Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door lock help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
screenguy914
Need assistance with my passenger door before I tear into the door.

Able to lock/unlock from the inside and outside with the key
Interior and exterior door release handles operate

However, when locking with the key, it rotates only about 10 degrees, then stops. I should be satisfied, but I fear it might get worse.

Is this an issue with the key tumbler or with the exterior door handle mechanism?

Thanks
mepstein
Every tumbler I have taken apart is gummed up. Actually, every latch, lock, pull, winder, cable, etc is gummed up on these cars after 50 years. The best thing to do is clean and lube each part with a dry lube. 2nd best is to just lube it as a temporary measure until you can clean and lube properly.

The harder it is to operate, the more wear and tear you put on the parts.
76-914
Take the door card off and you'll be able to watch the lock mechanism move with a flash light. Mark mentioned the old grease in the switch but every part of the door latch mechanism need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned. There're write ups here detailing the procedure, IIRC. beerchug.gif
screenguy914
Thanks all for the direction.

Regards
Mark Henry
Just did this on the passenger side for a broken cam, a bit of a PITA if you have big mitts, but a fairly straight forward job.
I just did my passenger side, now it's obvious the left side needs doing as well. I found a better handle but I had to drill out the rivet and tap for an M6 bolt and swap the lockset. This handle already had a good original cam so I left it in and cleaned and lubed the rest. If you pull the lockset just take care that you don't let the wafers fall out. The lock mechanism does come out without removing other stuff, I had to turn it 180 around the window track, but it did sneak out. The old grease had mixed with dirt that turned it into cement.
Now it works and locks excellent and I don't have to worry about locking myself out.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 5 2019, 08:58 PM) *

Just did this on the passenger side for a broken cam, a bit of a PITA if you have big mitts, but a fairly straight forward job.
I just did my passenger side, now it's obvious the left side needs doing as well. I found a better handle but I had to drill out the rivet and tap for an M6 bolt and swap the lockset. This handle already had a good original cam so I left it in and cleaned and lubed the rest. If you pull the lockset just take care that you don't let the wafers fall out. The lock mechanism does come out without removing other stuff, I had to turn it 180 around the window track, but it did sneak out. The old grease had mixed with dirt that turned it into cement.
Now it works and locks excellent and I don't have to worry about locking myself out.

The wafers will stay in if you keep a key in the lock. Doesn’t even have to be the correct key, any Porsche key should work.
Rob-O
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 02:58 PM) *

Every tumbler I have taken apart is gummed up. Actually, every latch, lock, pull, winder, cable, etc is gummed up on these cars after 50 years. The best thing to do is clean and lube each part with a dry lube. 2nd best is to just lube it as a temporary measure until you can clean and lube properly.

The harder it is to operate, the more wear and tear you put on the parts.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 06:09 PM) *

The wafers will stay in if you keep a key in the lock. Doesn’t even have to be the correct key, any Porsche key should work.

Agreed! And correct!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2019, 08:09 PM) *

I have a 2000 Chevy Astro van. Yesterday l accidentally inserted my 914 ignition key in the van. It slipped in perfectly, but, of course, wouldn't turn. I thought what the hell, till l figured out i had the wrong key. After comparing the two keys, l found out they are almost identical. Going to see if l can rekey a lock cylinder to the Chevy key.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
my immediate call would be to clean the catching mechanism they get dirty and disallow the key from turning far enough to unlock or lock the door. Eventually the end of the lock cylinder breaks off from too much force exerted. Read all about it in the 914 "Tech Tips 700"
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Dec 5 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Need assistance with my passenger door before I tear into the door.

Able to lock/unlock from the inside and outside with the key
Interior and exterior door release handles operate

However, when locking with the key, it rotates only about 10 degrees, then stops. I should be satisfied, but I fear it might get worse.

Is this an issue with the key tumbler or with the exterior door handle mechanism?

Thanks

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.