Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only slightly OT: spray carpet die can be really handy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have to admit I was very skeptical before having actually tried this, but I have to say it’s exceeded my expectations.

This is the 1984 928 that sat badly stored outside in Tustin for 18 years before I rescued it. It only had 74,000 miles on it, so the materials were not worn out they were just a bit dirty and sun faded. After cleaning the carpet surfaces really well but gently and allowing it to dry I brushed it with a stiff nylon brush. After that I sprayed a very light coat of die and then immediately worked it in with the same brush.

I expect there may be disagreement on this but for my daily driver use this is perfectly acceptable. Well worth the $16 can and some elbow grease.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Amazing product, I used it on a badly discolored center deposit box. Looked like new smile.gif
RickS
I use it on my bald spot.
Tdskip
Ha!
Mikey914
In areas like the rear hatch carpet I have used on my 944. I tried on my floor carpets, the passenger held up well, but the drivers started showing wear again fairly quickly.
But for the price, yes worth it!
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 9 2019, 09:41 PM) *

In areas like the rear hatch carpet I have used on my 944. I tried on my floor carpets, the passenger held up well, but the drivers started showing wear again fairly quickly.
But for the price, yes worth it!

Clean and vac over and over it works fine,if you don't clean the carpet its a waste of time IMO.
aj88cab
I have used liquid Rit Fabric die, with good results. Used a pump spray bottle for in car carpet applications. Mixed about 4 parts water to 1 part dye (that stuff is concentrated!). I use a brush to work it in and/or massage it in with nitrile gloves in those hard to reach spots. Takes a day in the hot sun to dry completely, but for a cheap SOB like me, it beats a $20 rattle can. As noted, a clean carpet is key for good & lasting results.

I have also used it in a big plastic tub for recoloring original factory floor mats, if they are not all worn out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.