Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injector mystery and manual recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robson51
In the process of running down one thing after another, took the ‘74 2.0 out for a drive. Had a miss, so pulled the plugs. This car has spent a lot of the last 9 years sitting, so gas tank has been cleaned and fuel lines changed.

#2 showed where a plug wire was barely attached which was quickly fixed, but the #3 plug was white. I mean really white. Like zero fuel lean.

After looking at the connection to the injector, I saw the boot was ripped and the connection was pretty dirty, so I took i apart and sprayed electrical cleaner in it

Drove it a couple miles, still had a miss, but when I pulled the #3 plug now it was black. Did I wake something up?

Pulling the engine soon to fix oil leaks, so is it worth it to pull all the injectors and get them rebuilt? I have no idea what’s going on here.

On another note, what’s the best manual for a 914 2.0?

TIA

Rob
76-914
QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 29 2019, 07:01 PM) *

In the process of running down one thing after another, took the ‘74 2.0 out for a drive. Had a miss, so pulled the plugs. This car has spent a lot of the last 9 years sitting, so gas tank has been cleaned and fuel lines changed.

#2 showed where a plug wire was barely attached which was quickly fixed, but the #3 plug was white. I mean really white. Like zero fuel lean.

After looking at the connection to the injector, I saw the boot was ripped and the connection was pretty dirty, so I took i apart and sprayed electrical cleaner in it

Drove it a couple miles, still had a miss, but when I pulled the #3 plug now it was black. Did I wake something up?

Pulling the engine soon to fix oil leaks, so is it worth it to pull all the injectors and get them rebuilt? I have no idea what’s going on here.

TIA

Rob

It was probably alright when white. Black says it ain't firing well. Get a noid lite tester to check that your getting current to the injector. Less than $10. beerchug.gif
Robson51
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 29 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 29 2019, 07:01 PM) *

TIA

Rob

It was probably alright when white. Black says it ain't firing well. Get a noid lite tester to check that your getting current to the injector. Less than $10. beerchug.gif

Never heard of a Noid light but just bought one off Amazon-thanks for the tip.

This plug was so white it scared me....
mankowski
After you check for a short to #3 injector that might explain the change from lean to rich, it's probably a good idea to have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned after sitting for 9 years.

I use the Haynes manual and Tech Tips from Atlanta Automobile - they both have unique strengths.

rhodyguy
If you want to service the injectors 'Witch Hunter' is located in Duval.
Robson51
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 29 2019, 09:01 PM) *

Thanks-

That’s where I’m sending them. A little frustrating that they don’t take drop offs-they’re only a couple miles from me.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 30 2019, 02:07 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 29 2019, 09:01 PM) *

Thanks-

That’s where I’m sending them. A little frustrating that they don’t take drop offs-they’re only a couple miles from me.

Don’t forget Mr. Injector if you have to send anyway. Provides the same services and looks to be less expensive to boot if this local Witch Hunter company can’t seem to figure out how to provide basic customer service to a local customer.

Mr Injector has done injectors for many on this site. No charge for those he can’t save. Ive had 11 questionable ones done with good flow rates on 8 and no charge on the 3 bad ones. Had 4 CIS injectors done too but unfortunately all were bad. Again no charge.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you have checked the compression and valve adjust and know that there are no top end noises (like a loose valve guide) I would start the car and let it idle, pulling one spark plug lead from the distributor cap at a time to localize the miss. THEN check the plug to see if it is sparking. If it is sparking, put a noid light in the injector lead to see if it is getting a signal. If it is switch injector leads. If not look at the ground leads at the back of the block. If you have misfire on diagonal cylinders, check the trigger points. That should be a good start

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 29 2019, 08:01 PM) *

TIA

Rob

dr914@autoatlanta.com
start with the haynes manual, then get the factory manual on cd
Robson51
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 30 2019, 07:43 AM) *

If you have checked the compression and valve adjust and know that there are no top end noises (like a loose valve guide) I would start the car and let it idle, pulling one spark plug lead from the distributor cap at a time to localize the miss. THEN check the plug to see if it is sparking. If it is sparking, put a noid light in the injector lead to see if it is getting a signal. If it is switch injector leads. If not look at the ground leads at the back of the block. If you have misfire on diagonal cylinders, check the trigger points. That should be a good start

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 29 2019, 08:01 PM) *

TIA

Rob

Thanks! Have had compression checked and adjusted valves. This is a good way for me to start to figure it out. If it wasn't for that one plug being so white, I would have bet this was ignition related.
914Sixer
Check the injection harness, most are brittle and cracked from heat. Usually have high joints in them.
Robson51
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 30 2019, 01:26 PM) *

Check the injection harness, most are brittle and cracked from heat. Usually have high joints in them.

I see that a total replacement harness is about $500. Has anyone used the replacement fuel injector leads to repair their existing harness? I was a bit surprised at how dirty the connection was at the injector.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we repair them all of the time, solder and heat shrink, the harness usually always can be repaired rather than replaced, although Jeff Bowlsby makes a beautiful reproduction.

QUOTE(Robson51 @ Dec 31 2019, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 30 2019, 01:26 PM) *

I see that a total replacement harness is about $500. Has anyone used the replacement fuel injector leads to repair their existing harness? I was a bit surprised at how dirty the connection was at the injector.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.