Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do I install the Stoddard brake line kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I got a gift card to Stoddard and selected the hard brake line kit. It didn't come with instructions and I couldn't easily find any on this site via a Google search.

I've never done this before so I want to make sure I do it right.

1. Is it pretty straight-forward? I figure I can replace one at a time and find the line that fits the one I'm replacing.

2. Drain the brake fluid, first, right?

3. Are there general instructions for doing this sort of thing? I'm not really sure what to look for, since I'm not sure what type of fittings these have.

4. What tools do I need?

5. What methods do I need to know to insure that these are properly installed?

6. The lines look like they have fittings on the end. Do I need to get anything else to go on the brakes?

7. How long should I expect this to take?

8. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!
mepstein
It will be much much easier with the engine out. Buy new soft lines if they are more than a couple years old. Buy a brake line wrench - the kind that wrap most of the way around the nut but have a small opening. Sorry, I forget the name.
I would also have a MAP gas torch. It’s the best for unsticking corroded parts. Available at your local home store.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 31 2019, 11:02 AM) *

Buy a brake line wrench - the kind that wrap most of the way around the nut but have a small opening. Sorry, I forget the name.

They are call flare wrenches.

You may want to use a PB Blaster or Kroil to loosen the rust or corrosion on the connection between the lines.

Greg W.
914Toy
If your car has been exposed to a non-corrosive atmosphere, typical of Southern California, you may not need to replace the hard brake lines.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(914Toy @ Dec 31 2019, 12:58 PM) *

If your car has been exposed to a non-corrosive atmosphere, typical of Southern California, you may not need to replace the hard brake lines.

Yeah, I realized that after I talked with a buddy headbang.gif . I thought the brake lines were rubber. I bought the big kit for replacing EVERYTHING. I may just need to replace the flexible ones that go from the hard lines to the calipers.
I'll check everything out then decide if I want to return the kit and get a fuel line kit instead. Actually, I'll check the fuel lines as well; maybe those are still good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.