Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting the Clutch Pedal Stop AND the Clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silver six
This is a continuation of a discussion I've had with Brad that I thought would be useful to go public with.

There are two basic clutch adjustments, the pedal stop, and the clutch cable itself.

Pedal Stop.The pedal stop controls where the pedal ends its arc, i.e., how far apart the clutch and the flyweel separate.

Clutch CableThe clutch cable adjustment, however, uses two 11mm nuts at the end of your clutch cable, to control the length of the cable and thus controls the begining or the "engagement" part of the clutch.

If the pedal stop is too far back (too close to the driver) then the clutch will not completely separate and you will get grinding gears. If the clutch adjustment cable is too tight, you won't get complete and forceful mating between the clutch disc and the flywheel. Of course if the clutch cable is too loose you will also get grinding, just like the pedal stop problem.

The PointSo here is my issue. I want to adjust the pedal stop back toward me so that my clutch pedal travel is limited and allows me to move my seat back a little which allows me to read my guages and gives me a more comfortable arm reach to the steering wheel. In moving the pedal stop back, I have to tighten up the clutch cable so that I achive complete separation of the clutch disc and the flywheel. But I do not want to tighten it up so much that the clutch disc and the flywheel no longer mate and engage with proper force.

Brad has offered to make this adjustment for me but I sort of want to know for my own sake (and so I can do it in the future) how this is properly done.

What's the best way for doing this, and how much travel do I need in the pedal after that point where the clutch has clearly engaged?

Douglas
Demick
Just to complicate things even more - don't forget that the clutch pedal height is adjustable independent of these other adjustments. Look at the clutch pedal where it screws into the pedal cluster - it is threaded and held in place with a jam nut. So you can change the height of the clutch pedal too. I believe that changing this affects the clutch stop as well.

Demick
'74 2.0
silver six
Demick,

Good point. Correct me if I'm wrong but petal height adjustment you are talking about really just adjusts the pedal, more or less, up and down vertically when measured pressed all the way in, from the pedal stop. Is that true? That's what it seems like. Would it be fair to say that taller people like the pedal adjusted lower and shorter people like the pedal adjusted higher, or do you think it's the other way around.

Figuring out how body geometry meets car geometry is complicated.

Douglas
john rogers
What is important to the clutch cable is the amount of rotation of the pedal on the pivot as you have figured out already as this is what moves the cable. When I changed mine, I measured the number of degrees of stock travel before I did any adjusting and then make sure the total is the same after the make changes. I moved my seat back since I have an adapter and quick release on my steeering wheel and wanted to move the race seat back some. I made an aluminum floor board and the top edge of the slot at the clutch pedal acts as the stop, which I can hear during a race when I press the pedal quickly. Good luck
Brad Roberts
The aftermarket floor boards SUCK. They are not thick enough to get the proper adustment on the throttle stop screw. You end up with 2 threads holding your stock plastic screw in place. The wood is what ?? 1/4 inch thick ?? The makers of the floorboards didnt factor that in. They should have built a spacer for the throttle stop and the clutch pedal stop.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.