Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heatshield Mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I recently did an engine drop and while I have my teener up in the air I decided to do the back side / underneath cleanup I've been meaning to do for a while -- removing decades old undercoating, looking for rust, generally cleaning up the nastiness that has accumulated (I swear, I'm amazed at just the level of plain dirt that stuck up under everything).

Anyway, to the topic at hand, this effort includes cleaning up the heatshield and the underside of trunk. Had to hacksaw off the mounts to remove the bugger, and I've removed most of the rust and welded in a couple of patches. It won't win any beauty contests, but it'll be miles better than before.

So, how to remount? Do I fabricate/recreate the mounts? But welding really isn't an option in that space. I gather -6's had these bolted from inside the trunk, correct (did they use the same standoff mounts)? Just looking for ideas for relatively easy mounting and removal for cleaning and maintenance, preferably with readily available hardware.

TIA. santa_smiley.gif
GregAmy
Any photos of what they're supposed to look like?

I mount stand-off heat shields for the race cars in a couple of ways. If the backside is blind I'll use small rivnuts for a threaded boss, then use a bolt from the front side with a spacer in between. If the backside is not blind and/or I need a flush-ish surface on the backside, I'll use a button-head cap screw through a hole and use a nut on the near side to secure it to the panel; then I'll use a spacer to stand that off.

If I need a truly flat(ter) surface on the backside, I'll use a machine screw that's available from Lowe's. Drawing a total blank on what it's called but it has a large flat-washer head with a square carriage screw underside. Drill the appropriate hole for the carriage screw to fall through then tack-MIG the screw in place. Used a ton of those to make an undertray/splitter...

Edit: "Elevator bolts": https://www.lowes.com/pl/Elevator-bolts-Bol...ware/4294710928

Punch through a panel and secure, makes a nice stud on the other side.

If you want to get really fancy, look into Click-Bond adhesive mount studs. Wicked cool stuff but $pendy...

https://www.clickbond.com/product-detail/he...y-bulkhead-stud
infraredcalvin
how about welding standoffs to body, undercoating treatment, then plug weld the heat shield to the mounts...
BeatNavy
Good ideas, thanks fellas. I like the idea of maybe welding studs, like those elevator bolts, on underside of trunk and using a spacer. Or maybe welding fabricated spacer tabs on (like original) but maybe riveting up from underneath.

Those Click Bond studs do look nice, but maybe overkill.
rgalla9146
rgalla9146
Fabricate six stand offs using the originals as a guide, then weld them to the heat
shield. Be sure to drill a hole in the top flange of each mount.
Hold the shield against the floor in the correct position.
Use a scratch awl to mark the position of each hole in the floor.
Attach with nuts and bolts or push-on clips and sheet metal screws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.