Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire Bale for Valve Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
OK, I've done a search both here and on the PP forum and I can't find the answer.

I've finished adjusting the valves on my 914 with the exception of getting the wire bales for the valve covers back into place. headbang.gif

What's the big secret? I just spent the last hour looking at these things and trying different methods. I've got to be missing something simple. confused24.gif
DNHunt
Paul

It's just plain hard. However, be sure you have the valve cover on properly an not cocked up on an edge against the head. I use a open ended wrench to walk the bale up the cover by pushing on side of the bale then the other. I usually slip or do something stupid and get busted up knuckles. Not a lot of fun

Dave
URY914
That what I do. Just take your time and "walk" it up the cover using a wrench or screwdriver. DO NOT use you hand or fingers. Go slow and make sure the cover doesn't slip of the head and the gasket doesn't get pinched.

Paul
Part Pricer
Thanks guys! I'm back and those 'effers are on!

Using the wrench did the trick. pray.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Just crawl under the car, use the palm of your hand and push up!!! They will pop back in place. Try this for removal. Push the corner of a shop rag behind and over the center of the bale. Grab both ends and pull hard.
Aaron Cox
valve cover removal: slip a rag over the bale, and hang from the effin rag!
valve cover reinstall: get under the car- arms having a straight shot at the bale- and use all the effin force and benchpress the mother back into place (first make sure it is seated tho) - Dont forget the cork gaskets smile.gif

also- anyone used the bolton valvecovers (w/ cooling fins)? they ar elike 100 bucks- but look neat
TheCabinetmaker
Don't forget to grease both side of the new gaskets. they won't leak and they will come off the next time without damage.
Part Pricer
I guess you guys drop the HEs to adjust the valves. That's the only way I see of having a straight shot for pushing up with your arms.
TheCabinetmaker
No, I do not drop the h.e.'s. Lay on your back with your feet toward the other head ( 90 degress to the car) I have also found an easier way to complete the process of the adjustment than the ones posted here, in the books, and on Pelican.
Aaron Cox
nope- dont drop the heat exchangers...with the cars one rear wheel on a ramp, and the other on a jackstand, you can reach around the heat exchangers. i can get all but the last valve with my 2 hands. then i enlist the help of my dad (seeing how im 17 huh.gif ) then- the job is done. try putting your head on the tire, prooping your head at the optimal viewing angle smile.gif
URY914
acox914

Don't use the bolt on valve covers. I had them and went back to the OE type.

Paul
rhodyguy
paul, let me guess. they leaked and thats why you went back to stock. i allways find the claim that the engine will run cooler with finned valve covers some what optomistic.

kevin
URY914
They leak at the mounting bolts, they attach to the rocker arm studs with cheap hardware and I agree, the "increased cooling" is BS. The stock steel probably disapates more heat.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.