Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just arrived the perfect driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
In these times where the value of 914s has become so high as to be unreasonable, and too many fussy concours types have entered the arena restoring 914s to such a level that they are un drivable, it is so nice to see one that can actually be driven but is still nice enough for a fairly picky 914 guy like me:

1975 914 zambezi green with buckskin 1.8, original paint never rusted or crashed, gut plenty of original patina 122 thousand miles: some nicks and dings, dash cracked, first gear scratches, rear springs are sagging a bit, needs some shifter bushings, but just runs so great with the 1.8 afc fuel injection and heavier bumpers that make it feel more stable. The blaupunkt am fm isn't bad either! My new driver! NOW I do not need to worry about a door ding

More 914s like this encourage people to drive them every day and not put them away under flannel car covers.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
altitude411
*sigh* spam.gif
KELTY360
Wish I had a 1.8 with heavy bumpers to make it feel stable.

I’d give up that go kart feeling in heartbeat. confused24.gif

Who are you trying to fool?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you have ever driven a 75 76 down the interstate and then one of the earlier ones, you will instantly know the difference

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 21 2019, 12:17 PM) *

KELTY360
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 21 2019, 12:28 PM) *

If you have ever driven a 75 76 down the interstate and then one of the earlier ones, you will instantly know the difference

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 21 2019, 12:17 PM) *

I have and I call bs.gif The only time I’ve heard this is when someone was trying to sell me a load stromberg.gif
rhodyguy
Headed south. IBTL.
RAX914
What’s the story with the tail light lense?

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
As it's your new driver it really needs a A+ used dash top out of your stash. Nothing too 'new' looking. What's behind the rockers?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The original dash only has one crack in it so adds patina to the car. Came with one of those new reproduction Stoddard factory look dashes, but am not going to install it. The rockers and jack posts are as clean as can be but the previous owner removed the original steel covers because they were dented, so I am going to paint two and install steel covers again. Just a few things to make the car better while keeping the patina.

If anyone has driven a fuel injected 1.8 they know that they are much smoother than the old MPC 1.7 and 2.0 systems and MUCH less complicated.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 21 2019, 01:16 PM) *

As it's your new driver it really needs a A+ used dash top out of your stash. Nothing too 'new' looking. What's behind the rockers?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
the car next to the green one is in for some body work correction. Some one in north carolina painted it and paid no attention to panel fit. Evidently the quarter panel was replaced years ago with a new one but not fitted correctly. We see this a lot with 914s.

QUOTE(RAX914 @ Dec 21 2019, 01:09 PM) *

What’s the story with the tail light lense?

Click to view attachment
altitude411
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 21 2019, 01:44 PM) *

The original dash only has one crack in it so adds patina to the car.

confused24.gif So which crack is the "stock" one again?? I always forget...

Incredible Find...

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 21 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Incredible Find...

av-943.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
always starts above the ashtray as you can see in the picture, then the others start as the one over to the right of the main one.

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Dec 21 2019, 01:55 PM) *

Incredible Find...

Click to view attachment
fiacra
Congratulations George! I have a 1973 2.0 that I drive frequently that was modified for AX (before I got it) and a fully stock 1975 1.8 as well. They both drive quite differently, and both are a lot of fun in different ways. The 1975 definitely feels more stable on the freeway. Couldn't agree more with your observations. Again, congratulations on your new car and thanks for sharing it with us. Sorry that others can't contain their animus...
KELTY360
Slap a little lipstick on that crack.....it will look good as new.
GaroldShaffer
My 73 2.0L daily driver. Looks good from 30ft away, but up close it has a blemish or two. Just put snow tires on. Has great heat and has working AC for those really muggy Chicagoland late summer days.

It is my year round driver wub.gif

TheCabinetmaker
Just more bullshit!
Coondog
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Dec 21 2019, 10:42 AM'
In these times where the value of 914s has become so high as to be unreasonable, and too many fussy concours types have entered the arena restoring 914s to such a level that they are undrivable

What a ridiculous statement.....
brcacti
I keep mine as a driver part time going to work and back with one stop sometimes. Work part time 5 days a week, will drive to work 1-2 times each week only in good weather, no rain or wet streets, does not snow here. If I have to park it, it is far from the other cars.
Sprout
Looks like a great driver-quality car. Someone would be proud to own it, drive it and enjoy it. Once anyone invests $40k plus in a full resto, you can bet it won’t be a daily driver. I agree about the extra weight of the bumpers giving a nicer ride. It’s like when I have sandbags in my truck in the winter, it smoothes out the ride.
Rand

Dr. redefining patina. And the second crack. Just put some clear coat on it to preserve the crack, um I mean patina. wacko.gif

Doc, patina doesn't apply to everything.
jagalyn
@altitude411 and @kelty360 comments seem mean spirited.

Some go through life tearing others down thinking it elevates them. They can't see how foolish this makes them seem.
And then others pile on...

Doesn't make sense to me.
BENBRO02
Thanks for sharing George. I never realized my 75 1.8 is more stable on the interstate because of the weight of the bumpers. I may have to rethink their replacement with fiberglass units.
Coondog
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 22 2019, 05:49 PM) *

Thanks for sharing George. I never realized my 75 1.8 is more stable on the interstate because of the weight of the bumpers. I may have to rethink their replacement with fiberglass units.

