Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid gas strut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I know this has been done before, but wanted to show off what i did today.

I bought these off amazon
Apexstone 45N/10lb 10 inch
Gas strut

Did a rough install with sheet metal screws
IPB Image
IPB Image

Once the placement was correct, i welded the brackets to the engine lid and firewall
IPB Image
IPB Image

The 10 lbs strut is just enough to slow down the engine lid and its still very easy to close the engine lid. Short video of it in action

Video
sixnotfour
resize 650x,,,
tvdinnerbythepool
@turnaround89 this is cool!

Does this stop the lip from slamming open, i'm guessing?
ndfrigi
Looks like you still have the original spring that makes the lid open quickly. Some members don’t have the spring or totally removed them and did use that type of strut. And also if you remove original spring, the tention to the hinges will be lessen and will not easily break the hinges, which is a common issue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
That's different way of mounting it. thumb3d.gif
Mine's on the lid, it doesn't lift the lid, but it pops up enough that I can lift it by hand and then it stays up. I removed the cross bar so it wouldn't work for me from that side without twisting the lid.
turnaround89
I left the torsion springs on as it helps lift the lid when you open the latch, but the strut puts enough resistance into the system to stop it from slamming into the targa bar.

Do the torsion springs break the engine lid hinge or the hinge bracket? I had to replace my hinge brackets due to the previous owner doing a terrible job fixing them that the engine lod didnt fit properly.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Dec 14 2019, 09:47 AM) *

I left the torsion springs on as it helps lift the lid when you open the latch, but the strut puts enough resistance into the system to stop it from slamming into the targa bar.

Do the torsion springs break the engine lid hinge or the hinge bracket? I had to replace my hinge brackets due to the previous owner doing a terrible job fixing them that the engine lod didnt fit properly.

well mostly call it hinge but I think it should be bracket.

Click to view attachment
turnaround89
Ahh, understood. Thanks for clarifying. I welded the new brackets on pretty well so im expecting them to last a while. Hopefully the strut will help make them last even longer.
porschetub
Why fit a strut to a simple system like this that works fine..don't see the point,my rear lid was on struts and they failed,removed them and use a bloom handle,not like I'am going in there too often.
Mark Henry
It's only the gt lid that needs this, they slam into the targa bar if you forget to put your hand on it when opening.
My lid has the crossbar cut out and likely won't sit flat with the stock springs. I like how it works now.
brcacti
I use one hand on the pull knob and one on the lid to "CATCH IT" smile.gif
ClayPerrine
My personal opinion.. this is a solution in search of a problem.
lierofox
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 15 2019, 04:35 AM) *

It's only the gt lid that needs this, they slam into the targa bar if you forget to put your hand on it when opening.
My lid has the crossbar cut out and likely won't sit flat with the stock springs. I like how it works now.

Hell I have the standard engine lid on mine, rain tray and all, even has a center stop light mounted on it, and it'll still smack the targa bar if I don't catch it.
FlacaProductions
Pulling the release with your left land while you have the right hand out to catch the lid is like a 914 owners secret handshake....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.