Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine wiring harness query
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Greg
I have bought a roller without an engine wiring harness, it was a 4 that will be converted to a 6 with MSD and built in alt regulator, would it be just as easy to start from scratch with a harness than mod an old one?
mb911
QUOTE(914Greg @ Dec 1 2019, 03:06 PM) *

I have bought a roller without an engine wiring harness, it was a 4 that will be converted to a 6 with MSD and built in alt regulator, would it be just as easy to start from scratch with a harness than mod an old one?

Are you speaking of the engine compartment chassis harness? Or an engine harness which is part of the engine..
Rosie
The harness that would go from the 12 pin connector on the relay/fuse panel.
Mikey914
I have the ignition harness you are referring in several variations as well as the FI one if you need it.
IronHillRestorations
If you are looking for an engine harness for a 6 conversion, I can make one for you. It'll be a few months before I'm back in action, but I've done several for 6 conversions with MSD
Mark Henry
Is it for a /4 or a /6? Carbs or FI?
Do you still have the relay board or has it been removed?
IronHillRestorations
The OP says "will be converted to 6"
Mark Henry
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Dec 2 2019, 01:25 PM) *

The OP says "will be converted to 6"

Sorry thought it said "was".

You will have to decide on several things
- to keep the relay board or delete it.
-where you plan to mount the MSD box.
-where you're mounting the fuel pump.
-what extra gauges you will run and how you want to run the wiring.

My engine harness I deleted the relay board and made it a quick conect to the main harness using the proper connector, but I still have a couple connections on the right side where I mounted my regulator and MSD. My MSD I did a stealth install in the stock location by modifying a /6 CDI mount. Then I still have a secondary harness for some of my gauges, again with a quick disconnect.
Using quick disconnect(s) my harnesses stay on the engine for easy R&R of the engine.

Taking the extra time sorting and planning of where everything goes will make for a much cleaner cable harness install.

If you're not that great with wiring and for the proper connectors Perry is you're best bet for getting a clean harness that is custom built to your needs.

914Greg
Thanks for all the assistance and advice guys, when I get the car shipped I will work out the best way to go.
I'm good with wiring and have just finished reworking a harness on a 2.7 in a 911 from FI to carbs, and msd. I thought i might just start by getting a couple of multi pin connectors but i dont see them listed in the Porsche parts catalogue, are they available anywhere.
Tom
I modified an existing harness for a 3.0 several years ago. The 12 pin connector was sourced by the owner if I remember right and I seem to remember something about Mercedes using the same connectors. His was using carbs. We called Jerry Woods in California to be sure about the hookup with MSD. Nice fellow and very helpful. I kind of dropped out of 914 things after selling my 76 2.0 and haven't kept in touch with the guy I did the harness mods for. I never heard from him either, but his car is running so I guess all was well. I will add a wiring diagram for your use if you want it. I used a couple of Weather Tech connectors to keep everything with the MSD connections water tight.
Hope this can be some help,
Tom
Mikey914
We make all the connectors, so if you have a diagram you want to have made, we can do it.
Mark
914Greg
Thanks again for all for the help and especially the wiring diagran Tom, just looking at how the relay board works and what i need to run i will most likely just bypass it but will make my final decision after the car arrives and i can understand it all more clearly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.