Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who should paint my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
xsurfer
I'm investigating painting my car, 71 stock six. 80k original miles
been in garage for 12 years or so. (I forgot when I bought it)

Looking for painter in So. Ca. Please comment on the value of
paint. I have no clue for cost of 914 paint.
Tdskip
QUOTE(xsurfer @ Dec 30 2019, 09:54 AM) *

Entirely depends on what the goal is and how much work you out into it.

Show quality paint in SoCal is $7500+, driver quality if you strip could be $1,500.

What are your intentions / goals for the car? If it is a real 914/6 you have some headroom....
Superhawk996
If it is a stock six, are you absolutely sure it needs paint?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

There is a lot of re-hab that can be done just with a buffer if done by a knowledgable professional.

Paint is only stock once. Make sure it can't be saved before you paint.
Cairo94507
Stock '71 Six.... as far as I am concerned, and look at my thread, Part 2, Kent Simmons is your man. He is in Torrance, CA which meets your geographical need too. If you want to talk more about all that entails, reach out to me in a PM please. Cheers,
Michael beerchug.gif
twistedstang
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Dec 30 2019, 11:42 AM) *

If it is a stock six, are you absolutely sure it needs paint?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

There is a lot of re-hab that can be done just with a buffer if done by a knowledgable professional.

Paint is only stock once. Make sure it can't be saved before you paint.

This 100%
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(xsurfer @ Dec 30 2019, 06:54 AM) *

It is going to depend on how much of the car you want painted (engine out, jambs, inside of trunks, etc), how much body work, correction of old body work, and rust repair is needed (ALL need at least some...usually more than you think), How much disassembly is required and how much you can do yourself, If the car needs to be stripped of old failing paint first, the number of primer coats (I recommend 2...block, body work and rust repair, primer, block, final body work, primer, block, sealer, color) type of paint (metallic, base/clear, single stage).

I paint my cars myself and have never spent under $1,500 for materials (sandpaper, masking supplies, filler, primer, sealer, color, clear, reducers, hardners). A quality complete paint job on a 914 with minimal rust repair and body work needed would take me about 200 hours. Shop rates are generally $100/hour.

With a good paint job you will find you need to have your chrome and other trim redone or it will look like heck against the new paint...even if it looks great now.

You can go cheaper, but the first time you park next to a car with a nice paint job you'll be sorry.
Coondog
agree.gif
You get what you pay for. It’s all about the work that’s put in before and after the primer is sprayed on. I also agree with a prior post. Get it looked at first. It’s amazing what can be polished out these days.
thelogo
The guy you want is on irwindale ave

About 2 blocks south of the Budweiser factory.

A.b.c auto body i think its called .

Its not your regular body shop. These guys are serious about it .
You deal with the owner and no b.s

But if its a legit /6 i would either not paint it at all
Or completely strip it nut and bolt. Rotessiore etc
Send out body for paint and then reassemble.
Notthing inbetween but thats just me .
xsurfer
THANKS TO ALL!

Yes it's a real six with 80k miles on it.

I should have mentioned that the car was repainted by previous owner
many years ago. Been in my garage for over ten years. The repaint is a
lesser quality. I've had a professional polisher look at it years ago however
the cost of polishing was too expensive for the result.

I may sell the car as is.

Thanks again.

Gene
mlindner
Mine was engine out, all disassembled and on a dolly. Paided $10,000, painter even wanted more. I would sell as is, give the new buyer the choice of colors if it should be stripped to bare metal etc. Best, Mark
Cairo94507
I agree if you are going to sell it, sell it as is and let the new owner decide the level of quality they want on their new car. Whatever you pay to paint it will not correlate to the selling price you get. I would rather buy one and make those calls myself (I did). GLWTS. beerchug.gif
Jett
Do you have pictures of the car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.