Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing window scraper seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barefoot
Got Mickey's newest door outer window scraper seals but can't install them with the rear trim pice installed. no amount of pushing/ pulling / colorful language will get the end caps off, even though the tiny retaining screws came out easily. Can't push the seals in vertically , they seem to have to slide in from the back edge.
Do I have to take the door cards or the rear glass sliders off first ???

I know i had installed earlier 914 rubber scrapers on before it went to the body shop, but can't get there anymore, old age ??
914werke
there is a screw retaining the end cap on the INSIDE of the door, through the vertical track
rhodyguy
The Chanel stripping may be hiding the screw.
jmitro
FWIW, I managed to install my window scrapers both ways - left side I pushed into the groove from the top. Right side I slid all the way from rear to front with a few dabs of soap to reduce friction.
barefoot
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 12 2019, 09:06 PM) *

FWIW, I managed to install my window scrapers both ways - left side I pushed into the groove from the top. Right side I slid all the way from rear to front with a few dabs of soap to reduce friction.

Followed your lead and forced them in from the top. Had to start the very forward edge in, then used a rolling pin like tool to force seals into groove, took some colorful language to accomplish !
barefoot
mb911
Just did this last weekend.. I just moved the cap to the side and slide into the channel.. I used wd-40 as a little lube.. Also note everything was brand new from 914 rubber so that helped..
Mikey914
You can stretch the rubber by pulling it to help press it in. This is the easiest method. beer3.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 15 2019, 11:49 AM) *

You can stretch the rubber by pulling it to help press it in. This is the easiest method. beer3.gif

Yes that worked for me with your parts,I then bunched it back up to allow for the rubber relaxing back...it worked as I have no gaps after fitting them a while back.
Good part works well,my old ones had gone really hard and worn.
FlacaProductions
I did the new 914Rubber fuzzy-lined scrapers recently - slid in easily from the edge but I did use a little IPC P-80 Emulsion Temporary Assembly and Pump Seal Lubricant. Easy. Just like @porschetub - bunched them up - waiting for them to settle in and then i'll trim if/as necessary.
Mikey914
Honestly, it's amazing how many ways some parts can be installed. I have customers that call me and one guy took a bamboo kitchen "scraper" for lace of a better term.
Kind of like a spoon but flat angled bottom. He sanded it flat, lubed the track and was popping it on but taking a mallet and wacking it into the channel. His problem was that it wasn't evenly installed. It had bunched up making one section pushed high enough up that he couldn't get it to go in.

It's easy to judge, but to him it made perfect sense. I do credit him with his inventiveness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.