Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ground straps?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robson51
I know how important the ground straps are in my 912, but on the 914, I can't find any! Usually between engine and body, right? Starter labors a bit and made me wonder....

Perhaps removed by PO? Where are they supposed to be?

Thanks-

Rob
BeatNavy
Should be one bolted from rear of tranny to a stud on the underside of the trunk. There are other grounds of course but that’s the one from engine/tranny to body. It can be a little hard to see as it’s right over the top of the gearbox.
SirAndy
IPB Image

bye1.gif
Superhawk996
This ground strap is VERY IMPORTANT.

If you don't have this ground strap between the body and the transmission, your clutch cable becomes the ground. Over time it will lead to the clutch cable failure.

It will lead to all sorts of intermittent ground issues and poor starting performance.
Robson51
Thanks!
brcacti
I just recently put a new one on, work from the very back of the car, hard to get to. Not easy to unbolt but can be done. I got mine from napa auto store, kept the old one as people on here said soak it in lemon juice for one day good as new. Also sanded the battery ground to body
windforfun
Clean all the high current grounds.
Mark Henry
Often damaged or broken by a PO who forgot to undo it when dropping the engine/trans.
ClayPerrine
I put a second one on the 4.0. It hooks to the right front corner of the RH cam carrier, and the other end hooks to the same post as the negative battery cable.

I still have the one at the back hooked to the trans.

The other two 914s have the stock ground cable, although Frody doesn't have it hooked to the stud. It stripped off the threads years ago. It is hooked to the bolt that holds the transmission mount to the body. The other end is hooked to the transmission.

porschetub
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 16 2019, 02:55 PM) *

I put a second one on the 4.0. It hooks to the right front corner of the RH cam carrier, and the other end hooks to the same post as the negative battery cable.

I still have the one at the back hooked to the trans.

The other two 914s have the stock ground cable, although Frody doesn't have it hooked to the stud. It stripped off the threads years ago. It is hooked to the bolt that holds the transmission mount to the body. The other end is hooked to the transmission.

Good idea, I have a second one to fit when I change to my 930 valve covers,was going to mount on one stud and the go to the body but haven't decided on location exactly.
I learnt about bad earths years ago on old VW's,my first bus was 6V and it had all sorts of gremlins,cleaned up all area's and even added some new ones,what a difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.