Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMO Carburetor help needed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
defianty
Some of you may have seen my build thread where I mentioned I stripped down my PMO's for a good clean. Sitting around for a couple of years with remnants of old fuel in didn't do them any favours.

Now all clean and back together I'm having an issue I can't find a solution to and I need help.

So with everything installed back on the car and connected correctly - when the car starts it instantly idles at 4,000rpm+ rather scary! So it's switched off immediately.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the idle adjustment screws, the throttle linkage or the accelerator cable - they're all disconnected.

Yesterday whilst trying to troubleshoot further I confirmed the fuel pressure is correct at 3.5psi from the PMO fuel regulator so I thought I could rule that out. However when I then tried to recheck the timing with the fuel pump disconnected the car fired up and straight away and idled at 900rpm fairly smoothly with the fuel in the bowls and continued to run well until the fuel ran out. Fuel pump back on - bowls filled - restarted and back to a 4,000rpm idle.

Any suggestions welcome!
Mark Henry
I don't know the PMO's, but did the float level shims change or are the float gross valves sticking open?
Look for fuel overflowing and spilling into the throats with the pump on.

If it is you've likely messed up the float level (shims), the valve(s) is sticking or maybe the top gasket is catching on the float mechanism.
wndsrfr
It's an air leak to be going 4000...disconnect throttle linkage first... if is still fast use a propane torch (not burning) to probe around carb base and pivot shafts to find possible leak location...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would call Richard Parr at PMO and speak with him. Good guy and the best to troubleshoot
defianty
Thanks guys.

I'll investigate further tomorrow and see if I can find anything.

However as strange as it sounds I think it could have been a starter motor/ wiring issue. Something odd happened today and the car idle jumped up after idling smoothly for about five minutes. As the idle raised quickly I heard a not very pleasant sound followed by black smoke from the starter?

I really don't know what happened yet but I'll report back my findings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.