Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shims for swivel feets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Hey,

So what size shim for the rocker stands when doing the 1.7 rocker 911 swivel foot change over?

anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

b.
Aaron Cox
i thought that the rockers were decked .060 so you didnt need to shim the base of the assembly

AA
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (brer @ Jul 2 2005, 08:34 PM)
Hey,

So what size shim for the rocker stands when doing the 1.7 rocker 911 swivel foot change over?

anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

b.

You will need to take .060 of the swivel side of the rocker so there will be enough room for adjustment. Shimming the rocker stands is needed for setting rocker Geo
brer
I bolted one of the rockers on and found that when the assembly was tightened up there was no longer any room for adjustment.

The rockers have been decked already, so maybe I have lost some material elsewhere from a previous rebuild. Heads rebuilt and cut perhaps? any other ideas?

I think I'm going to put it back together with my old adjusters for the time being, and wait for another time to pull the motor and play with the geometry (something i need to research wacko.gif ).

I have also discovered that my proportioning valve has been switched out for a T fitting. smile.gif Good for a brake upgrade in the front later on, bad for braking on long sweeping freeway interchanges. I've felt the rear end want to walk out on me under high speed braking, so i guess thats why.

My shifter bar and the hole that hold the bushing on the trans. are very worn and showing play. The shifter bar has lost alot of material and makes me think it needs to be replaced. The plastic bushing on the transmission was moving all over the place in its hole, probably +.25". The bottom of the hole was worn to match the bar. For better or worse, i put a dab of JB Weld under the bushing to try and keep it from moving as much.

The firewall bushing seemed to have the same amount of play as the new one so i didnt' switch it out, or the ones in the universal joint smoke.gif .

More going on than i was aware of. But it makes me wonder about my current geometry and what benefits getting it set correctly might show.

Starting my MA on Tuesday, so maybe i'll get around to that next 4th of July weekend. wink.gif

thanks again for the feedback, I'll post a picture of my undercarriage later. ohmy.gif

b.
Type 4 Unleashed
I, just saw your other post, the rockers have already been set up by Jake, so all the clearancing has been done.

Just follow the instructions provided with the rockers.

And I am sure Jake will answer any questions you may have.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (brer @ Jul 2 2005, 11:38 PM)
I bolted one of the rockers on and found that when the assembly was tightened up there was no longer any room for adjustment.

The rockers have been decked already, so maybe I have lost some material elsewhere from a previous rebuild.  Heads rebuilt and cut perhaps?  any other ideas?

I think I'm going to put it back together with my old adjusters for the time being, and wait for another time to pull the motor and play with the geometry (something i need to research  :wacko: ).  

I have also discovered that my proportioning valve has been switched out for a T fitting.   smile.gif  Good for a brake upgrade in the front later on, bad for braking on long sweeping freeway interchanges.  I've felt the rear end want to walk out on me under high speed braking, so i guess thats why.

My shifter bar and the hole that hold the bushing on the trans. are very worn and showing play.   The shifter bar has lost alot of material and makes me think it needs to be replaced.  The plastic bushing on the transmission was moving all over the place in its hole, probably +.25".  The bottom of the hole was worn to match the bar.   For better or worse, i put a dab of JB Weld under the bushing to try and keep it from moving as much.  

The firewall bushing seemed to have the same amount of play as the new one so i didnt' switch it out, or the ones in the universal joint  :toke: .

More going on than i was aware of.  But it makes me wonder about my current geometry and what benefits getting it set correctly might show.

Starting my MA on Tuesday, so maybe i'll get around to that next 4th of July weekend.  ;)

thanks again for the feedback,  I'll post a picture of my undercarriage later.  :o

b.

[QUOTE]I bolted one of the rockers on and found that when the assembly was tightened up there was no longer any room for adjustment.

Was that cylinder at TDC?

[QUOTE]The rockers have been decked already, so maybe I have lost some material elsewhere from a previous rebuild. Heads rebuilt and cut perhaps? any other ideas?

That would make a difference, Heads surfaced, and Valve job, that would make the pusrods longer, you'll need to set the Geo and cut pushrods to fit.

