Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bleed injection? Newby to FI and 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robson51
We removed and cleaned the fuel tank in my son's new to him 914. Also changed the fuel lines to stainless steel. Other than setting valves, nothing mechanical or electrical was done. Ran fine when parked a month ago.

He tried to start the car and nothing. I'm suspecting fuel, but I am new to fuel injection and don't know where to start, except to see that fuel is reaching the fuel pump. (I'm a webers on 912 guy)

Does the injection system have to be bled when it has been reduced to bone dry empty like this?

How is that done? A search of the threads has turned up nothing. This will be tomorrow's project.

Thanks-

Rob
dlee6204
No bleeding necessary. First I would check to see if you’re building fuel pressure. If not I would expect the fuel lines to have been crossed or a kinked line under the tank.
PanelBilly
Welcome to the group
BeatNavy
I agree, no bleeding required. Which FI is this? 914's stock FI was either D-Jet (1.7 and 2.0 liter cars) or L-Jet (1.8). While they are very similar in many ways, there are unique aspects to each that need to be understood. It can also help us help you troubleshoot.

FI is not hard to understand and it works great -- but all the little pieces need to be there and working properly. Sometimes that is hard on a 45+ year old car.
TheCabinetmaker
Fuel lines in engine bay are crossed
Chris914n6
You should be able to cycle the fuel pump a few times and hear burping in the tank.
Robson51
Thanks everyone! It's a '74 2.0. I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what happens!

Rob
Specracer
The reason you dont need to bleed is that there is a return path, self bleeding.

My story, I have a 1.7, the PO moved the 3 port pump up to the front. Before the year or so restoration I have been doing, I got the car running in this configuration. Fast forward to some period of time during reassembly, I re plumed, the 3 port (all new lines), wont run. Note when I got the car initially running, I took the pump apart, cleaned it, and even bench tested and ran it. I have no idea what happened to the 3 port, during the year of sitting, but I cut my losses and switched to a new 2 port, re plumed, and now it runs again.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 8 2019, 12:12 AM) *

Thanks everyone! It's a '74 2.0. I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what happens!

Rob

Cool, we'll assume it's D-Jet then. Although your issue right now may be as simple as crossed fuel lines as suggested, you may want to start reading to get up to speed on your FI. This is a very helpful resource: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

Good luck beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Specracer @ Dec 8 2019, 04:33 AM) *

The reason you dont need to bleed is that there is a return path, self bleeding.

My story, I have a 1.7, the PO moved the 3 port pump up to the front. Before the year or so restoration I have been doing, I got the car running in this configuration. Fast forward to some period of time during reassembly, I re plumed, the 3 port (all new lines), wont run. Note when I got the car initially running, I took the pump apart, cleaned it, and even bench tested and ran it. I have no idea what happened to the 3 port, during the year of sitting, but I cut my losses and switched to a new 2 port, re plumed, and now it runs again.

I recently picked up a recently used 3 port from a member. Did a quick test to verify it worked before putting it on the shelf and it was stuck. A few minutes of switching leads got it free. Evidently our wonderful ethanol blended gas gummed up the works as part of it evaporated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.