Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN decoder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I’m looking at a 1976 912E and I can’t find a VIN decoder online that works with the older vintage cars.
Anyone have a way I can check a vin#
Thanks
bdstone914
https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/
tomh
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 5 2019, 04:35 PM) *

There is no search box on that site to enter the VIN
bdstone914
QUOTE(tomh @ Dec 5 2019, 07:11 PM) *

Read the info there.

There is not that much info to the ten digit VINs. What info are you trying to get ? The VIN will not tell the options of the car. Just the year and model and chassis number.

tomh
The question is color,it’s purple with white interior extremely clean and they claim it’s one of 2099.
Would be nice to know.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 5 2019, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(tomh @ Dec 5 2019, 07:11 PM) *

Read the info there.

There is not that much info to the ten digit VINs. What info are you trying to get ? The VIN will not tell the options of the car. Just the year and model and chassis number.

agree.gif
Some cases you may also be able to tell if it's an early or late of that years production number, but it doesn't tell you options, engine number, etc.
The 912 engine code for the '76 will be *406xxxx*, it's the only T4 without a letter prefix.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(tomh @ Dec 5 2019, 09:18 PM) *

The question is color,it’s purple with white interior extremely clean and they claim it’s one of 2099.
Would be nice to know.

Unless if it has documentation it's iffy that you even can tell that with a COA from Porsche. Paint code in the door jam will tell you if the body colour is correct.
Racer
Since the 912E was an entry level car so lowly powered, lowly optioned, lowly priced. Purple would have been a paint to sample special order option ($$$). Likely not an original color/paint example. Start poking in less likely places to spot the original color.

Most common colors were red, brown, silver, yellow, white and blue (per my experience). interiors were usually Tan (cork?), or black. As mentioned, VIN tells you model and build #. Options were not part of the vin. No underhood stickers either. Paint code on a tag in the door jam. 912E production was just 2099 examples.
DickSteinkamp
VINs as we know them today...with 17 characters that tell a lot about the vehicle...did not come into being until 1981. Until then, each manufacturer might have included some limited info in the sequential serial number, (like Porsche did) but many didn't.

Vehicle Identification Number
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer @ Dec 6 2019, 08:00 AM) *

Start poking in less likely places to spot the original color.

I agree, see if the curtains match the drapes...look at areas hard to paint without tearing it down to a bare tub or look for overspray. Under the dash is one of the first areas I'd look.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
here you go:

https://mvscusa.com/reports-2/nmvtis/
Al Meredith
my 912E is # 9126000265 it is silver with a red interior. If that helps
Al Meredith
The comment about he 912E in custom paint was seen at this years Parade . There was a 912E in the concours that was the most unusual yellow/ green color I've ever seen. I took pictures of it but in the bright Florida sun the color didn't do justice . Al
Mikey914
My 912E is Guards red with black interior, white headliner.

But does have a sunroof.

My research is that there were 2106 built. 500 with sunroof.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.