Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The long drive east
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plas76targa
I posted about two weeks ago that "sadly" I would be moving east. Wife's job is taking us back "home". Well I finished Day 1 yesterday. Currently sitting in Wendover Utah. Today we head through SLC and onto Cheyenne, WY, then south to Denver. My cousin - the copilot - lives there. My dad meets us there and then it's off for Kansas City area, and then into Ohio. And finally Frederick MD

If anyone is near I-80 or I-70 look for the green Montana van pulling the Orange 914.

Eric - my cell phone wasn't picking up coverage accross NV yesterday - if you were trying to call sorry nothing was coming through.

So far the flat tow is working fine. Mark D built a tow bracket that smartly attaches to the torsion tubes. Mark can you post that Pic?

Sorry in the rush to leave I let the still camera go with my wife and kids who flew home yesterday. I intend to buy a cheapy cam and post a few pics once home in MD. The towbar set up is worth a post.

Wish us luck as we travel day two.
spare time toys
Fingers crossed for you.
Larry
McMark
Here you go Matt. Have a great trip. This little beauty may not look like much, but it's strong as hell.
Eric_Shea
Lunch here in another hour. I'll take some pics of the caravan.
neo914-6
Gilroy to Camarillo was a good "primer" for your distance trek. I'm sure there are lots of club members that you can rely on if necessary. Good luck Matt!
Doug Leggins
Good luck Matt!
redshift
Be safe rolling east, the traffic gets better, then it gets thick again.

smile.gif

M
Joe Bob
Watch out for Texas....big State....asshole cops....
Eric_Shea
There's doing great... we had a little mis-que in SLC but they're back on the road and the 914 is towing well.

Wife grabbed the camera but pics will follow later this afternoon.

No Tejas on this trip. They're plodding along through Wyoming right about now.
plas76targa
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and good wishes. So far, so good. Day 2: Made it safe and sound to Littleton, CO. Long day. Arrived about 11pm. But we did stop in Fort Collins for a steak dinner.

Mark, strong as hell is right so far, we've been pulling on that bar up to 75+ mph.

Good tail wind accross WY - avg fuel burn above 20 mpg. Not bad for all the stuff I'm carrying, 2 people, three cats. and about 750 lbs or more of trampoline, office stuff, tools, parts, cleaning supplies and anything else the moving company wouldn't take.

Dad is now my co-pilot. We're heading accross Rt 70 through Kansas tomorrow. Destination, Blue Springs MO.

Had a nice lunch with Eric and Seanery today. Thanks for taking the time to meet up. I'll keep you posted on our progress. This sight rocks !!
IronHillRestorations
I'm about 15 miles south of I-40, if you are going that route feel free to make a rest stop here. Good luck on your move!

PK
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 2 2005, 04:06 PM)
Watch out for Texas....big State....asshole cops....

TX is big, but it doesn't go quite as far north as I-70 ...
plas76targa
Day 3 complete, safe, wet, and sound in Blue Springs, MO.

I missed the above two posts, as I posted late Saturday night, and we were up and off first thing.. a well, as soon as possible, this morning. Another late start, made us arrive late in Missouri. Good day of driving, clouds started to look bad in mid to eastern KS. Rained good part of the last 3 hours of the trip. My poor, wet, 914.

I see in another post that the "Maryland chapter" has had an imprompu gathering. I,m peddling as fast as possible to get home by Tuesday.

Tomorrow we hope to be "outta here" early. Destination is Springfield, OH. We more than halfway home. Thanks for checking in on me!
xsboost90
OHIO! smilie_pokal.gif
plas76targa
Day 4 - made it to Springfield, OH.

