Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manifold runner and plenum l-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Finished last 1.8 carbed motor and shipped of to new owner a while back,my next build is a 96mm 411 block with L- jet,I have assembled all the parts to make sure fit is ok and to stocktake any parts needed for the build.
One thing I noticed was the inlet manifolds don't line up very well with the plenum with everything bolted down,can't see that they could be bent ,one side is better than the other,is this normal?.
TIA
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like you might have 2L runners?
porschetub
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Dec 25 2019, 08:30 AM) *

Thanks Curt,will check the part numbers,sold to me as a complete system from 1.8 but worth checking for sure,cheers.
JamesM
Should be a straight shot to the plenum

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
@porschetub
@TheCabinetmaker
post='2772191' date='Dec 25 2019, 08:30 AM']
[/quote]
Thanks Curt,will check the part numbers,sold to me as a complete system from 1.8 but worth checking for sure,cheers.
[/quote]

2.0 runners will not fit the three stud heads.
Can you post a picture? 1.7 runners are smaller in diameter. Not sure what the problem is.
porschetub
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Dec 25 2019, 10:02 PM' post='2772267']
@porschetub
@TheCabinetmaker
[/quote]
[/quote]

Can you post a picture? 1.7 runners are smaller in diameter. Not sure what the problem is.
[/quote]

Thanks Bruce ,I have 1.7 914 FI heads so as you mention that can't be 2.0 runners and they certainly aren't from a 1.7.
Think I know the issue here will get back when I know for sure,cheers.
bdstone914
@porschetub date='Dec 25 2019, 12:47 PM' post='2772355']
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Dec 25 2019, 10:02 PM' post='2772267']
@porschetub
@TheCabinetmaker
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Bruce ,I have 1.7 914 FI heads so as you mention that can't be 2.0 runners and they certainly aren't from a 1.7.
Think I know the issue here will get back when I know for sure,cheers.
[/quote]

DOD you install the thick spacers between the heads and runners?
ClayPerrine
I looked at the picture in detail.

1. You don't have 2.0 heads. I can see they use 4 bolts for the intake. So it is
probably 1.8 intake runners.
2. You have a L-jet plenum, throttle body, cold start valve, and Aux air regulator.
But you have 2.0 D-Jet injectors, D-Jet fuel pressure regulator, and a D-Jet
harness.
3. You have an aftermarket distributor (probably an 009) with no vacuum advance
and no trigger points.
4. The boot coming off the throttle body is not a 914 part. Probably from a VW bus.

5. The heads are 1.8L heads. they have 4 studs on the intake and no head vents.

This mixed bag of injection parts cannot be made to work together. You need to decide which injection (D-Jet 1.7, D-Jet 2.0 or L-Jet) you want to use and put the correct parts on for it.
JamesM
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 27 2019, 06:38 AM) *

I looked at the picture in detail.

1. You don't have 2.0 heads. I can see they use 4 bolts for the intake. So it is
probably 1.8 intake runners.
2. You have a L-jet plenum, throttle body, cold start valve, and Aux air regulator.
But you have 2.0 D-Jet injectors, D-Jet fuel pressure regulator, and a D-Jet
harness.
3. You have an aftermarket distributor (probably an 009) with no vacuum advance
and no trigger points.
4. The boot coming off the throttle body is not a 914 part. Probably from a VW bus.

5. The heads are 1.8L heads. they have 4 studs on the intake and no head vents.

This mixed bag of injection parts cannot be made to work together. You need to decide which injection (D-Jet 1.7, D-Jet 2.0 or L-Jet) you want to use and put the correct parts on for it.

Are you referring to my picture? I only posted it to show the OP how 1.8 runners should align with the plenum. OP is the one with the issue here, my motor in the picture has been running fine and spinning to 7000rpm for about 5 years now. I know exactly what is on there and chose every individual component to meet my specific needs, the combination of parts is no accident. You will just have to trust that i know what i am doing. smile.gif

To clarify some points though:

The motor is a 2056 with custom heads.
The runners and plenum are 74 1.8 l-jet
The injectors are 2.0 d-jet
The cold start valve is unused. (completely removed and blocked off after this picture was taken)
The throttle body isnt l-jet, both it and the intake boot are late 2.1 vanagon
The distributor is aftermarket, as is the 36-1 crank trigger wheel you cant see.

This bag of mixed parts not only works, it absolutely humiliates all stock 914s, 6s included.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.