Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: synthetic oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Someone I know has a small 2002 beamer and a 2015 camaro, he says he uses synthetic oil only changes once per year. He says it wont break down like other oils. Would love to hear all of your opinions on this. Is synthetic oil only for the newer cars?
Superhawk996
Oh boy. . . . now you've done it. popcorn[1].gif
sholman5
Let the games begin. beer3.gif
JFJ914
I use the Driven DT 50, doesn't leak all over.
JawjaPorsche
Our teeners need a high zinc content oil.
thelogo
Forget aircooled if you put it in a 914 your a clown

I change my own oil but not on the 914

But water pumper s
Can go extended periods between changes when you have the right synthetic.

You should check bobistheoilguy
It will blow your mind

But i never exceed 4500 miles oci / between oil change
Because trying to push 10k mlies plus presents many issues
1. Filter may or may not be up to 10k oci .so whats the point then
2. Oil level may go low unnoticed. As you think your good for 10k oci
3.sludge may form if the car is not brought to temp ofte. Enough( short trips)
4. Timing chain may fail prematurely because it needs lubrication and 10k oci may not keep it happy
5.if you drive like a old lady you may be ok but if you use it for severe duty or performance driving. The oil will deteriorate quicker
6. Your not really saving more then a couple of bucks ? Maybe? Doing 10k oci
7. I think mpg will start to suffer after 5k miles without oil change

smoke.gif

Shout out to the cheap sob
BENBRO02
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 22 2019, 07:54 PM) *

But water pumper s

It will blow your mind

4. Timing chain may fail prematurely because it needs lubrication and 10k oci may not keep it happy
5.if you drive like a old lady you may be ok but if you use it for severe duty or performance driving. The oil will deteriorate quicker

smoke.gif

Driven DT50 is a synthetic with high ZDDP that was specifically developed for our aircooled engines. Jake Raby helped develop it. I just bought 12 quarts but haven't tried it yet.
Coondog
QUOTE(brcacti @ Dec 22 2019, 03:26 PM) *

Someone I know has a small 2002 beamer and a 2015 camaro, he says he uses synthetic oil only changes once per year. He says it wont break down like other oils. Would love to hear all of your opinions on this. Is synthetic oil only for the newer cars?

Just use Castrol 20w/50 and you will be fine and have more money in your pocket.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2019, 09:20 PM) *

Just use Castrol 20w/50 and you will be fine and have more money in your pocket.

Will the engine turn over when it's 20°F with Castrol 20w/50?
IronHillRestorations
I always recommend a high zinc oil for air cooled engines with solid lifters, as most "regular" oil doesn't have enough ZDDP to prevent premature cam/lifter wear. Valvoline VR1 is usually easy to find and has an appropriate level of zinc, but Drive DT50 is formulated for air cooled engines with solid lifters.

Rotella, Delo, and other oils designed for diesel engines have enough zinc, but there's detergent and additives that could be detrimental to our air cooled engines.

Use a high ZDDP oil and change it every 4k miles or at least once a year, before you put your car up for the winter
Coondog
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 22 2019, 06:27 PM) *

He lives in Phoenix..... poke.gif
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 22 2019, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 22 2019, 06:27 PM) *

He lives in Phoenix..... poke.gif

Great point. I had to look up Phoenix temperatures.
Big Len
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 22 2019, 08:54 PM) *

But water pumper s

It will blow your mind

smoke.gif

Clown? Really?
Driven DT50, made for A/cooled Porsche's, is a synthetic. Amsoil, ZRod high zinc oil is a synthetic. Brad Penn is a synthetic blend.
Give an opinion but try to not come off like an ass.
thelogo
QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 22 2019, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 22 2019, 08:54 PM) *

But water pumper s

It will blow your mind

smoke.gif

Clown? Really?
Driven DT50, made for A/cooled Porsche's, is a synthetic. Amsoil, ZRod high zinc oil is a synthetic. Brad Penn is a synthetic blend.
Give an opinion but try to not come off like an ass.

Sorry i meant if you use over the counter synthetic oil

beer3.gif
Front yard mechanic
I'm a cheap sob I use Walmart 20 50 and add 1 oz of zinc additive works great for 15.00 and I can pick up some cheese puffs while I'm there
IronHillRestorations
Here's all you need to know:

Pelican oil thread

Pelican ultimate oil thread

It's your car, you can use maple syrup if you want, but I'll stick with what I believe to be the best biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no synthetic in a 914 unless you want oil leaks

QUOTE(brcacti @ Dec 22 2019, 04:26 PM) *

injunmort
I don't use synthetics in air cooled engines. I wont pay up for gibbs, driven or brad penn. vr1 available at flaps and been using it for 25 plus year in my aircooleds, never a problem. cant argue with Wal-Mart 20-50 plus zddp additive though. the oil gets change so frequently in these cars and drivers are not subjected to extreme operation, it makes eco sense. I buy vr1 when there is sale at flaps and done with it. castrol 20-50 is a great sub for vr1 in a pinch.
brcacti
THANK YOU SO MUCH guys, the former owners used castrol 30w like the owners manual says so I think I will stick with it BUT I did have some additional questions for those who would like to answer them. I did write down the DT50 with the high ZDDP in case I ever want to change.
I am in a high heat zone between PHX and Tucson, AZ so I only drive it in 6 winter/fall/spring months when dry and mornings are over 32F. Don't drive it in summer heat 5-6 months but start it up once weekly in cool mornings. I'm 66 and drive like an old lady for the fun factor and blast from the past factor. I am guessing 2500-3000 miles per year short trips to work and back. A couple of questions are does the castrol 30 have zinc in it? Should I change the oil before I use it for the 6 months or after I use it for the 6 months?
djway
I have a high top VW bus with a T4 and have run nothing but synthetic. Had it over 5 years and not a leak yet. Run it in all my AirCooled. Depends on how well they were put together.
Risoline has a ZDDP additive for $10.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.