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif ”More Stable”
I have back dated three 914s and the only thing I noticed was my car looked 100% better.
altitude411
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Dec 22 2019, 06:26 PM) *

Some go through life tearing others down thinking it elevates them. They can't see how foolish this makes them seem.

@jagalyn

Jeff, I know you are and a big AA supporter, I'm sorry your web site is no longer supported but...

This isn't high school or the Disney channel(all animals do not dance arm in arm). It's a car forum. George is advertising cars that he has for sale by posting this bullshit in the garage forum. I am tired of his relentless insidious postings. I am not trying to "elevate myself" by any means. Just calling out a charlatan for what he is. You obviously haven't been swindled by this shyster as yet so your opinion of him is different than mine. For that I am happy for you. Other than that, if you have a problem with any of my posts, please send me a PM and we can discuss my foolishness in private or over the phone if you prefer. The people that are "piling on" as stated by you, are others that have been lied to or cheated by the self appointed Dr. Do-little. I sincerely hope this makes sense to you.Thanks for the couch time. beerchug.gif
volksaddict
I like big bumpers i cannot lie bootyshake.gif
KELTY360

Thanks for the psych 101 analysis of my motivation. I hope it feeds your sense of superiority. You did miss one little facet of my posting....fatigue. I’m tired of being lied to. I’m having to go through life in an era when lies are just alternate facts and I can’t even escape to a cherished car forum to avoid it. I resent that and I’m not shy about calling out a blatant practitioner.

Btw, would you consider a crack in the dash of your pristine survivor as just a little patina?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
So I have our dent man coming today. It is amazing what those guys can do while of COURSE preserving the original finish.

Beyond being one of the worst of the 914 concourse weenies, I really would like to see more 914s driven on a regular basis while still being meticulously maintained.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
taking the dents out of the original paintClick to view attachment
Craigers17
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 23 2019, 11:21 AM) *

Thanks for the psych 101 analysis of my motivation. I hope it feeds your sense of superiority. You did miss one little facet of my posting....fatigue. I’m tired of being lied to. I’m having to go through life in an era when lies are just alternate facts and I can’t even escape to a cherished car forum to avoid it. I resent that and I’m not shy about calling out a blatant practitioner.

Btw, would you consider a crack in the dash of your pristine survivor as just a little patina?

I suspect this is one reason for the above post. As usual, instead of just following the rules and posting a classified ad for a used car, the good doc tries to create a vibe by posting BS about this being his new daily driver. He is correctly called out for his BS by the gentleman above....probably because his M.O. is getting so tired and obvious.

Only days later, said vehicle can be found on cargurus FOR SALE....as was implied would happen. I can't 100% guarantee this is the same car because he never gave us the VIN in his original post, but I would bet my paycheck. And, AS USUAL, it is purposely advertised with only 12,983 miles on it instead of 122K which he admitted to on this site to more savvy viewers. He did the exact same thing on the yellow car that he originally claimed had 15K on it, even after he knew it had over 150K.

So, I don't normally go to such lengths to discredit someone, but sometimes you literally have to prove what's going on by providing actual facts and follow up on the claims and actions of our modern day ringmasters and charlatans. This is especially true when Admins intervene and stop threads because someone is getting shit on. All I can say to that, is if you're the guy doing most the shit slinging, don't be surprised if you get a little fecal matter on your own shirt. I've included a link to the cargurus ad...no picture yet.

http://cargur.us/ykrTv

Hope the link works.

EdwardBlume
Peeps who drive their 914s daily are bad ass.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly gives one confidence to drive a 914 that has not been rusted.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
sure a bit rough on the outside, most people like a good looking exterior and would rather have that than good bones, unfortunately. But to me no substitute for original factory finish even if a bit "blemished"Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 30 2019, 03:11 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 23 2019, 11:21 AM) *

I suspect this is one reason for the above post. As usual, instead of just following the rules and posting a classified ad for a used car, the good doc tries to create a vibe by posting BS about this being his new daily driver. He is correctly called out for his BS by the gentleman above....probably because his M.O. is getting so tired and obvious.

Only days later, said vehicle can be found on cargurus FOR SALE....as was implied would happen. I can't 100% guarantee this is the same car because he never gave us the VIN in his original post, but I would bet my paycheck. And, AS USUAL, it is purposely advertised with only 12,983 miles on it instead of 122K which he admitted to on this site to more savvy viewers. He did the exact same thing on the yellow car that he originally claimed had 15K on it, even after he knew it had over 150K.

So, I don't normally go to such lengths to discredit someone, but sometimes you literally have to prove what's going on by providing actual facts and follow up on the claims and actions of our modern day ringmasters and charlatans. This is especially true when Admins intervene and stop threads because someone is getting shit on. All I can say to that, is if you're the guy doing most the shit slinging, don't be surprised if you get a little fecal matter on your own shirt. I've included a link to the cargurus ad...no picture yet.

http://cargur.us/ykrTv

Hope the link works.

Gotta love it. The quack at Auto Atlanta has the perfect driver listed with an automatic trans. That link is priceless for all those who don’t understand shady business. Thanks for turning over the stone and shedding light on a slithering truth.
rhodyguy
What a BUNCH of NEGATIVE D.B.s! NEVER swing at the 'high cheese'! Alternate facts. I'll put my crystal ball back in the closet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.