Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - 73' Ignition cylinder complete or parts - Parts FOUND!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Superhawk996
I can't seem to find a part on this car that was left unmolested.

In need of new Ignition key parts. Will consider individual parts only if it comes to that but would prefer a complete key cylinder and column lock assembly (unmolested) with a OEM key if at all possible. Will pay fair price.

Ignition key has always been flaky from the day I bought this car.

Disassembly shows why.

Click to view attachment

1) Key is not orginal - only God knows how many re-cuts this is. This key does fit the Doors, and rear trunk though and works well with those lock cylinders

2) Ignition cylinder shows many signs of prior owner attacks both exterior and interior. Vice Grip marks as always a giveaway that someone had no idea how to properly disassemble these.

3) lock cylinder wafers don't sit flush to cylinder anymore - either worn or not fitted properly at previous attack.

4) Non-OEM key is too long and hits the roll pin.

Click to view attachment

5) the hole that the roll pin goes though was previously re-drilled off-axis. Probably as some means to try to fix #4 problem?

6) the bezel that the cylinder rotates in has notches work into it from the wafers not stitting flush and then hanging up as the key was turned.

Click to view attachment

7) random bits of key and/or lock metal shavings clogging things up from years of wear and abuse.
914werke
I believe i have one let me check
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 28 2019, 12:55 PM) *

I believe i have one let me check

Rich,

I think I have a freebie pending so don't kill yourself trying to find one.
KevinW
e-mail sent
FlacaProductions
That's crazy - looks like a 944 key to me...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 28 2019, 07:26 PM) *

That's crazy - looks like a 944 key to me...

The absurdities of this car continue to amaze me. The key never seemed right but it would clearly unlock the ignition cylinder and work most of the time with some fiddling.

I could pull the key out of the ignition from either the Start or ON position. It wobbled and never seemed to fully insert.

Now we know why. Cause it was hitting the roll pin and not inserting fully.

What is better yet is that whoever did this crap, they re-keyed the cylinder so that it would work with the key only partially inserted. av-943.gif Oh the Sh#t people did to these cars headbang.gif

Big thanks to Kevin for parts. We'll get this fixed right.
TheCabinetmaker
I should have one with a new key
Superhawk996
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Dec 29 2019, 02:46 PM) *

I should have one with a new key

@TheCabinetmaker
Kevin's got me covered -- Thank you though! This community is awsome!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.