Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg914-6GT
I recently hit the forum up for help doing a valuation of my 914-6 race car. I was given lots of help, TC is going look at the car and help me price it.

Some people noticed in the picture of my car on display at PCNA in Atlanta , the Porsche Museum's 914-8. I was given access to the 914/8 and have some decent pictures to share. I started sharing them, but they were getting buried in my valuation post. So I will post a couple of pictured each day for all to enjoy.

I don't know why the photos get turned after I add them to my post...help

Greg Lowdermilk
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
DickSteinkamp
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

It looks like you are adding pics from your computer and not from an on line photo album. If so, view the pic you want to post in whatever viewer you use, resize it if necessary, orient it correctly (it may be already correct) then save it again...even if it was already oriented correctly. Then post it.

Keep the 8 pics coming!
KSCarrera
Click to view attachment

FYI, this is the engine from the silver car, which was wrongly said to be a detuned 908 engine. The photo was taken while I was at the museum in June 2017 when my friend Jen Torner from the archives had discovered the engine was in fact a prototype motor built before the 908 was finalised – a former worker at Zuffenhausen had given a whole file of paperwork to the archives, saying that he had worked on this car. In the paperwork was proof this was no 'ordinary' 908 motor (if such a thing exists!).

Sorry to butt in...
gms
I love to see the details, keep the pictures coming!!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 5 2019, 02:12 PM) *

I love to see the details, keep the pictures coming!!

agree.gif

Looks like it has 4 weber IDA 2 barrel carbs, what size are they?
Likely 48mm but Porsche had enough clout to special order any size.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Dec 5 2019, 02:32 AM) *

I recently hit the forum up for help doing a valuation of my 914-6 race car. I was given lots of help, TC is going look at the car and help me price it.

Some people noticed in the picture of my car on display at PCNA in Atlanta , the Porsche Museum's 914-8. I was given access to the 914/8 and have some decent pictures to share. I started sharing them, but they were getting buried in my valuation post. So I will post a couple of pictured each day for all to enjoy.

I don't know why the photos get turned after I add them to my post...help

Greg Lowdermilk
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. BTW, I'm kind of liking those turn signal lenses.
914Sixer
Turn signals finish out the form of the fender line, not making the end so abrupt.
Cairo94507
I really appreciate you posting the pictures. I also really like the front turns lenses. I think they fit the lines of the car much better. I wonder if they are still available..... beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Such a tremendous 914...why cheapen it with the cheesy hood label.
johnhora
Greg...
Thanks for all the pictures of the 914-8.
Please keep them coming.
We certainly appreciate the views of this car.
John
Greg914-6GT
I was out of town, so didn't add any pics. Here are a few more.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Is that an exhaust pipe for a gas heater ?
Love the photos ! so cool, any more ?
1970 Neun vierzehn
I always thought that the orange /8 had enlarged headlight covers concealing the "quad" headlights. The one photo showing the front, left turn signal lens and headlight cover appears to be a normal 914 single headlight cover confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 17 2019, 07:27 PM) *

I always thought that the orange /8 had enlarged headlight covers concealing the "quad" headlights. The one photo showing the front, left turn signal lens and headlight cover appears to be a normal 914 single headlight cover confused24.gif

The angled perspective fools you but it's a double.
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 17 2019, 04:14 PM) *

It's is the front of the left a-arm.
Greg914-6GT
Couple of more pictures Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Jett
keep the pictures coming!
johnhora
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Dec 18 2019, 07:32 PM) *

Greg...I think rgalla9146 means this pipe or tube at the red arrow...looks similar to an early 911 gas heater exhaust pipe...Thanks

Click to view attachment
Greg914-6GT
Couple more, sorry they come out rotated, I don’t have the time to fix em.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(johnhora @ Dec 18 2019, 06:56 PM) *

Greg...I think rgalla9146 means this pipe or tube at the red arrow...looks similar to an early 911 gas heater exhaust pipe...Thanks

Click to view attachment

Copy, I just added a photo of the front trunk interior, maybe that will give a better clue. I don’t know what it is.
JmuRiz
Is that sitting in the bay of a 2-post lift? Please tell me they lifted it to allow for full underside shots!!!
sixnotfour
must be under the tank ? idea.gif
johnhora
Greg...THANKS so much for the continuous picture display and don't worry about the sideways view...they come right side up when you click on them and the detail is great.

