Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another bastardized 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooler
Howdy ya'll
I just thought I'd come out and see if there was any interest in what I'm working on.
hope you get the pics
AZBanks
No Pics!

Ban HIM!!!!!

jk
SirAndy
QUOTE(cooler @ Dec 11 2019, 10:03 AM) *
hope you get the pics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637

shades.gif
cooler
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2019, 10:12 AM) *

hope you get the pics

shades.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
hate to say it, but actually in laguna blue does not look that bad!

QUOTE(cooler @ Dec 11 2019, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2019, 10:12 AM) *

hope you get the pics

shades.gif

Steve
I do like it!!
Miata meets GT?
confused24.gif
cooler
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 11 2019, 11:18 AM) *

I do like it!!
Miata meets GT?
confused24.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 11 2019, 11:18 AM) *
Miata meets GT?

GiaTa ???

unsure.gif

914Sixer
Put some Porsche Fuchs on it, might look a whole lot better. Needs something to identify as a Porsche.
cooler
Thank You
It is the original paint (except fenders and bumpers).
Engine: 4.2L Audi v8 ABZ
Trans: Boxster 6 speed
Axles: 996
Hubs: 951
Struts: 911
Calipers/Rotors: Boxster/996
Wheels: 996 Fiske 18x9.5 / 18x11.5
Radiator: GT40
jim_hoyland
Nice smile.gif Fuchs, yes
Retroracer
Can you post some detail on hitching the ABZ to the Boxster tranny? Not a common engine choice for these cars, so it would be great to see what issues come up and how your solve them.

Welcome to the world!

- Tony
Andyrew
Your gonna fit right in here:)

More details on the 4.2 swap! Always wanted to try that one.

<Built 1.8t swap

Thunderchief
That's a sweet set up mechanically. As far as the front end, it's unconventional which will piss off the purists but I like that it's different. I'm working on my car that I just picked up which has a slant nose too.
73-914
Fuchs Fuchs always with the Fuchs
cooler
Thanks Retroracer, I thought you would never ask. I picked the Audi ABZ because it is very short and shares the same basic bolt pattern with the 996 trans. so no adapter is required. Audi engines are also cheep, mine was $700 complete. By the way, the BoxsterS (986) 6 speed and 996 trans are basically the same except the crown gears are flipped.
The timing belt covers, on the front of the engine are about 1/4" from the fire wall, just behind your shoulders. The driveshafts line up directly inline with the wheels, nice.
What has scared most from this combination is the starter. The Audi starter is at 5 o'clock. The 986S starter is at 12 o'clock, problem. The 987S is also at 5 o'clock, no problem. I have the early 986S trans. I solved that problem by using a modified 986 starter and a custom spacer/adapter and a little notch in the belhousing to clear the starter gear (no nose cone on 986 starter).
The motor mounts on the Audi ABZ line up adjacent to the trailing arm axle pick up points. I am fabricating a crossmember to pick up the motor mounts and attach to the training arm axle pick up points c/w diagonal bracing. Trans mounts also do not line up so I'm fabricating a small subframe.
The Audi ABZ throttle body hangs 90 degrees off the rear of the engine. The intake manifold is reversible with some minor mods. but doesn't really help because there isn't room at the firewall for the throttle body anyway. So, the sheet metal bulkhead between the engine compartment and the trunk needs modification to clear the throttle body. I made the whole rear bulkhead removable to make access to engine through the trunk easy. The throttle body (and auxiliary idle valve) is also too high to fit under the roof when stored in the trunk. So the I'm clocking the throttle body (rotating the inlet manifold down) and running the auxiliary idle valve remotely. I will send pics.
cooler
The front bumper is actually '74 911 RS fiberglass replica (AIR) modified to fit the 914. You would not believe how close it matches. Of course the fenders are trimmed front and back for the 911 styled bumpers.
cooler
Yes, I here you Fuchs, Fuchs, Fuchs. When it rolls under it own power I'll order 18" replicas. OK?
jmitro
looks great; we need more pics.
what happened to the rear decklid?
sixnotfour
beer3.gif
sixnotfour
I call mine REDRUM...not gonna happen with baby blue...I like it... beerchug.gif
cali914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 11 2019, 01:41 PM) *

