Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on this rotor + pad kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
winbig123
Hi there all! I am brand new to this world and just purchased a '74 914, 1.8L. Right off the bat, I need to tighten the parking break, fix a carb vacuum leak, tighten clutch cable and improve breaking.

I plan on bleeding the breaks and cleaning them up in general. I also came upon this kit and seems like a decent deal. From what I read, I should stick to the OEM calipers so this is just rotors and pads.

https://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotors/p...ASABEgK1dfD_BwE

Thoughts on this? Is there a kit out there that is more proven in this forum? I am all ears and pumped to dive in!
rhodyguy
Has your car been converted to 5 lug? Try PMB (member vendor forum) or pmbperformance.com. Easier to get the CORRECT items the first time. They will know EXACTLY what you're going to need. Far less time consuming.
mepstein
You don’t usually want drilled rotors for the street.
Agree, PMB Performance is the right place to shop.
winbig123
Ok, thanks. I checked out their sites and it looks like maybe rebuilding the OEM calipers, confirming rotors are good, changing the brake fluid, and some quality pads might be the best way to go. Thanks!
brant
buy good pads.
you may not even need rotors

but buy expensive portefield pads from PMB

you won't regret it
pads make all the difference with these light weight cars

dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, seems much like overkill

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2019, 12:55 PM) *

You don’t usually want drilled rotors for the street.
Agree, PMB Performance is the right place to shop.

GeorgeRud
Click to view attachment

The rebuilt calipers from PMB really are works of art and great folks to work with. They’ve done several for me with a quick turnaround time if desired to have yours rebuilt, or have rebuilt ones available to ship with a core charge.

BTW, the Chicago Region of PCA is extremely active. You might want to check them out as there are several 914 enthusiasts among the membership. You also have one of the best 914 shops in the Midwest with 914Ltd. (Brad Mayeur), and a great source of used parts from 914 Ecology (Garold Shaffer)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.