Damn near didn't. Some fool on I -70 east - I think before Terra Haute, decided he needed to pull over. Only problem was his approach. This idiot decided to slow down to about 20 mph THEN pull onto the shoulder. I came barrelling up to him wondering why things "didn't" look right. About the time I realized the person behind him was struggling to change lanes I realized he was too slow, and I had to stop and FAST. I couldn't change lanes cause the crowd behind me absorbed that avenue. I was able to slow down enough and escaped to the shoulder to avoid anyone else behind me. Somehow they all scrambled into the left lane. I didn't stop but pulled back onto the highway once the idiot made his commitment to pull over. We were lucky we caught on to what was developing. Had anyone been going faster or following closer we wouldn't have made it throught that without some bent metal or worse.

Ok small rant over. MArk, I think we PUSHED on that bracket just a littel today! huh.gif Lesson to us all, jus be careful and do your best to be 100% alert.

An early start tomorrow will put us in Frederick by mid afternoon. Woo hoo! biggrin.gif
scotty914
another member and i will be in fredrick at condons ( auto salvage ) tomarrow, pm an address and we can try to stop by
Eric_Shea
Back to day 2. I finally got the camera back and got some of the pictures out of it.

Enjoy
Eric_Shea
The "beefy" bar...
Eric_Shea
Sean peering in to see just how much stuff you can cram into a 914
Eric_Shea
Sean and Matt... lying biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Top shot...
Eric_Shea
The proud owner (beautiful 72 BTW) smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
Rearview...
Eric_Shea
After they told enough tall tales they took some time to pose for the camera.

Thanks Matt. Thanks Sean. I had a great time. Have a safe trip!! beerchug.gif
plas76targa
[QUOTE]Sean and Matt 'lying'[QUOTE]

Ha, that's when I was telling Sean it once was an 'original six'

Eric - thanks for posting the pics. Proof I should keep my 914 club hat on!
scottb
matt, look forward to meeting you once you are settled in. have a safe last leg of the trip.

car looks great!

scott

PS: i too need to keep my hat on! (insert bald smiley) biggrin.gif
seanery
Matt,
I'm glad you had a safe trip! It was nice meeting you. Thanks for the chowtime.gif
Eric, it was nice seeing you again! beerchug.gif later this month?

I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.
plas76targa
MADE IT! Arrived in Frederick (Fred-neck for local Marylanders) about 4:15 PM.

What a trip! Folks, we have the most beautiful country. Even though my trip was a quick shot accross, i will always remember the great views up to Tahoe in California, the mountains and formations through Nevada, and Wyoming, The rockies on my right as the sun set, while traveling sout on I-25 between Cheyenne and Denver. The rolling plains of Kansas, and the farm fields through Missouri, Indiana and Ohio. The darned Appalachian Mtns with the never ending climbs up and coasting down. The thundershowers over the plains, and how the sky changed as we went from all blue in CA to the (unfortunate) haze and cloud cover on the east coast. I regret not having my still camera. I did take some video footage. Wish I'd had a camera mount and a remote on/off button.

Poor car was covered with 2800 miles of dirt and dust. Most of that was just rinsed off by a good thundershower. And WOW what gas milage, 2800+ on 16 gallons unsure.gif (I forgot to unhook the speedometer).

McMark - the tow bar survived fine. Good set up. I must take a few close ups underneath to show your design here. Give me some time to unpack the camera and PC.

The Montana pulled the 914 fine. Overall fuel used was 150 gallons at roughly 20.2 MPG. Not bad for a 3.4 liter V6 pulling about 2500 lbs and loaded with another 700 of people and schtuff. And the Porsche tracked great too. There were times I must admit I forgot it was back there.

Thanks to Eric and Sean for meeting us in SLC. If I hadn't been in such a hurry to cross I would have looked up more members to visit. I'm looking forward to getting settled into our house and getting out to some 914 gatherings and some autox too.

Thanks also to the California crowd of 914 owners many of whom I met before I bought this car and many others I met at breakfasts, WCC05, and even over some of McMark's famous burgers. I will miss you all but will enjoy communicating here. As someone mentioned earlier, I've only "moved".

This place, and our cars are great!

McMark
Glad to hear you're done! It's a LOOONG trip. Been there, done that. clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.