Check out the one headlight lift motor on the driver side and the cross bar (yellow arrow) to lift the passenger side headlight...used later in the 928
Maybe the gas heater parts via 356 at white arrow.

This is fascinating stuff...

Click to view attachment
Greg914-6GT
I'm heading out of town, so adding more pics today.

Happy Holiday and Merry Christmas. Hope you all are making plans to attend the PCA Werks Fest at Amelia Island on March 6, 2020. I'm registered to display both my 914-6 race cars. The highlighted car this year is the 914.

Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 19 2019, 07:38 AM) *

Is that sitting in the bay of a 2-post lift? Please tell me they lifted it to allow for full underside shots!!!

That lift is in the Classic Car Restoration area at PCNA in Atlanta. You are 100% correct they used four wheel dolly lifts. I actually have pictures of the car resting on the dollies. The pictures I took of the underside of the car were from the ground. The car was hidden away in a vault, I had access since my car was stored with it.
Greg914-6GT
There was an article done by a guy that drove the car years ago. He stated what the mileage was, and that he drove it 19 miles. The mileage on the odometer was 19 miles more than he had stated. That validates he drove it. The car was never started or driven while it was at PCNA. I'm signing off until 2020.

Thanks to those who fix my rotated uploads.

Greg914-6GT
QUOTE(johnhora @ Dec 19 2019, 01:01 PM) *

Greg...THANKS so much for the continuous picture display and don't worry about the sideways view...they come right side up when you click on them and the detail is great.

Check out the one headlight lift motor on the driver side and the cross bar (yellow arrow) to lift the passenger side headlight...used later in the 928
Maybe the gas heater parts via 356 at white arrow.

This is fascinating stuff...

Click to view attachment

The white bottles are fire suppression.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Dec 19 2019, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(johnhora @ Dec 18 2019, 06:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Copy, I just added a photo of the front trunk interior, maybe that will give a better clue. I don’t know what it is.

The silver tubular thing in the back of the front trunk is a gas heater.
Probably a Webasto. No heat exchangers on the eight cyl. exhausts.
What are the two tan upright tubular things in the front trunk ?
BMW 2002 locking gas cap.
Chi-town
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 6 2019, 12:54 PM) *

Isn't that sticker what the 911R and RSR had instead of an emblem? I don't think I woudl consider that "cheapening" the car laugh.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Dec 19 2019, 06:07 PM) *

Isn't that sticker what the 911R and RSR had instead of an emblem? I don't think I woudl consider that "cheapening" the car laugh.gif

Many of the factory racecars used the sticker instead of a true emblem.
Probably started after the 904
mepstein
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Dec 19 2019, 06:07 PM) *

Yes. I don’t think you can cheapen this car.
johnhora
rgalla9146...you found the gas heater...red arrow
which explains the pipe...gas heater exhaust pipe going under the front near the steering rack area

Click to view attachment

looks like maybe a eberspacher heater...some used on 356

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Someone please explain the engine picture in post #25
Gearshift linkage, distributor cap, 8cyl. valve cover, brake hose, e-brake sheath
whats is the perspective ?
Left is forward right ?
I think the pic is upside downand we're looking from in front of the pass. rear tire ?
Check the underside of the front hood. Like nothing else.
Greg914-6GT
Just jump to 7:47 to see the 914/8

https://youtu.be/rr5VUAxcd1o
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 20 2019, 12:57 PM) *

Someone please explain the engine picture in post #25
Gearshift linkage, distributor cap, 8cyl. valve cover, brake hose, e-brake sheath
whats is the perspective ?
Left is forward right ?
I think the pic is upside downand we're looking from in front of the pass. rear tire ?
Check the underside of the front hood. Like nothing else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.