Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 78 years ago
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Dec 7, 1941. It's losing it's place in History. Another 10 years and we kids of that generation will also be gone. I was fortunate enough to meet an ex Luftwaffe pilot in Rancho Bernardo, CA a few years back. He was with Hitler when the attack was reported. He told me that Hitler was enraged with the Japanese at that moment for he knew that the balance of power had shifted as the Americans would enter WW 2. I might have doubted his story had there not been a pic of him with Hitler and Goering. He also was one of the few to have flown the Me 263. Remember all of our Vets but today remember those kids that died at Pearl Harbor. flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif flag.gif flag.gif
my uncle was there..
Mikey914
A day of Infamy that is slowly disappearing into the sunset.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
StratPlayer
Hard for me to forget, Dec. 7 1957, my younger brother got his left eye shot out with a bow an arrow, playing cowboys and indians.
Steve
My wife is named Pearl. She was born on December 7th and we were married September 11th 1993. At least I will never forget her birthday and our anniversary
Blue6
Kent, I certainly will never forget, and it has been passed on to my kids also. Not the Hollywood version, but the true historical significance of that day. We have also discussed at length, the 4 yrs of battles that followed...A great generation of selfless People.
mb911
The amazing thing is they really don't talk about today or 9/11 in middle or highschools.. Its crazy
bkrantz
One nice reminder is on the campus mall of the University of Arizona.
sixnotfour
flag.gif flag.gif
914-300Hemi
flag.gif flag.gif
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Dec 7 2019, 07:12 PM) *

One nice reminder is on the campus mall of the University of Arizona.

Nice memorial. Says a lot, without saying much.

Greg W.
djway
As a young boy I knew people from Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany. They all told me stories and gave warnings.
I am witnessing the rebirth of the stories told.

I won't forget, but sadly many have.
90quattrocoupe
Me, I never forget. My cousin Claude was on the hospital ship Solace at Pearl Harbor. He was training to be a Pharmacist Mate. Graduated High School 10 months months before and joined the Navy in Jan 1941. He was transferred to the Solace on 11/7/41. The Solace had the job of pulling the burned sailors out of the water, from the burning bunker fuel around the California.
In the picture below, it is the white ship on the left side of the picture, on the north tip of Ford Island.

Greg W.

IPB Image
Krieger
flag.gif
Rob-O
So weird to see the Arizona still alive and well in this picture.

I read that the belief is that this is a photo of the first bomb dropped.

Crazy to see all those white painted fuel depot tanks. I believe it’s generally accepted from battle historians that those tanks should’ve been a mission objective.
Krieger
I woke up today thinking about all the California automobile license plates that had Pearl Harbor Survivor printed on them. I remember seeing them frequently when I was a kid. Now, never.
Pursang
We had our flag flying on the front porch in remembrance of the day. My dad was there. He commanded a .50 caliber machine gun battery at Hickam Field and they were credited with shooting down one of only 29 enemy planes lost that day. Rest in peace Dad. We miss you.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Dec 8 2019, 08:35 AM) *

So weird to see the Arizona still alive and well in this picture.

I read that the belief is that this is a photo of the first bomb dropped.

Crazy to see all those white painted fuel depot tanks. I believe it’s generally accepted from battle historians that those tanks should’ve been a mission objective.

If they had taken out those tanks, we would have been out of the war for at least a year. Put a few subs between CA and HI, to sink tankers and we would have lost all those islands. We would not have been able to fuel the carriers.
Everything had to come from the mainland. Rebuilding the tanks and then bringing in the oil and gas. We would have been fighting for the eastern Pacific, instead of the central and western Pacific.
Whole different war.

Greg W.

BeatNavy
QUOTE(Pursang @ Dec 8 2019, 06:49 PM) *

We had our flag flying on the front porch in remembrance of the day. My dad was there. He commanded a .50 caliber machine gun battery at Hickam Field and they were credited with shooting down one of only 29 enemy planes lost that day. Rest in peace Dad. We miss you.

That's awesome family history. RIP to your dad.

I love history, particularly WWII. My son does too. My daughters have zero interest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.