Nice smile.gif Fuchs, yes

DITTO beerchug.gif
76-914
Another Butcher here. I'd like some pics of the engine bay showing the mods or fabrication needed for your engine and trans mounts. biggrin.gif Don't worry about the slant nose comments. In fact that may keep a lot of the peanut gallery entertained while you defile the car. lol-2.gif Lots of people here that will moan if you change anything on these cars. confused24.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
looks 100 percent better than this monstrosity Click to view attachment
Jett
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 12 2019, 08:10 AM) *

smile.gif In the 80’s the look was cool, but now you should put a car cover over it smile.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 12 2019, 09:10 AM) *

cooler, It looks good. We need more pics including some of the engine/trans etc.

George, pull the horrible wing and louver/hatch off that thing and paint the sail panel to match the rest of the car and it will look much better.
Or if you hate it that much, ship it out to me and I'll fix it right up.
cooler
More pictures. The real struggle with engine fitment has been the throttle body and associated appendages.

Photos attached show removable panel between the engine compartment and the trunk. The one photo shows the engine/trans assembly, note the highest thing, that's the auxiliary idle valve. It is removed and will be located remotely. The throttle body is still too high to clear so it is clocked down. By this I mean the elbow connecting the throttle body to the intake manifold is rotated down.
In one of the photos you will notice a C shaped piece of hardboard. This will be constructed of 1/4" 6061 plate, bolts to the intake and bolts to the elbow allowing throttle body to be clocked, make sense? All this nonsense just so I can put the roof in the trunk!

Sorry about the slope nose thing. I have just always loved the look of the 935 and the '74 911 RS. Honestly I'm not completely satisfied with the front bumper and plan to create something that looks more 914 but very molded.

I will send more photos of like engine mounts. anything else?
burton73
QUOTE(cooler @ Dec 11 2019, 12:52 PM) *

Thank You
It is the original paint (except fenders and bumpers).
Engine: 4.2L Audi v8 ABZ
Trans: Boxster 6 speed
Axles: 996
Hubs: 951
Struts: 911
Calipers/Rotors: Boxster/996
Wheels: 996 Fiske 18x9.5 / 18x11.5
Radiator: GT40

welcome.png

Would love to see the all the water cool goodness on this baby.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Bob B
dcheek
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 12 2019, 08:10 AM) *

That looks like Dick Fell's car. Put a boatload of money into it. While it's not my cup of tea, he did do a good job. I'm sure he lost his shirt on it. By the way he was a big time track guy in the PCA. Had a race prepared 911 that he tracked for years. He's too old to race now and comes to mostly social events in the club. Super nice guy. I've known him for 40 plus years.

Dave
90quattrocoupe
So I am running a similar 32V Audi motor in my Coupe Quattro. I like the motor. Good low end torque.
That aside, how are you going to run your water hoses off the front of the motor? I know I have a clearance problem in my coupe, yours is worse.
Are you running the power steering and alternator in the stock locations? Is there an option for a higher 6th gear in the trans you are using? I am running a .56 6th gear in my 01E, to get the cruising rpms down.

Greg W.
jmitro
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 11 2019, 09:06 PM) *

I call mine REDRUM...not gonna happen with baby blue...I like it... beerchug.gif

sorry "cooler" for the hijack, but man this red 914 looks great with those deep dish wheels. Are those epsilons?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 12 2019, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 11 2019, 09:06 PM) *

sorry "cooler" for the hijack, but man this red 914 looks great with those deep dish wheels. Are those epsilons?

yes, but they have been reconfigured....Thanks
Andyrew
Love it so far! The rear firewall work is awesome, that’s one of my next steps.
rick 918-S
Nice Project welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif

assimilate.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=7725&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.