Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where did the oil go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
It's been a few weeks and I haven't done much to the SIX until today. I put about 10-12qt's of oil in it a few weeks ago......and the tank is empty? wacko.gif

Also, I did notice the engine was turing over much slower when I was trying to start it last, I thought it was the battery. unsure.gif unsure.gif

I put two more qts in today and I'll see how this goes.

Cheers wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

Rusty
Could still be the battery. Check with a voltmeter.

Check the oil on a /6 with the motor running, at operating temp. It's a dry sump system, so the oil has to be pumped back into the oil tank for you to check it.

If you have no evidence of a leak, odds are the oil drained into the case.

-L
Joe Bob
You have probably over filled now.... blink.gif

Best bet is to start it up and get it to temp...i.e., when the oil thermostat opens....and check the oil level while running and on level ground. If it's too high you run the risk of sucking oil in thru the breather into the carbs....that is if you have carbs and a the breather is hooked up....if FI with larger than stock motor..your throttle body will suffer the same fate.

Result will be you will kill every mosquito in 3 miles and foul your plugs.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jul 2 2005, 03:30 PM)
It's been a few weeks and I haven't done much to the SIX until today. I put about 10-12qt's of oil in it a few weeks ago......and the tank is empty?

*days* is long enough for the oil to drain back through the scavenge pump into the sump. after weeks, definitely...

you should be prepared for dealing with an engine that is at least 3-5 qts overfull; it'll probably get kicked back through the breathers in short order... (nominal fill for a 6 with no front cooler is 9 liters...)
redshift
You are over filled enough to change the oil on my car.

Maybe we can work something out.

M
smg914
I don't know anything about your 914-6. Does it have a stock oil tank? If so it should only need 9.5 quarts of oil even with a filter change. I'm sure you know that you have to check the oil with the engine running at operating temperature and the RPM's at about 2000. When the engine sits for a long period of time a lot of the oil in the tank drains back into the engine but as soon as you start the engine the oil will circulate back into the tank.
Kerrys914
headbang.gif

Mybad.. I didnt' think all 9qts of oil would drain back into the engine wacko.gif I new some would not it all.

Thanks, now I need to get some out.
Kerry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.