What cam?
brer
I must have overlooked those instructions, blink.gif

dont recall seeing them, and cant find them now. Probably victim of my evening cleanup, would have saved me some wondering.

anyone else got a copy of them?

Was that cylinder at TDC?

yes, I set the motor to TDC on #1 before i started and that was the rocker I bolted on as a test fit.
brer
CAM is stock from the the PO told me.

said that he had the case go bad on him, and had it rebuilt with stock parts.
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (brer @ Jul 3 2005, 12:07 AM)
CAM is stock from the the PO told me.

said that he had the case go bad on him, and had it rebuilt with stock parts.

If, you havn't loosened the adjuister on your stock rocker, compare the length of the adjuster on the old rockers to the new rockers, that should give you an idea of how much the heads have been cut, the closer the end of the adjuster is to the rocker, the more the heads and seats have been cut.

You probally have the thick stock aluminum pushrods?
brer
There is approx .125 of the adjuster protruding from both of the stock adjusters.

I compared them side by side with the swivel foot screwed all the way in and the swivel foot has a higher profile, even with the decked rocker arm. this explains why it was hitting.

I had already made a guess at .035 shims under the rockers, but i'm not sure how much the heads were cut.

and yes, it had the stock pushrods in it.

I think I'm starting to see some new parts in my future. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
cut to length pushrod time?
or shim the assemblies to use stock pushrods unsure.gif
brer
shim now

cut later

I've got to be on the road today and it is already apparent that the stock rockers were running too close to the head, so i think shims needs to be done today. Then take it home and find someone who can gimme a little geometry lesson and a workspace for a weekend.

so any guesses on the shims?
brer
oh yea,

The reason i decided to do this was..

a very odd valvetrain noise when cold occasionally.
I guessed it was a bad rocker assembly, so figtured i'd upgrade the assamblies to ones with swivel feets.

Sounded like a rod knock almost.

jeez all this talk of swivel feets makes me want to dance boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
BTW - what did these set you back $$$$$ wise?

brer
$125 from Jake for the assemblies.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brer @ Jul 3 2005, 09:26 AM)
$125 from Jake for the assemblies.

WITH the adjusters and machining?

on the wishlist it goes biggrin.gif
brer
not sure, but i think the adjusters were separate.
brer
correct me if i'm wrong,

cut heads means cutting pushrods, not necessarily shimming the stands.
Aaron Cox
with stock pushrods, it would seem that youd have to shim the rocker assembly the SAME amount that the heads were flycut.
or you shorten your pushrods by the SAME amount that the heads were flycut
brer
it was running alright before i took it apart.
so I'm thinking i should put it back together the way it was until i can set the assemblies up right. sad.gif

new bigger studs is good though, and
at least i got to take it apart right? smile.gif
MarkV
What do the shims look like & who sells them? confused24.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (brer @ Jul 3 2005, 07:54 AM)
There is approx  .125 of the adjuster protruding from both of the stock adjusters.

I compared them side by side with the swivel foot screwed all the way in and the swivel foot has a higher profile, even with the decked rocker arm.   this explains why it was hitting.

I had already made a guess at .035 shims under the rockers, but i'm not sure how much the heads were cut.

and yes, it had the stock pushrods in it.  

I think I'm starting to see some new parts in my future. smile.gif

One thing I forgot to mention last night, was that it may or may not have head gaskets, from the previous build, and if it doesn't, there about .030 thick, and that may be another factor.

This is the 4th of July weekend, not many places open on Sunday or Monday.

[QUOTE]at least i got to take it apart right? smile.gif

And next time it will go alot faster, and the 4th or 5th time you'll do it in your sleep. happy11.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (MarkV @ Jul 3 2005, 10:47 AM)
What do the shims look like & who sells them? confused24.gif

Most VW specialty parts houses, usually carry them, Empi Bug Pac, CB Performance, Fat Performance, Gene Berg, and I'am sure Jake carry's them also.

A shim pac usually have 3 different thicknesses .010, .020, .030, there rectangle, about the shape of the rocker base.
brer
And next time it will go alot faster, and the 4th or 5th time you'll do it in your sleep.

quothe the prophet.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.