim to be interested in buying a $25,000 plus car but can’t be bothered to read the description of what’s been provided including that both Bob and I have made clear it is not our car.
thelogo
Without salvage title it would be sold .

That shit scares people off i think .
And by the time you re do the exausht and add a front cooler $$$
And add the correct non rubbing size wheels and tires
More $

And tuneing ??? Wtf . that cost money too
And not having it dialed in ( able to idle) etc
Is bad judgement on the sellers part .

That being said .... I love the car and would be a buyer at 20k wub.gif. Because i would just want to drive the snot out of it not go the concourse route

There was a red conversion /6
3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold
PotterPorsche
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 14 2019, 02:50 PM) *

More $

That being said .... I love the car and would be a buyer at 20k wub.gif. Because i would just want to drive the snot out of it not go the concourse route

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

3.2 go for more than 10k for the engine alone .
914_teener
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Dec 13 2019, 06:41 AM) *

On a sidenote it continues to amaze me how many people claim to be interested in buying a $25,000 plus car but can’t be bothered to read the description of what’s been provided including that both Bob and I have made clean it is not our car.

.....and can't

right....write.

thelogo
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Dec 15 2019, 04:54 PM) *

More $

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

So said the guy who was selling it .

I posted it here on classifieds .

I'm almost sure Leamon beat me too it .bit smoke.gif
Racer
"investment" buyers don't want a salvage title. Honestly, a 40+ year olfd car that hasn't had a tweak? Given that these cars were so cheap for so long, not suprised that an accident would have totaled it.. ie, its a $5K car when in an accident. Costs $3k to fix. Insurance decides to total/salvage it out. Not shocked.

Problem is many still want "investment" benefits, even if the car in question more than suits their needs.

As someone mentioned... this one would just be a case of buy low sell low, vs buy low, sell high. So what. Salvage means open season to flare out, cage, take racing, enjoy as is w/o fear of needing to insure for $100K.
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 17 2019, 04:02 AM) *

QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Dec 15 2019, 04:54 PM) *

More $

3.2 that was asking 10k
Car didnt need much

Dont think it sold

So said the guy who was selling it .

I posted it here on classifieds .

I'm almost sure Leamon beat me too it .bit smoke.gif

the $10K 3.2 was a scam ad.
mepstein
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 17 2019, 09:34 AM) *

"investment" buyers don't want a salvage title. Honestly, a 40+ year olfd car that hasn't had a tweak? Given that these cars were so cheap for so long, not suprised that an accident would have totaled it.. ie, its a $5K car when in an accident. Costs $3k to fix. Insurance decides to total/salvage it out. Not shocked.

Problem is many still want "investment" benefits, even if the car in question more than suits their needs.

As someone mentioned... this one would just be a case of buy low sell low, vs buy low, sell high. So what. Salvage means open season to flare out, cage, take racing, enjoy as is w/o fear of needing to insure for $100K.

Guys still think it cost $5K to do a conversion. lol-2.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 17 2019, 10:22 AM) *

Guys still think it cost $5K to do a conversion. lol-2.gif

Oh sure, tell me that now. Some help you are....grin.
914_teener
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 17 2019, 06:34 AM) *

agree.gif

I got my 987 this way. 12k for a 3.4 with 300HP. Air conditioning, air bags...everything checked out.

Can't do a -6 conversion for that, it was a no brainer.

However......................I miss the roar of the air cooled sound....

for a minute or two. av-943.gif
infraredcalvin
Craigslist ad deleted....
JOEPROPER
It was just listed on ebay. $22,500.00
burton73
Here is a great chance to own and drive one of the greatest canyon carvers of all time. Professionally built by Marco at TLG auto, this 1973 914 with a large 6 cylinder SC motor screams thru the hills. Car has been indoors its whole life, and currently has a California salvage title from a front hit in the late 70's. SC motor has Weber 40's, and the 914 side shift gear box has about 250 miles since a full on rebuild. Real fuchs 16 inch - 5 bolt wheels at all 4 corners. Front suspension is from an 85 911 3.2 ltr and just received new pads, rotors, and rebuild calipers. Bilstein shocks at all 4 corners. Racing headers to a sport muffler with twin pipes out the back. Idles quietly but once on the pipe - with the howl of the intake and twin pipes out the back - it gets loud ! Brand new carpet kit and new seats. Originally a red car with a/c, painted white and still looks great. A few dime size rust bubbles around typical areas as the front windshield post, rear sail panels, and rear trunk. Rest of frame and floors are great with no issues. Professional detail already done by Jeff at Classy Cars in Newport Beach. A fantastic project car done by some of the top shops in southern California ready to go !!

EBAY AD

Bob B

Not my car but a steel at $22,500. if you can get it for that
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 19 2019, 06:47 PM) *

Here is a great chance to own and drive one of the greatest canyon carvers of all time. Professionally built by Marco at TLG auto, this 1973 914 with a large 6 cylinder SC motor screams thru the hills. Car has been indoors its whole life, and currently has a California salvage title from a front hit in the late 70's. SC motor has Weber 40's, and the 914 side shift gear box has about 250 miles since a full on rebuild. Real fuchs 16 inch - 5 bolt wheels at all 4 corners. Front suspension is from an 85 911 3.2 ltr and just received new pads, rotors, and rebuild calipers. Bilstein shocks at all 4 corners. Racing headers to a sport muffler with twin pipes out the back. Idles quietly but once on the pipe - with the howl of the intake and twin pipes out the back - it gets loud ! Brand new carpet kit and new seats. Originally a red car with a/c, painted white and still looks great. A few dime size rust bubbles around typical areas as the front windshield post, rear sail panels, and rear trunk. Rest of frame and floors are great with no issues. Professional detail already done by Jeff at Classy Cars in Newport Beach. A fantastic project car done by some of the top shops in southern California ready to go !!

EBAY AD

Bob B

Not my car but a steel at $22,500. if you can get it for that

agree.gif lots left to instal EFI and Ben’s exhaust.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

A little slice of perfection. Sum of parts less than the asking. I’d rather drive than show. I should list the ABM and buy this one!
Judgeholden
What are the reasons NOT to buy this car?

I am seriously thinking about buying this car. Honestly, my biggest fear is that this is some rust bucket. I have owned two 914s before and both ended up being stealth rust buckets. Did anyone look at the Hell hole?

As far as the noise, what could be done to bring that under control?

I am fortunate to a have good friends who are air-cooled Porsche guys so I won't be totally alone, but I really don't want a project that requires that I rebuild the car from scrap. I don't care about the salvage title.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Judgeholden @ Dec 30 2019, 06:28 PM) *

What are the reasons NOT to buy this car?

I am seriously thinking about buying this car. Honestly, my biggest fear is that this is some rust bucket. I have owned two 914s before and both ended up being stealth rust buckets. Did anyone look at the Hell hole?

As far as the noise, what could be done to bring that under control?

I am fortunate to a have good friends who are air-cooled Porsche guys so I won't be totally alone, but I really don't want a project that requires that I rebuild the car from scrap. I don't care about the salvage title.

I think it’s pretty darn solid having seen it, Bob and others spent more time with it than I did.
drem914
Ebay add terminated with 0 bids. Looks like it may be gone...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.