Sheesh - really?
Coondog
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 26 2019, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 26 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Most users ever online was 9,401 on Dec 19 2019, 02:10 AM

Hackers running a mild DDoS attack ...
dry.gif

I had to look that one up..... type.gif

DDoS is short for Distributed Denial of Service. DDoS is a type of DOS attack where multiple compromised systems, which are often infected with a Trojan, are used to target a single system causing a Denial of Service (DoS) attack.
RickS
Satans soldiers strike again. No Xmas for them!
Krieger
Thanks Andy! beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Unfortunately that kinda crap - port scans, 'dictionary' password attacks etc. - happens continuously on internet-connected devices. The first time looking at server/firewall logs can be really eye-opening for the unfamiliar...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Dec 27 2019, 02:56 AM) *

Unfortunately that kinda crap - port scans, 'dictionary' password attacks etc. - happens continuously on internet-connected devices. The first time looking at server/firewall logs can be really eye-opening for the unfamiliar...

Watching the logs for the public facing mail gateway is a real eye opener too. More than 45% of all emails are SPAM and even more carry some form of malware. I used to manage an email system for a large public hospital. Watching a real time display of the logs (tailing the logs in geek speak) can be both fascinating and hypnotic at times.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 26 2019, 07:12 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 26 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Most users ever online was 9,401 on Dec 19 2019, 02:10 AM

Hackers running a mild DDoS attack ...
dry.gif

Those Assholes might possibly rejuvenate the USPS. beerchug.gif
914forme
Wow Clay your numbers are low, we only process 2% of e-mail, rest gets dropped, and even then I still get people complaining about receiving SPAM.

So what I used to do was pull up the logs and let them know how many SPAM e-mails they got in the last 24hrs, and in order to help use reduce the rates, please allow me to send all of them to you. You mark them as Spam or not, and then let me know.

confused24.gif Never had anyone take me up on that offer. confused24.gif

DDOS attacks are a dime a dozen, and literally cost pennies to get some one to fire one up. Students try and use them all the time against us, try to knock out the testing systems. Give them credit for trying. Not sure why they would pay a few bucks to try and miss a test, when they could just send a crappy tweet, and run the risk of becoming an FBI visit recipient.

When I retire I might have to write a book of all the stupid shiz students do electronically. From bulling to translated bomb threats, I have seen and tracked down all of them. shades.gif But I will say some of the adults have really freaked me out, and I have had several occasions I did not want to do the research to see if the offense occurred on our equipment.

SirAndy
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 28 2019, 04:31 PM) *
DDOS attacks are a dime a dozen, and literally cost pennies to get some one to fire one up. Students try and use them all the time against us, try to knock out the testing systems. Give them credit for trying. Not sure why they would pay a few bucks to try and miss a test, when they could just send a crappy tweet, and run the risk of becoming an FBI visit recipient.

These are no students. These are coordinated attacks from thousands of hijacked devices from all over the world.

The hackers are probing servers to find a weak target and then try to leverage their attacks to hold a server ransom and extort real world money in exchange for stopping the attack.

We've been through this before ...
dry.gif

Rand
There are no ddos atacks here. oof. try and figure this out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.