Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RE: Is this the correct Fuel Pump for a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dominic
After looking at this auction, I noticed that the pump he is selling is the stock Fuel pump on all VW type 3, type 4 and 914-4's with F.I. He claims it will work on carbed 911's and 914-6 ?

I looked it up in the book of knowledge (Factory Parts Catalog) and it gives me two seperate part numbers:

For the 914-6.... 911.608.107.00 translates to Bosch part# 61309 (Bosch# 0 580 960 009)

For the 914-4..... 311.906.091 D translates to Bosch part # 61305 (Bosch # 0 580 463 005)

I didn't think that the carbs could work with this type of fuel pressure unless it's regulated to 5 psi ???? wacko.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7983259654&rd=1
SLITS
That is a stock DJet pump. If you used it with carbs without the Mallory? "return to tank" fuel pressure regulator (or even the stock one set to 5 psig), you would:

1. Turn your engine into a liquid gas pumping machine by overriding the float valves.

2. Prolly collapse the floats themselves from overpressurization

3. Have a hell of a fire if it started.

sad.gif
ClayPerrine
If you use that pump with carbs, let me know where you will be......

I want to bring marshmellows to roast!!! biggrin.gif lol2.gif
jonwatts
BTDT Clay?

bd1308
my new fuel pump clicks. it's really cool

click...click
Eddie Williams
Which Mallory FP regulator? I'd like to keep the return to tank setup, but use an after market pump, whats "the" setup?
SLITS
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Pro...471&prmenbr=361

or any Speed Shop

user posted image

This is the style, but it looks like the prices went sky high ohmy.gif ...I didn't pay over $40 for the one I got.

There are others who make the "return style" regulator.
Porsche Rescue
This story will likely create some debate, but...........
A car I once owned came to me with Webers and the stock 4 cyl FI pump. The pressure was regulated by a hose clamp on the line from the stock Djet pump, then the fuel entered a block with a guage and 2 lines out to each carb. If you look closely you can see the clamp in the picture below. It was a system provided by PMO (they do know carbs!). I couldn't believe it was safe after reading posts like those above (roasting marshmellows, etc) so I called PMO. I was told not to worry. The 30+ lbs of pressure in the FI fuel ring is created by the stock fuel pressure regulator. Remove the regulator and it is like removing your thumb from the end of a garden hose, pressure goes down. I used the system for the three years I owned the car with no problem. In fact I never loosened or tightened the hose clamp "regulator" because the gauge showed about 3 lbs and the carbs performed well.
Porsche Rescue
Might see it better in this pic
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jul 2 2005, 09:44 AM)
BTDT Clay?

Nope. Had the correct pump on Betty's car when the plastic line split at the firewall. It sprayed gasoline over hot engine and heat exchangers at freeway speed.

Worst thing you can do is watch your 914 burn. BTDT! Not gonna happen again.

I will NEVER own a 914 that I have not replaced the plastic lines with steel.

This is my opinion, but it's based on experience.... You are running on borrowed time if you leave the plastic fuel lines in your 914. You will have an engine fire.

SLITS
The hose clamp "acted" as a regulator, as most of the flow had to be returned to the tank.

In theory, you could use the stock DJet one. The fuel rail would be the lines to the carbs, but each carb would have a flow thru fitting. The line would run from the pump to the 1st carb, then to the second carb and finally to the pressure regulator. The line from the pressure regulator would "t" with the pump return port, just like the DJet. Hopefully it has sufficient adjustment to set your 3 - 5 psi.

In the case stated in the ad, if you ran the output of the pump to a "t" and then to each carb, the carb float bowls would see the full 30+ psi the pump is capable of.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.